Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/26/2014 3:45:12 AM EDT

He walked into the Saint Barnabas Hospital emergency room complaining of a rash — and never made it out.

Instead, 30-year-old John Verrier was found dead in the waiting room eight hours after he arrived.

“He was found stiff, blue and cold,” a hospital worker told Eyewitness News. “He was there for a while.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/man-30-dies-8-hour-wait-bronx-emergency-room-article-1.1591629#ixzz2rVYX99jT

There’s no policy in place to check the waiting room to see if people waiting to be seen are still there or still alive,” said the ER worker.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/man-30-dies-8-hour-wait-bronx-emergency-room-article-1.1591629#ixzz2rVYvYZNg

The Story
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it more work or less work, for the ER staff, if your patient just dies in the waiting room?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
ERs are extremely overloaded right now.  Ours apparantly had three women miscarry in the waiting room in one weekend because they couldn't be seen.  They are admitting patients to the hallway on the medical surgical floors just to get people out of the ER so they can see people.  That's right, not even admitted to a room.  To a hallway, where people and visitors are just all walking around.

People are going to continue to die.  EMTALA is the root cause.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Patient Zero. And so it begins...

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Man dies while waiting his turn, does not answer when called so they figure he left.

Meh, I don't see a problem here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Would have died anyways in a third world country. Good thing there was at least a hospital. Wonder if there is more to the story? Probably.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ERs are extremely overloaded right now.  Ours apparantly had three women miscarry in the waiting room in one weekend because they couldn't be seen.  They are admitting patients to the hallway on the medical surgical floors just to get people out of the ER so they can see people.  That's right, not even admitted to a room.  To a hallway, where people and visitors are just all walking around.

View Quote

That's been SOP here in NY for as long as I can remember.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Since this guy looks like a thug, I'm gonna figure it's his fault. Somehow.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a warm up for single payer!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Since this guy looks like a thug, I'm gonna figure it's his fault. Somehow.
View Quote

Probably caught something from a batch of bad ink.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see that at the county hospitals, but that's not us.  New for us.

We just started it.  I haven't figured out what the nurses are going to do when someone says they have to drop a deuce.  There are no bathrooms except in patient rooms.  What about if someone starts vomiting blood everywhere like Poltergeist?  There is nothing you can do.  

What is one of them codes?  You code them in the hall in front of everyone I suppose.  

No idea.  Glad I stay in ICU.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Would have died anyways in a third world country. Good thing there was at least a hospital. Wonder if there is more to the story? Probably.
View Quote

LOLWUT?

What good is a hospital if they don't even make an attempt at fixing you up? I can die in a chair sitting at home, no need to go to the hospital for that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:05:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Comes in with a rash then dies later?
Didn't I see that in the movie "Contagion"??
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#14]
My buddy went in for a pain in his foot AND NEVER CAME OUT. Scary
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how long it took them to get him into the morgue?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOLWUT?

What good is a hospital if they don't even make an attempt at fixing you up? I can die in a chair sitting at home, no need to go to the hospital for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOLWUT?

"I have a rash" is pretty low priority in an ER room. "I can't breathe" tend to work better.

Now, ask yourself how many people in that ER had true life threatening problems and how many were there to try to score drugs, free minor medical care, or were just to stupid, cheap, or lazy to go to a urgent care facility for non life threatening problems.

Every time I have walked into an ER, I'd say maybe 1 in 10 people  had an issue where an ER visit was the correct thing to do, the rest had absolutely no immediate or urgent medical reason that couldn't be treated by a plain Dr office.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Pity if he died from something he picked up at the hospital whilst in queue.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#18]
From the looks of him, I'm guessing he wasn't about to discover the cure for cancer. I'm also guessing his "rash" had something to do with a bad personal choice or lifestyle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:17:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would have been awfully fact acting.

The only thing that usually kills someone quickly in a NYC ER is when someone contracts a sudden case of lead poisoning when their homie decides to continue the disagreement that got them there in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Is a rash something you go to the ER for? It's not for me.

How about your primary care physician?

I wonder what the Cause of death was.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#21]
So guy goes in at 1000 at night by himself I guess, family didn't miss him until the hospital calls them after 6 in the am?
now they are distraught & want money....
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is a rash something you go to the ER for? It's not for me.

How about your primary care physician?

I wonder what the Cause of death was.

View Quote

You're not used to life in the big city. You go to the ER for all your ailments so the gubmint can pick up the tab.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#23]
"struggled with drug addiction"

Oh, well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"I have a rash" is pretty low priority in an ER room. "I can't breathe" tend to work better.

Now, ask yourself how many people in that ER had true life threatening problems and how many were there to try to score drugs, free minor medical care, or were just to stupid, cheap, or lazy to go to a urgent care facility for non life threatening problems.

Every time I have walked into an ER, I'd say maybe 1 in 10 people had an issue where an ER visit was the correct thing to do, the rest had absolutely no immediate or urgent medical reason that couldn't be treated by a plain Dr office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOLWUT?

Every time I have walked into an ER, I'd say maybe 1 in 10 people had an issue where an ER visit was the correct thing to do, the rest had absolutely no immediate or urgent medical reason that couldn't be treated by a plain Dr office.

While I'm not disagreeing, I do wonder how many people die at ERs every year while waiting to be seen for something "low priority".
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm sorry that guy died, but in my experience a chinstrap beard is about a 98% reliable douchebag indicator.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"struggled with drug addiction"

Oh, well.
View Quote

Bad batch of Heroin
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is it more work or less work, for the ER staff, if your patient just dies in the waiting room?
View Quote

More paper work, less patient contact.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm sorry that guy died, but in my experience a chinstrap beard is about a 98% reliable douchebag indicator.
View Quote

That and the telltale neck ink
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on how dead they are when you find them.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Keep living in NY.  It is a Liberal shithole.  I escaped from NY/NJ 14 years ago.  Just the fact I don't pay state income tax
paid for my boat.(and then some)

Hospitals near me in FL have billboards with live wait times for the ER.  It is usually somewhere between 6 and 45 minutes.

Oh, yeah, who brought said homeboy to the ER?  He should have voted for Romney and he'd be alive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#31]
They just cut loose 30 odd hospital workers in my area with Obama Care stated as the reason. The butt-hurt in the letters to the editor from the local Dems was amazing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I head away from the city when I need medical attention. Wait times are nil and getting an appointment at a doctors office is painless.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True dat. Possibly salvageable, gets moved to the front of the line.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My buddy went in for a pain in his foot AND NEVER CAME OUT. Scary
View Quote

Dude.  Same thing happened to my grandmother.

She went into a nursing home, and she died.

True story.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Well thank goodness for the Affordable Care Act?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

PMAG POPPING!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Better call Saul!

Pain, suffering and loss of companionship FTW!!!

Yippee!....I mean,...I'm sooooo sad.

<sniff>  write me a check.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:43:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You talk real purdy
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#39]
The sad thing is, those must be the most flattering pictures they could find of this fine citizen. What must the rejected images depict?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Did they find him in a bathroom stall with a needle in his arm?

Heroin will do that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Rash+ rapid death might be this:

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Rash+ rapid death might be this:

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/DC59387C-44F5-4DA1-AB19-0F85A675EDD1_zpsgxx5zcwq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/DC59387C-44F5-4DA1-AB19-0F85A675EDD1_zpsgxx5zcwq.jpg</a>
View Quote

Meningitis?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

DAY ONE
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#44]
what the heel are those spots on his arms????????
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Last trip my wife made to a local ER due to an auto accident see spent the entire 5 hrs in the hallway, thanks Brandon regional.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Rash + quick death = bacterial meningitis until proven otherwise if I had to guess.

I'd hope our ER would not have such a long wait time, but then again, how soon did he die and when did they call for him?  Maybe his mental status was altered much earlier and he didn't respond to them calling for him - so unless the waiting area is video monitored and they go to review it, we might never know what happened.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:10:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Likely some sort of fatal rash.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Meningitis?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Meningitis?

And there is a vaccine for it.    Teens usually get a second shot of it just before leaving for college.  Although the neck tat makes me think the departed might not have taken that route.

Hospital officials insisted Verrier, who had struggled with drug addiction, was checked numerous times.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Typical Bronx street mope, I'd love to see his list of priors...

ETA

Is Abuelita a man???

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably started as bumps on his balls and worked its way up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top