Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 2:51:08 PM EDT
I'm almost embarrassed to admit I've never had this stuff.  I bought a jar today.  

What do you guys use it in, on?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm almost embarrassed to admit I've never had this stuff.  I bought a jar today.  

What do you guys use it in, on?
View Quote

Oh that stuff, I mix it with butter and lather my asshole
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
everything
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You can put that shit on anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I must be the one guy in the world who has never been able to make himself like that stuff.  The one thing I like siracha on is these things...which are FANTASTIC..especially since I pretty much found them by accident one day.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Lube...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Great w/ stir fry.

or make some home made Nuoc Mam

Nuoc Mam Sauce (my variation of what I found on the internet)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups water
8 tablespoons rice vinegar
8 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
9 tablespoons fish sauce

Optional, add lime juice to taste

Prep Time:
5 mins

Directions:
Boil water with vinegar and sugar; allow the sugar to melt. Remove from the stove and let it cool a bit. Then, add all of the other ingredients. When fully cooled, place into a quart size jar. Shake before using and store leftovers in the refrigerator.

View Quote

Aloha, Mark

PS....try dropping a bit of the Chili Garlic Sauce into your Pho.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
You mean Huy Fong chili garlic?

I put it in ramen noodles, on rice, on hummus (about to have this right now), on Chinese food, in grits, on a sandwich, on a hot dog, pizza, etc..
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Eggs and hash mostly (breakfast), alternate with Tabasco.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Same stuff I would use Frank's Red Hot on.  I like both and use them interchangeably, giving Frank's a slight edge in taste.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mean Huy Fong chili garlic?

I put it in ramen noodles, on rice, on hummus (about to have this right now), on Chinese food, in grits, on a sandwich, on a hot dog, pizza, etc..
View Quote

I didn't realize that Sriracha was the name of the sauce and not the manufacturer brand name.  Corrected.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The flavor mixes perfectly with evoo on many Mediterranean dishes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Two big ol spoonfuls in the ramen noodles, then eat 'em.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
On com tam

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't had the chili garlic stuff yet, but I use the rooster sauce on almost everything
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I mix it with a little bit of soy sauce and use it as a dipping sauce or poured over rice
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Haven't had the chili garlic stuff yet, but I use the rooster sauce on almost everything
View Quote

I can take or leave sriracha, but the chili garlic jars have a dedicated shelf.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]

I must find this!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI the beginners guide........

Sriracha Sauce AKA: Cock Sauce

Chili Garlic Sauce

And, Chiu Chow Chili Oil (mix well before use)

All of them taste great with Pho.  I prefer Chiu Chow Chili Oil in my Pho.  I use a 50/50 mix of Sriracha and Hoisin Sauce (plum sauce) to dip my meat into or it could also be added to your soup.

You'll find all of these sauces available on your table at a good VN Pho restaurant.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Been curious about that stuff for a long time, now I am gonna have to get some
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/EssentialsforVNandChineseCooks001.jpg

Chili Garlic Sauce
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/EssentialsforVNandChineseCooks002.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/EssentialsforVNandChineseCooks003.jpg

All of them taste great with Pho.  I prefer Chiu Chow Chili Oil in my Pho.  I use a 50/50 mix of Sriracha and Hoisin Sauce (plum sauce) to dip my meat into or it could also be added to your soup.

You'll find all of these sauces available on your table at a good VN Pho restaurant.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I've mixed it in with pasta sauce and also poured it onto nachos.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
It's like sriracha, but better and actually tasty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Great w/ stir fry.

Aloha, Mark

PS....try dropping a bit into your Pho.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Great w/ stir fry.

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups water
8 tablespoons sugar
9 tablespoons fish sauce

Prep Time:
5 mins

Directions:
Boil water with vinegar and sugar; allow the sugar to melt. Remove from the stove and let it cool a bit. Then, add all of the other ingredients. When fully cooled, place into a quart size jar. Shake before using and store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Aloha, Mark

PS....try dropping a bit into your Pho.

Unless I'm really wrong nouc mam is fish sauce.  Your recipe would be for nuoc mom cham.  Your recipe sounds great!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Ha. That's what I was thinking.

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/EssentialsforVNandChineseCooks001.jpg

Chili Garlic Sauce
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/EssentialsforVNandChineseCooks002.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/EssentialsforVNandChineseCooks003.jpg

Aloha, Mark

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BFLJ7JzceYo/Tx7ysfoQiBI/AAAAAAAAA8I/6F3awDWjIh0/s1600/Lysol-Antibacterial-Kitchen-Cleaner-LSS-_i_LBM61177S.jpg

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unless I'm really wrong nouc mam is fish sauce.  Your recipe would be for nuoc mom cham.  Your recipe sounds great!
View Quote

Not being a native speaker of the VN language and not knowing the nuances.......I yield to you.  

I don't even know if "Nouc Mam" is the same as  "Nouc Mom" with or without the "Cham."  Or maybe it was a typo?  

So, at any rate......at the VN restaurant I say, "Could I have some Nouc Mam with my pork chops (or other foods)?" and they bring me the sweetened sauce (like the recipie).

Usually, I can find the raw "fish sauce" already on the table among with the other sauces.  That stuff, is very salty.  I use it to soak my green chili pepper slices (Korean word: "Gochu" or "Gochi" when I say it).  Yes, I'm in a VN restaurant but, what can I say.  I eat all kinds of foods.  Another use for it, is to soak those blood squares.

At any rate, for the recipie, I buy Three Crabs Brand fish sauce.  The bottle says: Nouc Mam Nhi.    

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Great stuff!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
everything
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lube...
View Quote

ok, not everything

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ok, not everything

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lube...

ok, not everything

Well, hell, FPGNWI.

FirstPostGetsNailedWithIt

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Great w/ stir fry.

Aloha, Mark

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Great w/ stir fry.

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups water
8 tablespoons sugar
9 tablespoons fish sauce

Prep Time:
5 mins

Directions:

Aloha, Mark

What do you usually use this sauce on?  Fish, beef, chicken?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Anything!  I use it in conjunction with Sriracha.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Eating some on a tuna sandwich as I type this. Light coat of butter on one side of a hoagie roll, then spread a layer of chili garlic sauce. Add rest of ingredients and eat. Also good on spam sandwiches, eggs, rice and chicken.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What do you usually use this sauce on?  Fish, beef, chicken?
View Quote

I use my home made Nouc Mam w/all kinds of meats and even fish can be dipped into the sauce before eating.  It's just a matter of taste.  

Next time you're at the VN resturant, order the BBQ pork chops.  Typically, the plate will come with pork chops, a bowl of the sweetened fish sauce, rice, pickeled dikon (Japanese word), sliced carrots, and some lettuce w/sliced cucumbers.  So, beside dipping the pork chops, you could also dip your veggies into it.  JT_26 posted a pic of the pork chop plate.

Usually, that pork chop plate is just delicious.

Aloha, Mark

PS....forgot to mention that the VN also usually serve the sweetened fish sauce w/rice vermicelli noodles mixed with various meats and veggies in a bowl.  Pour the sauce over the mixed goodies.  Sorry but I forgot the name, maybe it was:  Bun Cha?  But anyway.....the name of the dish changes with every variation of added meat or veggies.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Been curious about that stuff for a long time, now I am gonna have to get some
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not being a native speaker of the VN language and not knowing the nuances.......I yield to you.  

I don't even know if "Nouc Mam" is the same as  "Nouc Mom" with or without the "Cham."  Or maybe it was a typo?  

So, at any rate......at the VN restaurant I say, "Could I have some Nouc Mam with my pork chops (or other foods)?" and they bring me the sweetened sauce (like the recipie).

Usually, I can find the raw "fish sauce" already on the table among with the other sauces.  That stuff, is very salty.  I use it to soak my green chili pepper slices (Korean word: "Gochu" or "Gochi" when I say it).  Yes, I'm in a VN restaurant but, what can I say.  I eat all kinds of foods.  Another use for it, is to soak those blood squares.

At any rate, for the recipie, I buy Three Crabs Brand fish sauce.  The bottle says: Nouc Mam Nhi.    

Aloha, Mark
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

You should order some Red Boat.

Unfortunately, once you try it you will be spoiled and it might be hard to go back to any lesser fish sauce.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#36]
scrambled eggs, stir-frys, sausage and ground beef scrambles.  Don't like to over use it and overpower other subtle flavors.

It would be great on real Korean ramyon noodles.  The home-made kind like I used to get in Pusan at the street markets and snack bars.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top