Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2002 7:37:04 AM EDT
Brought home an small angel fish last night.It was about 7:30 and he was fine after we released him [floated him with light off  for 20 minutes].He was perky and swam around normal exploring no darting or anything.Looked at him and by 10:30pm or so he was on the bottom on his side gasping slow and hard.By 12 he was dead.The other angel fish we have had for a week or more is now doing the same thing so we took him out of the tank.

I noticed at the store one had a spot behind his gill that was reddish[not his gills]Now the one that is still alive has kinda the same thing.It may have been there but didnt notice it.I thought it was just a normal coloring.Both were light in coloring.The dark one that died doesnt have it as far as I can tell.

Can anyone tell me what happened? Im betting the store has a lot less angel fish when we go back tonight.

The tank also has clown loach,red tail shark,mollies,candy tetra and a pacostomus
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm...

Sounds like you're in need of an Icthyologist.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to add all the other fish are fine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
How long has your tank been established?

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#4]
About 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]
We need to know how big your tank is (i.e. how many gallons).  What kind of filtration system.  Use live rock/live sand?  Without more info, it sounds like you have too many fish in your tank.  Make sure ammonia level is zero.  Make sure nitrite is zero.  Make sure Ph is between 8.0 - 8.4.  Make sure water temp is between 75 - 80 degrees F.

Remember, don't get impatient.  Take the time to let the tank cycle and put livestock in slowly... over an extended period of time.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you have the other angel fish for a while before this one?  The red object in the gills sounds like a parasite. Ich is causes very noticable white nodules to apear on the fish. I do not believe this is the problem.

In addition, remember that angel fish enjoy lower PH, if I remember correctly, around 6.5.  It would help to have some more information in order to make an assesment.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#8]
ilikelegs: What kind of Frontosas?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We need to know how big your tank is (i.e. how many gallons).  What kind of filtration system.  Use live rock/live sand?  Without more info, it sounds like you have too many fish in your tank.  Make sure ammonia level is zero.  Make sure nitrite is zero.  Make sure Ph is between 8.0 - 8.4.  Make sure water temp is between 75 - 80 degrees F.

Remember, don't get impatient.  Take the time to let the tank cycle and put livestock in slowly... over an extended period of time.

Lawdog
View Quote

No, angel fish prefer soft water and neutral-acidic pH.  That means pH around 6.5-7.  But that is not set in stone.  Just so long as your pH is in the neighboorhood, you should be OK.  8-8.4 DEFINATELY sounds too high for angel fish.

1.  How big is your tank?
2.  What other types of fish do you have in there?

Angel fish like soft, acidic water.  Many other fish from south and central america prefer the opposite.  My specialty though is in South American and Central American Cichlids.

Good idea about going to the store...see if their Angel Fish are going belly-up.  Water temp should be high 70s-low80s, if I recall.

Edited to add: I just re-read your post and saw the other fish you have in there.  All those fish are also soft water, low-pH fishes, so the water quality should not be an issue.  Instead of just floating the bag in the tank, try gradually mixing in aquarium water with the bag.  IOW, once the temperatures between the tank and bag are equal, add a little bit of aquarium water to the bag.  Do this every half hour or so and keep it up for 2 hours.  Then release the angel fish.

Also let us know how big your tank is and how many other fish are in there.  Is it a tall tank, or a normally proportioned tank, or a "long" tank or what?

You need to make sure you have a good filtration system with plenty of agitation of the water on top of the tank.  This helps disperse oxygen into the water.

I am ignoring the possibility of parasites for now, since you did not indicate that you saw any symptoms on your angel fish.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top