User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 8:57:59 PM EDT
Please delete.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
1st world problems?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Get in writing on the estimate / work order.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Did the other driver have insurance?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Please delete
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's actually very fast.   Typical is 2-6 weeks, depending on parts available and then the paintwork (most time spent in paint prep and finish, which you are skipping).

Make sure you know what you are getting into if you are going to change the color of the vehicle, you'll need to do door jambs, underside of hood, sides of engine compartment, underside of deck lid... etc. etc.   It's a big PITA.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also told me it will 10 days to fix, is that normal to take that long?

That's actually very fast.   Typical is 2-6 weeks, depending on parts available and then the paintwork (most time spent in paint prep and finish, which you are skipping).

Make sure you know what you are getting into if you are going to change the color of the vehicle, you'll need to do door jambs, underside of hood, sides of engine compartment, underside of deck lid... etc. etc.   It's a big PITA.

That really isn't extraordinarily fast. I worked at a big shop in NoVa and my team (5 people) cycle time was like 2.4 days. ie. On average a car came in and was out the door 2.4 days later. I may be underestimating his damage but for what it's worth we did everything from cars that had trees fall on them to simple fender benders.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You have trouble with "car repair peoples" because...........

A. you don't sound like you know enough about your car to know what sounds like a reasonable repair to fix the issue you brought it in for.  Or have any clue when something is wrong and blame them for trying to "trick you" when you should have known about the issue they've brought to your attention way in advance.

B. you seem to just take your car to any old shop down the street from your house instead of doing what everybody else does, RESEARCH.  I hate to break it to ya but auto repair places aren't like McDonalds, everyone one of them is different, some good, some bad, some expensive and some cheap.  Gotta do research man if you're going to trust the 2nd biggest investment of your life with just anybody.

I used to work in the automotive business and saw this shit all the time.  People would have metal sticking out of their tire or only have a 1/2 Qt of oil left in their car but would swear that I was trying to get them to buy extra services and that they didn't think that stuff was necessary to repair/replace.  

Not ragging on you man but you gotta get educated if you don't want to get taken advantage of or make bad choices.  That goes for everything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at the insurance company estimate in the totals.

Body Labor
Refinish Labor
Paint Supplies
Tax

Refinish labor needs to be refunded to you, along with paint supplies and the appropriate tax. I would expect there to be more than $500 in paintwork on a rear bumper/rear body panel/trunk job between labor/supplies.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got into a nasty wreck.  It was the other person fault.  A few days ago I drop mine car off at nearby shop to be repair.  I told them to only fix the body damage and not paint it.  I was planning on repainting the whole car a different color later anyway.  They told me it will $500 off the total cost.

But now I’m have a lot worries about this.  I’m worried that the shop will just paint the car and charge for it despite me telling not to.  I have a lot bad experience dealing with car repair peoples.  Every single times it seem to me that they only want to extort the maximum amount of money out me.

If the shop do works that I tell them not to, is there anything I can do?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/longnguy/12042556636/" target="_blank">http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/12042556636_a5de2081e0.jpg</a>
acc2 by gundamzaku999, on Flickr
View Quote

Judging by the damage shown in your picture, that should be a one week repair. Plus the time needed to orde and receive the parts.

If an insurance company is paying the bill, they will most likely require that the job be completed, paint and all.
They have a responsibility to the leinholder to return the vehicle to its' undamaged condition.

HTH
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the same shit lol

every month something breaks in my car and its usually electronic. luckily most of the stuff I can actually fix myself since I am kinda tiny and im used to working under it

Try rockauto man they are pretty good at parts they sent me a wrong part once but I got my $$ back took a while with cust service tho

Idk sometimes I don't want to fuck something up so that "repair job" turns into a fuckin big ass repair job-take something apart and be unable to put it back on or

I had a problem last summer with the whole engine block of my car. 6 ppl I invited to my dorm were partying and I asked them to do a favor to get the engine out of the car( one of the reasons I planned the party and the other being it was my 2nd year of college)......so we got it out and all, (its fuckin HEAVY and has lots of sharp edges)....put it in the garage. I took care of the valves and stuff, cleaned the rust out(car was made in 1983, afterall but advertised as a)
n 84

Then came the dilemma of putting a engine block, which weights more then me (or about as much)back into the car itself...I really didn't know what to do. no way I could lift it to hook it up.

long story short In the end I wasted nearly 150$$ to call in a mechanic and a tow truck to put everything in. I should have just took it to the mechanic in the first place so he would clean it up
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
OP wrote:  "I have a lot bad experience dealing with car repair peoples"

Maybe it's because of situations like this.  Why don't you just have him paint the whole car right now? (the same color - see below)  It won't cost that much more - unless there is more body work involved.  

In all fairness, you're asking them to do half the repair.  Personally, I'd pass on your job.  Over the years, I've seen guys who were trying to cut corners show up a year later.  They waited too long to get paint down, and now they have a corrosion, rust, or surface problem that needs repair.  They typically want me to repair it again, for free.  I would tell them the same thing I'll tell you:  Bodywork with no primer, paint, and clear coat is just asking for trouble.   I'd urge you to do the repair correctly the first time.  

Edit:  Painting a car a different color is a huge expense to do it right, and could be a real waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Bro, car looks totaled... Sorry
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I got into a nasty wreck.  It was the other person fault.  A few days ago I drop mine car off at nearby shop to be repair.  I told them to only fix the body damage and not paint it.  I was planning on repainting the whole car a different color later anyway.  They told me it will $500 off the total cost.

But now I’m have a lot worries about this.  I’m worried that the shop will just paint the car and charge for it despite me telling not to.  I have a lot bad experience dealing with car repair peoples.  Every single times it seem to me that they only want to extort the maximum amount of money out me.

If the shop do works that I tell them not to, is there anything I can do?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/longnguy/12042556636/" target="_blank">http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/12042556636_a5de2081e0.jpg</a>
acc2 by gundamzaku999, on Flickr
View Quote

That was rough.  Is English not your native language?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Please delete.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A few years ago I needed to replaces the front struts on mine old car.  I took it to a mechanic with good reviews online.  We agreed on total cost of the work.  When I came back to pick up the car, he want $350 more.  He claimed he did five hours of additional labors, $70/hr.  Do that sound normal to anyone?  
View Quote

It was probably also totaled
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
find a new shop.  

I use a "one man" shop.  The guy makes it very clear what he's going to do.  
Never any surprises.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A few years ago I needed to replaces the front struts on mine old car.  I took it to a mechanic with good reviews online.  We agreed on total cost of the work.  When I came back to pick up the car, he want $350 more.  He claimed he did five hours of additional labors, $70/hr.  Do that sound normal to anyone?  

View Quote

Ok, you must be trolling. No one can possibly ask if that's normal with a straight face.

Do you talk the same way you write? It could possibly be a miscommunication on what work you want done if so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok, you must be trolling. No one can possibly ask if that's normal with a straight face.

Do you talk the same way you write? It could possibly be a miscommunication on what work you want done if so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definite trolling.  No one talks english that worst.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top