Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/20/2014 1:31:12 PM EDT
Jarhead Buddy of mine, makes his living driving one of those big assed Propane tankers between the Hubs to regional suppliers.

He gave a me the heads up that supplies were down to about a weeks worth, and thanks to a declared emergency lifting hour restrictions, the drivers have been hauling 70-80 hours a week trying to keep up.

I called our farm supplier last week looking for a top off for the year, as we are down to 20% and it's been a week.

So I call back, and get the bad news. They have HUNDREDS of residential heat customers that are below 10% and it will take several weeks to get them a partial fill, IF supplies don't run out.

Here's the rub. All that propane getting harvested at record levels, is going overseas on contract, and those contracts will get covered before anyone else, and thanks to Obongo and his buddy Warren Buffet,
Rail transport costs a shit ton more than it should, unless it's oil that should be in a Goddamned pipeline. The trucks simply cannot keep the regional suppliers in inventory due to the hubs bieng short supplied, and the time hacks between hubs.

You guys that run propane for primary heat, or are still drying corn, start greasing up, and plan on dipping into the kids college fund to heat the house.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, my brother in law hauls propane and he was telling me of the shortage yesterday. One of the benefits of living in the city is I don't have to worry about that one. But in short he said right ow it looks when they run out they will be out for a while....
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean burning propane yup
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
"Well danget Bobby I sell propane and propane access........ Oh My Lord"
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll just burn the house to keep warm.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank God they ran NG down my road this year.    We're in our first month of being on NG, haven't even received a bill yet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll just burn the house to keep warm.

View Quote

We run propane as a backup to wood, but the stove and water heater are on the tank.
We should be good for 3 weeks or so if we turn the furnace on, so I'm not too concerned about running out.

What is gonna suck is the cost, when we finally do get the annual fill.
With another Alberta clipper hitting tonight, folks are gonna be running out all over the place and jacking emergency demand and prices even higher.

WOOOHOOO!!! More Change!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I just called this afternoon for more

I can only get 200 gal

At 2.62 per
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yup, my brother in law hauls propane and he was telling me of the shortage yesterday. One of the benefits of living in the city is I don't have to worry about that one. But in short he said right ow it looks when they run out they will be out for a while....
View Quote

Right now the only two hubs with inventory are in Missouri and St. Marys Ohio, and St. Marys is figuring on a week before they are out, at current demand.
The thing that struck me was that the bottle trucks are lined up and getting filled 24/7 and they have started to ration. The limiting factor is the time it takes to fill and haul, and it's already at max capacity.

The Hub in Missouri is in the same boat.  

More trucks would just be limited by the wait times in line for a partial fill, and until they can run full, it's going to be a LOOOONG time before propane gets back to normal.

I need to do some fracking and get a gas well here...

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
All that propane getting harvested at record levels, is going overseas on contract, and those contracts will get covered before anyone else....................
View Quote

High dollar gets the gas.

Capitalism!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in Wakish MN yesterday, whole town is out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Older guy at work could only get 150 gallons of it and I forgot the outrageous price they charged, he is backing it up by using his wood burner and had to go buy another cord of wood.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Home heating oil delivery is behind.

We're booked up about 2 weeks.

Just an FYI.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank God they ran NG down my road this year.    We're in our first month of being on NG, haven't even received a bill yet.
View Quote

NG can be turned off. Your own LP tank can't be. The lower cost comes with a price, unfortunately.

I also need to get oil tank fill spout locks for both tanks before there's a run on those, if this sort of trend continues. Thieves will be stealing it.

Obamanomics wins again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
NG can be turned off. Your own LP tank can't be. The lower cost comes with a price, unfortunately.

I also need to get oil tank fill spout locks for both tanks before there's a run on those, if this sort of trend continues. Thieves will be stealing it.

Obamanomics wins again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.

I uderstand your point but if it isn't available, isn't that the same thing as being turned off once you run out?

My whole house is NG and I've been amazed at my bills this winter.  It is the lowest I can remember in a decade or so.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.
Your own LP tank can run the hell out.....

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I have Natural gas.  Mainly use it for hot water.  Furnace runs on it, also, but I heat with wood majority of time.  -7 degrees out and my house is a toasty 69 degrees from the wood stove in the basement.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Guess I'll hold off getting my spare 20lb'er for the grill filled....
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
We are getting 700 gallons tomorrow.  At $3.10 a gallon !

We have a refill station.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry to hear of the problems keeping warm-I used to hate the heating bills when I lived in snow country.

There are are some things that suck about Florida but staying warm isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#23]
never mind
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.

True, but I can call any one of a number of competing suppliers to refill it. Not just The Gas Company that got the single distribution piping of NG.

I just hate being dependent on government infrastructure, is all. I like my well and septic, I don't ever want muni water and sewer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.

Only reason you'd get shut off is if you don't pay your bill AND don't contact the utility to work out a payment.

Don't have the $$$ to fill your propane tank, tough crap, you won't be getting any in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

True, but I can call any one of a number of competing suppliers to refill it. Not just The Gas Company that got the single distribution piping of NG.

I just hate being dependent on government infrastructure, is all. I like my well and septic, I don't ever want muni water and sewer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.

Only way you can call a competing supplier is if you own the propane tank. If you rent or lease it or if it belongs to the company, you will not get a fill from any other supplier for any reason in that tank.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quite a while back I tired of the propane games the companies play regarding higher prices for filling rental tanks etc...

I ended up buying my own 1k gallon tank and shopping for gas in August then going for the lowest bidder.

I know that doesn't help now but it's something to think about next summer.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.

Luchs,
Heads up for you New englanders.

Talked to my bud again, and he was on the way back to Ohio from delivering to Hamilton Farm Bureau/CHS energy here in Mich.
Hamilton is getting orders from the regional distributors in Vt. and Maine...Not enough trucks to keep up and they are out, and behind on keeping up with emergency fills already.
That's an 800 mile run each way, and empty on the return leg, and they were willing to pay.

Keep a guard on the firewood stacks.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Local co-op driver claims Canada is slowing down shipments into US because of the Keystone pipeline deal.  Says there's empty rail cars and storage facility in ND that hasn't had propane in weeks.  So glad I switched to wood this winter.  I was burning 250 gallons a month when it was super cold out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s27.photobucket.com/user/J75player/media/stuff/NCM_0200_zpse4686cc3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/stuff/NCM_0200_zpse4686cc3.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yep!!

With coal bieng available in the backyard, in so many regions, not burning it is stupid.
I can see the Citiots not liking it much, but us hillrats and hayseeds with no neighbors, should be burning the hell out of it if it's available.
Nothing but sand and marl here though..

Nice thing about wood heat.
It's near free heat, tax free, and assmonkeys like Obongo can't control it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Local co-op driver claims Canada is slowing down shipments into US because of the Keystone pipeline deal.  Says there's empty rail cars and storage facility in ND that hasn't had propane in weeks.  So glad I switched to wood this winter.  I was burning 250 gallons a month when it was super cold out.
View Quote

He correct.

The rail costs for everything but oil, jacks the end price of Propane to the point they are better off loading it on a freighter to europe.

We can thank Warren Buffets sweet deal with Obongo and the envirotards for that one.

Once the Propane prices get high enough, it will get shipped by train. Until then, it's by truck, and there ain't enough of 'em.

Elections have consequences.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Luchs,

Talked to my bud again, and he was on the way back to Ohio from delivering to Hamilton Farm Bureau/CHS energy here in Mich.
Hamilton is getting orders from the regional distributors in Vt. and Maine...Not enough trucks to keep up and they are out, and behind on keeping up with emergency fills already.
That's an 800 mile run each way, and empty on the return leg, and they were willing to pay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.

Luchs,

Crap. Thanks for the heads-up!

I only use the LP for stove and dryer, generator and backup heat, thankfully. I've got tandem heating oil tanks in the basement for the furnace, (which I think are currently burning money, freaking heating oil prices) and about two cords of wood currently.

Guess I should still call for the LP to be topped off, though. I use Lorden, they're pretty decent at maintaining their stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Clean burning propane yup
View Quote

This shortage is fucking me. I have 15 pickups on propane.

Today my supplier called and I told him not to deliver. We went back on gas for awhile.

not to mention the federal tax credit expired 3 weeks ago. I'll probably run on gas for a few months I bet.

take the good with the bad I suppose. I wasn't complaining this summer when I was saving 2.50 a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep!!

With coal bieng available in the backyard, in so many regions, not burning it is stupid.
I can see the Citiots not liking it much, but us hillrats and hayseeds with no neighbors, should be burning the hell out of it if it's available.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s27.photobucket.com/user/J75player/media/stuff/NCM_0200_zpse4686cc3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/stuff/NCM_0200_zpse4686cc3.jpg</a>

Yep!!

When I was growing up we had a coal burning stove for heating the garage and a ton or two of coal in the back yard. It didn't hurt we were in southern Illinois surrounded by coal mines.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When I was growing up we had a coal burning stove for heating the garage and a ton or two of coal in the back yard. It didn't hurt we were in southern Illinois surrounded by coal mines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep!!

I have to drive to the west end of ND to get mine still cheaper then buying wood these days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#37]
1.  Reminds me of the 1970s, when Jimmy Carter was in charge.  They kept the thermostat in my school set at 60 degrees.  

2.  Those who say NG cannot be turned off are wrong.  Back in the 1990s there was an NG shortage on the east coast, and they turned off the gas to tens of thousands of customers in Maryland so that the gas pressure would be high enough in Washington, DC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I uderstand your point but if it isn't available, isn't that the same thing as being turned off once you run out?

My whole house is NG and I've been amazed at my bills this winter.  It is the lowest I can remember in a decade or so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obamanomics wins again.

Same.  I just paid December's bill at my primary home.  I am heating 3400 sq feet of house, built in 1974, exterior brick with a 400 sq foot main room surrounded by glass on 3 sides and my NG bill was $106.  I about crapped.  

In contrast my 2nd home (which I am currently renovating) is 160 years old, half ass insulated with new windows.  The upstairs is shut off so I am only heating the main floor, 1200 sq feet.  I turn the heat down when I leave to 55 and up to 62 when I am home for a few hours before bed a few nights a week.  I can empty a 500 gallon (400 gallons of propane) in this weather in about 2 months.  I just filled her up 2 weeks ago @ $2.24 a gallon + tax + delivery for a grand total of $1049 and change

I really need to get this place finished and fucking sold..............
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#39]
No propane shortage here today

" />
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Ahh... the Polar Vortex.  

Does the Polar Vortex trump global warming?  You would think with all this global warming going on we wouldn't have a propane (heating) issue here in the ever increasing heat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We dont have propane here  to heat with
Come back when you are paying in excess of $4 a gallon and you live 15 min from the refinery
View Quote

I just paid $6.65 per gal today to fill my 100 gal tank.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just called this afternoon for more

I can only get 200 gal

At 2.62 per
View Quote

Enjoy your CHEAP Energy there.
My  last propane fill up ran $5.69 per GALLON.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come back when you are paying in excess of $4 a gallon and you live 15 min from the refinery

Holy Crap!
Just got 250 Gallons @$3.15 tax included- thought THAT was bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Enjoy your CHEAP Energy there.
My  last propane fill up ran $5.69 per GALLON.
View Quote

Holy smokes!  That is a scary price. I own my 1000 gallon tank and might need to get it topped off next August. Hope the prices drop before then.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Holy Crap!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy Crap!

That's cheap.

Try $10.16 a gal for me.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#46]
paid 3.79 gal.here.have it as back up and hot water.got 15 gal.I use wood heat+I cook on wood stove
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Manufactured shortages to raise prices, how do they work?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#50]
I wonder how bad it is here. I need to refill my grill tanks so I can BBQ tomorrow night.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top