Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2014 11:47:36 AM EDT
Back when the new BSG came out ten years ago, I watched/DVR every episode and loved it. Stayed with it until the end.

I just started watching it again on Netflix and I am still blown away by how good this series is. Got through the two part miniseries and just watched "33". "33" has got to be one of the best bsg  episodes of all time. The best part is at the end when the presidents aide, Billy, lets her know that the daily count of all humans needs to be increased by one because a baby was born on the rising star.

It was very powerful watching Roslin add to the human tally after having to take away so many times previously.

Looking forward to rewatching the whole thing again.

What cha hear, Starbuck?

Nothing but the rain.

(Yes, this is a bsg thread)
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Sucked because of the ending.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The one thing that bothered me about 33 was why did the command crew of the Galactica not sleep in shifts? Why did ALL of them feel the need to be awake the whole time? Tighe could sleep for 6 hours, then switch off with Adama, etc?

And the supporting characters like Roslin, Baltar, etc. didn't need to be awake all the way through either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It was a great series.  Not perfect, but still great.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The one thing that bothered me about 33 was why did the command crew of the Galactica not sleep in shifts? Why did ALL of them feel the need to be awake the whole time? Tighe could sleep for 6 hours, then switch off with Adama, etc?

And the supporting characters like Roslin, Baltar, etc. didn't need to be awake all the way through either.
View Quote

...so that they could all be on camera together!

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

That whole episode was full of fail and aids.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#6]
i started re-watching the series last week, even knowing how bad the ending is going to be.

picking up on a lot more nuance this time through.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I LOVED that show until the last season, so this.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oddly enough, the first time I watched it, I was in this camp, but I re-watched it myself last year and the ending was not as bad to me for some reason the second time around?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oddly enough, the first time I watched it, I was in this camp, but I re-watched it myself last year and the ending was not as bad to me for some reason the second time around?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is my take on the ending:

Imagine having sex with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Penelope Cruz at the same time. It's going amazing and then about 2/3's of the way through they kind of seem to lose interest. But who cares right?  It's still fantastic. And then, just as you're winding up for the big three-way finale, Rosie O'Donnell comes out from behind a curtain, naked as a jaybird, throws you down and sits on your face until you suffocate to death.  

That is BSG.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Oh, and I liked the ending. It had a little something for everyone in it.
View Quote

I actually did too.  It was a little out there, but wasn't hesitant to provide real closure.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
OP needs to watch blood & chrome as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will do, thanks for the suggestion

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And don't bother with Caprica.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I watched the entire series recently and one thing I couldn't understand was after they made a truce with the robot dudes and found 1st earth to be dead, why not just go back to kabol or whatever it was called?

Some how 3 or 4 more seasons got squeezed out.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I watched the entire series recently and one thing I couldn't understand was after they made a truce with the robot dudes and found 1st earth to be dead, why not just go back to kabol or whatever it was called?

View Quote

I'm guessing it's because the Cavil faction was still a threat and knew where Kobol was.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe because of all the radiation from the planet wide nuclear strike?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

they did sleep in shifts.

remember when Tigh gave Adama his shift (without Adama realizing) because he needed more sleep?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

remember when Tigh gave Adama his shift (without Adama realizing) because he needed more sleep?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They took 15-20 minute naps during the 33 minutes. Why not do 4-6 hour shifts to get more/better sleep?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Great series.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I watched 3 or 4 episodes from season 2 back to back last night. The ones where the Pegasus shows up and Ensign Roe takes charge then gets whacked by 7 of 9. Good stuff. Too bad the final season was such a steaming pile of shit.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
They took 15-20 minute naps during the 33 minutes. Why not do 4-6 hour shifts to get more/better sleep?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe its impossible to sleep with all the alarms going off when the Cylons appear and the pre-jump alarm is pretty loud too

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's a drama, and it was more dramatic that way?

In any case, the whole show was an allegory for post 9/11 USA. The sense of stress, exhaustion and fear we all sort of felt after 9/11 was represented by the genuine exhaustion the characters felt in 33. Then they shoot down a air space liner.

I remember watching that when it aired and being absolutely stunned. I watched it again recently and I'm still stunned. I've yet to see any artwork that so perfectly captures the countries zeitgeist in that first year as the first season of BSG.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

maybe its impossible to sleep with all the alarms going off when the Cylons appear and the pre-jump alarm is pretty loud too

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have FTL drive and space travel. I'm sure they have a volume knob too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps the acutal FTL event is jarring and wakes people up. A character expresses her distaste for FTL in the miniseries, so they're aware that it's happening.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Was a good show, just watched for the first time last year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Colonel Saul Tigh's flask anyone?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#31]
The ending did suck major ass, but the last episode where Adama was getting ready to fly away with Rolsin and leave Lee all alone on the plains was a tear jerker. You knew he was never coming back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#32]
It was a great series.  I differ from most in thinking that it actually got better toward the end.  The final episode was the best ending to any series I've ever seen.  It took the mystical, epic overtones hinted at throughout the series and delivered a resolution that was actually bigger and more impressive than expected.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

in the original episode, the ship's only function was a decommissioning ceremony, so it seems unlikely that they had a full combat crew aboard from the outset.  they also suffered substantial losses of personnel in multiple contacts with the cylons.  

in this shorthanded state, they had to employ every defensive system on the ship every single jump.  and they were taking damage every single jump.  aside from a 'volume knob' on the 1MC, i suspect that it would be kind of hard to sleep over the sound of missiles hitting your ship.  and then there's damage control.  "sorry, we can't use those guys for the DCP because it's naptime".  if you were off-shift, and awake anyway due to the sounds of explosions every half-hour, could you really not go help?  

and then there are the obvious physical discomforts of FTL, as pointed out by several of the crew.  again, every half hour.

but mainly, it's just a TV show.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

I don't actually think the whole show sucked.
Seasons 1&2 (including the miniseries) were incredible.
Season 3 after New Caprica was a chore to get through.
Season 4 got better, but still not as good as 1&2.
The ending sucked.
Maybe someday I'll be able to appreciate it, but not today.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#35]
i can't lie.  i keep clicking on this thread in hopes of six pix.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed...........I liked that movie as well.    Really liked the opening few minutes when young Adama looks out the shuttle window and sees what he sees.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep hearing about this Blood& Chrome.  How do I get it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I watched the entire series recently and one thing I couldn't understand was after they made a truce with the robot dudes and found 1st earth to be dead, why not just go back to kobol or whatever it was called?

View Quote

Because they had been nuked?  Sorry, Kobol hadn't been nuked, the colonies had been nuked.  I guess they had gone too far and wanted to hook up with lost tribe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon or your local movie rental place shd have it.   Good movie.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm rewatching BSG on Netflix as well. The real BSG.

This is the real Starbuck & Boomer

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#42]
one thing that took me a while to process was that...
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It was released on YouTube by the company that produced the show, so I'm guessing it's still there.

View Quote

I think they took it down when the DVD/BluRay was released.
At least it was gone the last time I looked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Y8lJ8qXB68o/T-RKEiEuAeI/AAAAAAAAHGw/JS-WFf_aYA0/s1600/starbuckboomer.jpg
View Quote

+1  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Y8lJ8qXB68o/T-RKEiEuAeI/AAAAAAAAHGw/JS-WFf_aYA0/s1600/starbuckboomer.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Killer Women:

Tricia Helfer with a 1911 and a Texas Ranger star.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Killer Women:

http://hispanichouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013.09-Killer-Women-Tricia-Helfer-350x260.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Killer Women:

http://hispanichouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013.09-Killer-Women-Tricia-Helfer-350x260.jpg

bless you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#48]

I don't care about the ending, the scene that the quoted poster failed to paste more than makes up for the production/writing/editing/casting/13er failures of the entire series

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't know about you guys, but I never can sleep through hyperspace jumps. Being propelled at right angles to reality wakes me up every time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#50]
[b]Originally Posted By with it until the end.

Nothing but the rain.

(Yes, this is a bsg thread)
View Quote

I may be a fan of BSG

Look at my screen name :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top