Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2002 7:19:00 PM EDT
Has links for various stories about the unrest in Venezuela, with the strike, riots, discord, et cetera.....

[url]http://news.google.com/news?q=Venezuela&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nn[/url]

Voice of america report on the Saturday demostration:

[url]http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=ECFA6D65-00C6-4011-81D480453ACE6C78[/url]

Bad times all around. Hopefully a peaceful solution can be found before things get even worse. We all should be praying for the people caught up in this.....

Scott
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Wonder what its going to do to our OIL supply and prices. For those of you that dont know, Venezuela provides 80% of our imported OIL.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wonder what its going to do to our OIL supply and prices. For those of you that dont know, Venezuela provides 80% of our imported OIL.
View Quote

That doesn't sound right.  Source please?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, its 80% of their oil that is exported to the US. 15% of US imported oil. Still, they are the largest supplier of oil for the US.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
coming soon to the usa

stock up on ammo, asswipe, and beans now
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]
This has been going on for awhile now.

There was a coup in Sept. or Oct. IIRC. I know my
sister wanted to visit a friend in Caracas last summer, but didn't go, and we were relieved because right about the time she wanted to go, the situation got worse down there with more frequent demonstrations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
There were three deaths Friday. IIRC, <18 year old girl, 50s male, 72 year old woman.....

Scott

[url]http://www.banknotes.com/VE71.JPG[/url]

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to work in Caracas.  My office was shut down the day that Chavez was elected.  Lost a friend awhile back when the NGs used auto weapons to end a demonstration. Chavez was good at getting the support of the people, but simply has not been able to deliver, and the resentment of the people has just made him try and take more power.  Not a good deal at all.  If we were to go in and secure our access to the oil, I only hope that we keep going west and take care of the FARC and ELN next door.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I spent 4 straight years in Venezuela from 72 to 76 as a poor army brat.My family could not afford to come home during that time.It sure makes you appreciate the USA.
Was a wonderful time and they are some of the nicest people i have met in my travels all over the world.
It's a fragile democracy and will be better off when they toss Chavez.
I have not been back since we left but have had several of my old friends come and visit me here in the US.
God bless America.
Eric the ammoman

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess it should be a lesson for all of us;
View Quote

Yup!  The lesson is:

* Don't elect a guy who says he'll solve all your problems with a "social revolution"

*Don't elect a guy who implements his "social revolution" with armed thugs. (why we have an RKBA!)

*Don't elect a guy who wants to export his "revolution" to the other countries of the continent by donating millions to his buddies or by paramilitary violence.

*Don't elect a guy who sends representatives to international meetings where they condemn US action in Afghanistan and Iraq, and call Bush and Ariel Sharon an "Axis of Evil"

AND MOST OF ALL FOR US:

*Vote for the candidate who best serves your interests or harms it least if given no choice.  All your choices may be terrible ones.  Nevertheless, go out and vote, don't let some nutcase with an agenda get into power.  Otherwise, he will do his best to screw you over.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top