Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2014 5:57:32 PM EDT
Does anyone else find this a disrespectful, or even comically mocking thing to say or write about a dead person?

Since I was young, whenever someone drew a tombstone, they always put "R.I.P." on it., like it was funny to draw that.  We had a Halloween play when I was in grammar school, and there were several tombstones on stage, and they all said "R.I.P." on them, and we all thought it was a funny thing to put on them.

Now, when I see it, it just seems like such a dick thing to write or say. I always think someone who uses it is some sort of asshole who is mocking the dead. And so many people use it here. Does it carry a negative connotation for anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Rest in Peace is mocking?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Not an ammo thread?  I am disappoint
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
wtf are you talking about?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an ammo thread?
View Quote

At first I was like "Really, there is at least 2 on the 1st page.."

Then I tried to read the OP and got bored..

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the feeling that the OP doesn't know what R.I.P. stands for in this context....
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
In before the Wat lady.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I hesitate to respond without knowing if OP knows what R.I.P. stands for.

ETA: Beat...ugh
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone else find this a disrespectful, or even comically mocking thing to say or write about a dead person?

Since I was young, whenever someone drew a tombstone, they always put "R.I.P." on it., like it was funny to draw that.  We had a Halloween play when I was in grammar school, and there were several tombstones on stage, and they all said "R.I.P." on them, and we all thought it was a funny thing to put on them.

Now, when I see it, it just seems like such a dick thing to write or say. I always think someone who uses it is some sort of asshole who is mocking the dead. And so many people use it here. Does it carry a negative connotation for anyone else?
View Quote

Drunk thread? How in the blue fuck is Rest In Peace even a little disrespectful?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Some people really need to root around to find shit to be offended about.  

R.  est
I.    in
P.   eace

Doesn't sound too disrespectful to me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Requiescat in pace is the original phrase. RIP is the english version. I don't find it offensive.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is buttplugs
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not an ammo thread?  I am disappoint
View Quote

I thought for sure that this would be dupe #87 for the day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

R.  est
I.    in
P.   eace

View Quote

Usually liberals.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. "Rest in Peace" may be trite, but not mocking. Abbreviating it as "R.I.P." seems dickish. Like, "that's a shame" does when said with a certain inflection. Like, someone is saying "yeah, sorry about that, but not sorry enough to type out or say all those words, so I'll just abbreviate".
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
A solid out of
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

R.  est
I.    in
P.   eace

View Quote

Lol at "iin"

Not disrespectful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread needs to R.I.P.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No. "Rest in Peace" may be trite, but not mocking. Abbreviating it as "R.I.P." seems dickish. Like, "that's a shame" does when said with a certain inflection. Like, someone is saying "yeah, sorry about that, but not sorry enough to type out or say all those words, so I'll just abbreviate".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#22]
No, but the INRI on the crucifix has always offended me.  It was put there by the Romans to mock Jesus.  Why put it on a crucifix?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope, it's just you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]
In the original Latin:  requiescat in pace.

The English translation posted a few times above mine.

It is not disrespectful.

ETA:  it seams I was beaten to the punch again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, I feel the same way.  It seems so generic.  I hate the term.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really believe you are over-thinking this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#27]
not...sure...if...dupe
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lol at "iin"

Not disrespectful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

R.  est
I.   in
P.   eace

Lol at "iin"

Not disrespectful.

LOL  My bad.   I are liksdexik.  

My fingers studder sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I have always assumed that R.I.P. came to prominence due to grave stone engravers charging by the letter. People of olden yore wanted the sentiment, but they didn't want to pay a lot of money.

And from that angle it is the sentiment and context that make the phrase. If you are genuinely bereaved then R.I.P. is completely appropriate.

If you want something mocking stenciled on the side of your sick lowrider then yes it can have that effect as well.

However most people don't break out in laughter when they see a headstone or a memorial just as most people don't express sympathy and condolences to the driver of the lowrider... well, not always anyway.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#31]
CSB
RIP
LULz
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No, but the INRI on the crucifix has always offended me.  It was put there by the Romans to mock Jesus.  Why put it on a crucifix?
View Quote

Because you don't know what it means. "Initiate Nail Removal Immediately".
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#33]
You can call me crazy, but I actually do kind of see that. I couldn't tell you whether I have ever posted it or not, but now that you mention it, it is a little bit curt in that to me it is kind of akin to using text type or whatever you call it when people use OMG or WTF or CUL8R. I think the meaning is there, but when you are talking about an actual dead person you can probably take the time to write all three words out. I don't think it is a big deal, but, I could see why someone might find it a little odd or off putting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy I didn't think this thread could get any dumber
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can call me crazy, but I actually do kind of see that. I couldn't tell you whether I have ever posted it or not, but now that you mention it, it is a little bit curt in that to me it is kind of akin to using text type or whatever you call it when people use OMG or WTF or CUL8R. I think the meaning is there, but when you are talking about an actual dead person you can probably take the time to write all three words out. I don't think it is a big deal, but, I could see why someone might find it a little odd or off putting.
View Quote

kthxbye
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
If someone put " I hope necrophiliacs steal your corpse". That would be disrespectful. Rest in peace, not so disrespectful.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So R. I. P. is disrespectful, but crucifixion jokes are OK. Gotcha.

Here's another abbreviation: GFY.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

At least you're staying classy and not resorting to personal attacks.

YSLADBIWRYBIDDTTBYSACF.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
wtf are you talking about?

View Quote

Apparently my post was not fucked up enough for you to actually type "what the fuck", as opposed to "wtf". I mean, you couldn't even be bothered to capitalize it as "WTF", meaning "What The Fuck", which would have had greater impact. Of course. if you really wanted to express your feelings, you could have typed "What The Actual Fuck", which I'm sure everyone will agree would have better conveyed your level of confoundment at my musing. You could even have capitalized the entire phrase for greater emphasis.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned all my sacrilegious jokes in the Catholic schools I attended. I probably never would have heard them in public schools. How's that twist your noodle?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I think it is more appropriate to spell it out, but the short form is not meant to mock.

There's generally not much that you can say to the bereaved that is not somewhat trite, but it's better than saying nothing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Holy I didn't think this thread could get any dumber
View Quote

ARFCOM DELIVERS!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I learned all my sacrilegious jokes in the Catholic schools I attended. I probably never would have heard them in public schools. How's that twist your noodle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter where you learned it.. just seems hypocritical.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well said
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#45]
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, that good enough for you Original Poster?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hypocritical, yes. But a bit on the nose, don't you think?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think it is more appropriate to spell it out, but the short form is not meant to mock.

There's generally not much that you can say to the bereaved that is not somewhat trite, but it's better than saying nothing.

View Quote

I was going to post the same thing.

Whatever you say, no matter how much you mean to comfort someone, often sounds trite. At least that is how I feel. Once in a while someone posts something that is right on the mark, but "You have my sincere condolences" seems lacking, no matter how much you mean it. I often feel uncomfortable offering my condolences, regardless of what I say. I think the person grieving appreciates the thought, however it is expressed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

This thread is buttplugs
View Quote
Post 13 nails it

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Not disrespectful at all.

If you argue that wishing someone rests in peace is disrespectful because they didn't do it in a specific manner, you are looking for something to be offended about.  All that matters is the person's intent.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I think "rest in peace" originally came from "requiescat in pace" which is essentially Latin for the same thing (I think.)

Nothing mocking about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top