Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/24/2014 8:24:02 PM EDT
We all got Knox with the android 4.3 upgrade.  My phone now loses 20% battery over night.  Downloaded high quality voice for use with s voice and maps and my phone keeps freezing up saying the voice app stopped.  I loved this phone until last month.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
cyanogenmod.   just sayin.  

:)
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This. 4.3 was a dud. Go back to 4.2.2 or step up to a 4.4.x based ROM.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I got knox-free, de-bloated 4.3 on my note 2.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using CyanogenMod. I tried the AOKP firmware but it was still to buggy.

So far, I'm much happier with Cyanogen. Though I'm still keeping an eye out for a good 4.4 AOKP rom.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed. Mine drops wifi all the time saying it's too slow. I need to root like my last phone just didn't want to spend the time on it. lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on what carrier he's using it may not be an option. I was, luckily, an early adopter and got an S4 with the MDL (?) firmware that was exploitable with Loki. I'm running CM 10.1 stable release and love it, but most people on Verizon and AT&T don't have the option of ROMs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to charge my phone on the way home at 4...this is a problem.  In the shop we have issues with connections so I have been putting the damn thing on airplane mode.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Do a factory restore.

Verizon pushed an update to my Note2 and it was laggy and a battery eater immediately afterward. A restore fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep my note 2 is fucked. It used to be so fast I preferred using it to the desktop pc. The battery was amazing too. Now everything lags. When I go to enter the unlock code the screen times out and goes black. I have to hit the button and ever again but then the new unlock screen has the emergency number entry in that place so I accidentally start entering it there.

Using Chrome, tabs will go static and take up to 30 seconds to be active when they are on pages that haven't been accessed for some time. This freezes everything.

The list goes on and on. It's happening to my friends with the note on sprint as well.

It's some real bull shit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Samsung sucks at Android upgrades.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We all got Knox with the android 4.3 upgrade.  My phone now loses 20% battery over night.  Downloaded high quality voice for use with s voice and maps and my phone keeps freezing up saying the voice app stopped.  I loved this phone until last month.
View Quote

You deserve what you get when you buy a phone that doesn't run native android.  If Samsung wants to make the S5 a hit, abandon their touch wiz UI, run native android and focus on hardware, specifically battery above all else, and a few apps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You deserve what you get when you buy a phone that doesn't run native android.  If Samsung wants to make the S5 a hit, abandon their touch wiz UI, run native android and focus on hardware, specifically battery above all else, and a few apps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I deserve that huh?  Right because I strolled right by all the vanilla note 2s that don't exist and said sign me up for the shit they are going to break. Wtf?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I called customer support about weird shit my S4 was doing..
they said to re-install the OS

they have crappy CS for their SmartTV's too ... bloody wankers
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
They recently updated my S3 and I fucking hate what they did to it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#16]
People have android phones with stock roms?

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

yes, only because we don't have a clue how to do anything different.  This new update has made my phone dependent on a power source.  I used to be able to go 2 days before hooking up to a charger.  Now I am about half way through my work day before I am hooking up.

Do they even bother testing the shit they release?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad I found this thread.  I think my battery was just going to shit very quickly.  But its the update eh?

Fuckin fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
yes, only because we don't have a clue how to do anything different.  This new update has made my phone dependent on a power source.  I used to be able to go 2 days before hooking up to a charger.  Now I am about half way through my work day before I am hooking up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy an iPhone.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They recently updated my S3 and I fucking hate what they did to it.
View Quote

Same here. I hate my S3 after the latest "upgrade". Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#22]
It's been slowing down my hotspot connection...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did that on my S4 before 4.3 hit, so my shit didn't get locked down. CM10.2 is pretty quick on it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#24]
mine has no issues at all with 4.3  maybe im lucky

On att as my carrier
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:30:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I have 4.3 on my S4 and haven't noticed any difference at all in battery life or any problems with any apps.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Biggest bug Ive noticed is , at some point in time , my S3 wont let me post a reply on arfcom

Do a reset and its fine .....for awhile.

As for the rest of the gobbledegook in this thread , I have no idea what any of that gibberish is

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep my note 2 is fucked.

Check out that link I posted upthread.

It's a very lean 4.3 image based on the official update, but with all the extraneous crap taken out of it.

Runs fast and uses very little battery.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

People know what roms means?

Seriously, ya'll need to stop using faggot acronyms and explain shit for normal people.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Go into apps and disable all the bloatware. Use a different launcher, nova is good. Apps you download also cause problems, so check your apps. My daughters S3 was fine after the 4.3 update on
ATT until she downloaded apps that were causing her phone to lock up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:15:27 AM EDT
[#30]
When I first upgraded to 4.3 on my S3, the battery life went to shit.

Then, after a couple full charge cycles, it seems even better than before and has been great since.  I'm not a techie, so I don't know if that's even possible, or if I'm crazy.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:18:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Go into apps and disable all the bloatware. Use a different launcher, nova is good. Apps you download also cause problems, so check your apps. My daughters S3 was fine after the 4.3 update on
ATT until she downloaded apps that were causing her phone to lock up.
View Quote

I have no idea what any of that is. Now , lets say I go into settings and see lots of stuff "currently running" How the fuck do I know which ones are safe to disable? Is this the "bloatware" ? Stupid shit you dont need?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Bloatware = extra crap that manufacturers like to load on computers.

ROM in this case is the operating system and whatever add-ons come with it, which resides in your phone's Read Only Memory. An image is a version of this that you can write (flash) to your phone.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go into apps and disable all the bloatware. Use a different launcher, nova is good.
View Quote

You don't realize that the terms "bloatware" and "launcher" and "nova" are phone-fag terms that normal people don't understand.....do you?

This is an AR15 enthusiast forum. Therefore it is o.k. to use terms like "milspec", "TDP" and "fruit plate". However, this is NOT a phone enthusiast site. So please stop using phone-fag phrases, and just be clear and specific.

Please and thank you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Rooting these phones has never been easier. Just be careful if you already installed 4.3 (because knox will make the proces a  little different).

I'm also running cyanogen.  It's incredible how much these phones can really do.

The beauty of an open source os, I guess.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ROM in this case is the operating system and whatever add-ons come with it, which resides in your phone's Read Only Memory. An image is a version of this that you can write (flash) to your phone.

View Quote

Gotcha
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's a very lean 4.3 image based on the official update, but with all the extraneous crap taken out of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep my note 2 is fucked.

Nice! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:39:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Gotcha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha

They also don't like you to be able to remove it.  I have some apps on my moto x, like the NFL app, which my phone won't let me delete.  It sits there, taking up resources, and I NEVER use it, I refuse to use ANY forced bloatware out of principal.  I'll buy something else, but I won't use bloatware.  Let me delete them, and I'll consider it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You don't realize that the terms "bloatware" and "launcher" and "nova" are phone-fag terms that normal people don't understand.....do you?

This is an AR15 enthusiast forum. Therefore it is o.k. to use terms like "milspec", "TDP" and "fruit plate". However, this is NOT a phone enthusiast site. So please stop using phone-fag phrases, and just be clear and specific.

Please and thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go into apps and disable all the bloatware. Use a different launcher, nova is good.

Please and thank you.

No problem old timer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Please and thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please and thank you.

Sounds like you'd be better served with a Jitterbug.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They also don't like you to be able to remove it.  I have some apps on my moto x, like the NFL app, which my phone won't let me delete.  It sits there, taking up resources, and I NEVER use it, I refuse to use ANY forced bloatware out of principal.  I'll buy something else, but I won't use bloatware.  Let me delete them, and I'll consider it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha

You can't uninstall it unless you've rooted the phone, but in the apps area of the settings you can "disable" those bloatware apps. That will prevent them from starting and it'll remove them from your app drawer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL. It's a pretty sad commentary on the state of Android phones when it's expected that people have undertaken the task of rooting, or even unlocking bootloaders and flashing third party ROMs to rectify the horrible OEM experience on their phones.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LOL. It's a pretty sad commentary on the state of Android phones when it's expected that people have undertaken the task of rooting, or even unlocking bootloaders and flashing third party ROMs to rectify the horrible OEM experience on their phones.
View Quote

One of the reasons I went to an iPhone.

Because iOS works great, for what a normal end-user does, RIGHT OUT OF THE FUCKING BOX.

I shouldn't have to mod anything on a phone just so it can have decent battery life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:54:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because iOS works great, for what a normal end-user does, RIGHT OUT OF THE FUCKING BOX.

I shouldn't have to mod anything on a phone just so it can have decent battery life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. I just got tired of dealing with unlocking bootloaders, ROMs with bugs, undervolting, and constant fiddling. The more I played with that stuff the more I realized I just want a phone that's stable, has great battery life, is relatively bug-free, and doesn't require me to fix all the BS that the OEM fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the vast majority of Android phone owners have never done this.  The same way the vast majority of 1911 owners have never customized their guns.  But there are always people who WANT to customize shit or change it and they are drawn to Androids the same way they're drawn to 1911s because you CAN'T customize or change an iPhone and there's not that much you can do to a Glock or an HK.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Seriously, ya'll need to stop using faggot acronyms and explain shit for normal people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If common acronyms rustle your jimmies that much maybe you should try Google.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit, The first thing I do when I get a new phone is throw cyanogen on it. It has been in a constant state of development for years. I dont know what a horrible oem experience is because I never even give them a chance.

Its just like when people bitch about Win8 and wont take the 2 minutes to install Classic shell.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please and thank you.

Sounds like most people who own phones and just want them to work without ant hassle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

yes, only because we don't have a clue how to do anything different.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, only because we don't have a clue how to do anything different.  

that's not possible

I was assured that all android users were digerati intelligentsia
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wut?

you don't want a lifestyle centered around bootloaders and ROMs?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top