Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2014 10:04:36 AM EDT
Any Meteorologists here?  What is the reason for the never ending freakishly cold weather?  Is the jet stream in the Gulf Of Mexico or something?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
<Al Gore> It's Global Warming It's Global Climate Change.</Al Gore>
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
It's winter?  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I liked them better when they were called weathergirls .
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Uneven heating of the earth by the sun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Global warming and Bush.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#6]
This stuff happens when Al Gore goes public.  Weather varies.   Next year it may be warmer and dry.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Pole shift...they aren't telling us.

Or...

Winter
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad said "The NordicTrack is coming down through Canada, bringin' all that arctic air with it."

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This stuff happens when Al Gore goes public.  Weather varies.   Next year it may be warmer and dry.

View Quote
Last two years we hardly got enough ice for any kind of ice fishing.  

ETA this year the ice is great. .

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a professional wrestler, but I can answer your question.
The Sun has gone into "Nap Mode", and for the next three or four decades, we're screwed.
Freezing cold Winters, drought prone Summers, cats and dogs migrating to the poles, and the ozone is moving to the Moon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in your opinion, do the last three years basically average out to close to the norm?  (Yes, three years is a short period to average)
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So in your opinion, do the last three years basically average out to close to the norm?  (Yes, three years is a short period to average)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really,  I am strictly going by fishing..   I can remember as a kid having 18" of ice on some lakes.    As of last week we hit 12"        

In the mid 90s we had some huge snow falls,   Haven't seen much over a foot in the last 14 years    ( although south pa has been getting blasted )

If you ask me do I think weather is changing?  No,  I believe it is cycling, and nothing is happening that hasn't happened in the last 50,000 years  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Sun has gone into "Nap Mode", and for the next three or four decades, we're screwed.
Freezing cold Winters, drought prone Summers, cats and dogs migrating to the poles, and the ozone is moving to the Moon.
View Quote

I thought those cycles ran every 11 years? Or is that just how long a solar maximum is and it is decades between them?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought those cycles ran every 11 years? Or is that just how long a solar maximum is and it is decades between them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ask me.
I'm a professional wrestler.
I already shared all of the wisdom I have on the matter.

There is one more thing I know.
We will be seeing a lot more Sharknados in the next few years.
Find a cave to live in. With a big thick door you can close.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#17]
This explains everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtevF4B4RtQ
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Global warming and Bush.
View Quote

Haliburton.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I bet it will end this summer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
https://mobile.twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi

It is all about weather patterns.  Joe Bastardii finds similar patterns from the past and is able to nail long range forecasts.  He predicted all this in the fall.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My dad said "The NordicTrack is coming down through Canada, bringin' all that arctic air with it."

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Haliburton.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Global warming and Bush.

Haliburton.
Or we can just blame Canada

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi

It is all about weather patterns.  Joe Bastardii finds similar patterns from the past and is able to nail long range forecasts.  He predicted all this in the fall.
View Quote

Cyclical
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any Meteorologists here?  What is the reason for the never ending freakishly cold weather?  Is the jet stream in the Gulf Of Mexico or something?
View Quote

Not quite, but it has dipped down to run over Kansas and Missouri, then pretty much straight East.  Does look like a big cold air mass will run down into the Gulf by tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
All weather is cyclical. In Charles Dikens day is was common to have very cold weather in England. The fossal records show tropical palnts in Alberta. As was said before...weather is doing nothing that it hasn't done before. Just because we don't remember it being this cold/hot/dry/wet does not mean the world is ending.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh yea. And the polar vortex thing. We used to call it an Arctic airmas. When we were stationed at Minot we hated to see that thing shift south.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm a professional wrestler,
View Quote

Like Olympic professional or WWE professional?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#28]
like said above the earth is just going through one of it's phases. The reason why most of us haven't seen this before is because the earth's cycles are measured in decades/centuries and most of us were either not alive or very young the last time this happened. It is getting old though, we've had more double digit negative days than I can ever remember in one year and a lot more 40mph+ winds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm a make believe meteorology guy. Ask me anything.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
All weather is cyclical. In Charles Dikens day is was common to have very cold weather in England. The fossal records show tropical palnts in Alberta. As was said before...weather is doing nothing that it hasn't done before. Just because we don't remember it being this cold/hot/dry/wet does not mean the world is ending.
View Quote

Not saying it does, I'm just tired of having it in the 50's in my house with the heat blasting, and the oven open.  Tomorrows high is supposed to be all of 4 degrees, according to the weather map I just looked at it's actually warmer in Alaska.  It's been like this pretty much for weeks, and it shows no sign of letting up anytime soon.  This is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Whatever the Earth throws at ya, adapt to it because you can't change it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Two words:

"Solar minimum."

Get used to some very cold winters.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Meanwhile, here in Alaska we are enjoying our 3rd week of tropical weather this winter, might hit 50 at my house today
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top