Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2002 10:03:25 AM EDT
I can imagine it would be scary expensive, but just wondering.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes - around $2500 IIRC
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
... I just did. AN/PVS-4B with the IR illuminator to be specific, got it with the Kevlar helmet & mount too.

... Loads-O-Fun
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I never liked firing my SAW with the AN/PVS-4 on it but I imagine if one did not have to deal with wearing a Kevlar, FLAK vest, etc in the prone the AN/PVS-4 by itself is much more user friendly. I'd like to save up money for an AN/PVS-14 or PVS-17/18 if they become available - but the PVS-4 isn't too unGodly heavy. I think I saw PVS-4's for around $1500. Its a couple thousand LESS then the newer fourth generation night vision out though. Just don't get a TVS-5 or something that matches the weight of the weapon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, a civilian can buy/own any type of night vision under federal law.  A few states have some restrictions though.  You're better off right now sticking to 2nd and 3rd gen American made.  1st gen is too bulky and heavy and nowhere near as good.  2nd gen and 3rd gen are near identical in size, weight, and quality.  3rd gen tubes last longer than 2nd gen usually by 4 fold.  5th gen is near impossible to find on the civilian market and costs WAYYYY too much right now.  4th gen was extremely short lived because 5th gen came out within a year of 4th gen.  So 4th gen stuff is extremely rare and offers very little over 3rd gen.  A 3rd gen scope can be had for under 5K.

http://www.nait.com/main.html

http://www.usnightvision.com./US%20Night%20Vision2.htm

Karl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top