Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2002 6:29:41 PM EDT
I just don't get it..... I love my esspresso (americano)and visit Starbucks daily but I still don't understand why people tip Barristas for making coffee?  Give me a f_cking break here... it's coffee! Not lobster... And not only is it coffee, it's overpriced coffee.  Now you might say that we need to tip the server because they don't make that much money.... whos fault is that?  Like Starbucks isn't making money hand over fist and can't afford to pay their help?  NOT!

Who out there pays $3.00 for a cup of jo and then throws away another dollar for having someone pour your drink?  O.K., I understand only if she's got a nice rack and you have a chance to hit it but that's the only exception!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Don't buy Starbucks, they are anti-gun.  I stopped going there a while back.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I still don't understand why people tip Barristas for making coffee?
View Quote

I guess to be a nice guy? Is this really an important issue to you?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Only if she does the wiggle jiggle dance on my lap.  Then I'll feed quarters into the slot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only if she does the wiggle jiggle dance on my lap.  Then I'll feed quarters into the slot.
View Quote

LMAO!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

A double [b]ditto on that[/b] with steamed milk in a 16oz cup of [i]Screw Starbucks![/i]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It's too late.... I'm addicted!  I think they've been putting heroin in my coffee or something.  I JUST CAN'T STOP!  It all started with one shot of esspresso and now I'm up to a four shot a day habbit.  I just can't get this monkey off my back!

And tipping to be nice just doesn't cut it.  And yes, I do think it is a "big deal", because it just sounds stupid to pay somebody a dollar for putting a cup under a spicket and moving a lever.  Do you also give money away to strangers who enter an elevator with you and push the button for you?  As much money a Starbucks is making, I just think it should be their responsability to pay their employees.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, im a retard...wtf is a barrista?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The esspresso chick who makes your drink or pours your coffee at the coffee shop.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you also give money away to strangers who enter an elevator with you and push the button for you?
View Quote

I ride the escalator.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Same reason you tip the drop-out that takes the screw cap off your bottle of MGD....

Scott
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Same reason you tip the drop-out that takes the screw cap off your bottle of MGD....

Scott
View Quote

LOL... I tip the drop-out because I'm drunk when she's taking the cap off my Alaskan Amber Ale!  Now let's see if she knows how to pick up the bottle without using her hands!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Why tip anyone? There is an old-fashioned solution to this. My grandad showed me this years ago. This solution is cheap and convenient; it's called a thermos.

NMSight
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's too late.... I'm addicted!  I think they've been putting heroin in my coffee or something.  I JUST CAN'T STOP!  It all started with one shot of esspresso and now I'm up to a four shot a day habbit.  I just can't get this monkey off my back!

And tipping to be nice just doesn't cut it.  And yes, I do think it is a "big deal", because it just sounds stupid to pay somebody a dollar for putting a cup under a spicket and moving a lever.  Do you also give money away to strangers who enter an elevator with you and push the button for you?  As much money a Starbucks is making, I just think it should be their responsability to pay their employees.
View Quote

Dude, get your own machine!! That will solve everything!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
This solution is cheap and convenient; it's called a thermos.
View Quote

This guy from Arkansas gets a job on a construction crew. His first day at work and they break for lunch. He sees a guy pouring some coffee. "Hey, what is that?", says the Arkansawyer.

"It's a Thermos.", says the co-worker.

"What's that?"

"Well, it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."

"Where can you get one?"

"Any hardware store or Wal-Mart."

The Arkansawyer shows up with his very own Thermos the next day.

The co-worker says, "Hey, you got a Thermos! What'd you put in it?"

"Two popsicles and a cup of coffee."

The scene: a sex shop.

The manager goes out to run an errand and leaves his assistant in charge.

A white woman walks in. "How much for the white dildo?"

"Five dollars."

A black woman walks in. "How much for the black dildo?"

"Five dollars."

A woman from Arkansas walks in. "How much for the plaid dildo?"

"Twenty-five bucks."

The manager returns and asks, "Well, how'd it go?"

"I sold two dildoes and some gal from Arkansas bought your Thermos for twenty-five bucks."
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ok, im a retard...wtf is a barrista?
View Quote

Like a soda jerk, but with coffee.  But "java jerk" would get them confused with web programmers, so they just call them barristas because that's Arabican for "java jerk."

Retard. [:D] [size=1](just kidding)[/size=1]

OK, I made that up.  It's the person that makes your cup of coffee.  Now where's my medication?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Duuuuude! The only thing that scares starbucks more than columbian droughts, is the armed home owner with an espresso maker!
Grind your coffee at the store, then keep it in tupperware in the fridge so it'll stay fresh.

[b]Here's my Mr Coffee and Mr Browning.[/b]
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/BoomStick/mrcoffee.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#18]
You buy 4 cups of coffee per day at $3.00 a pop and you're bitching about leaving someone some change?

Best bet is to buy your own machine and grind your own beans or just quit drinking it...

I would leave a buck or two if she was cute and had big boobies though....Boobies RULE!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
No, AZ Redneck.... that would be four shots of espresso in one cup of coffee at $2.60 for the cup.  But I guess I couldn't expect someone who's not from Seattle to understand the fine art of espresso... LOL!
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#20]
No, I guess I don't understand..Probably because I don't drink that crap... I like my coffee and I drink it black, but I can't drink that stuff...

Anyway, if it is an art as you say, why not tip the artist to show your appreciation for their work of art?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#21]
If you think there uderpaid why dont you ask them how much they make and see if that solves your tippong issue. I ussualy dont tip for much of anything call me an ass. I have a friend who works at a starbucks inside of a safeway he makes $11 an hour. tho he is the manager of the starbucks stand and has 2 people under him. He is also a union safeway employee tho so that could explain it
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:06:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I ussualy dont tip for much of anything call me an ass.
View Quote

Ass.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#23]

I just could never see what all the fuss is about Starbucks coffee. It somehow tases scalded or burnt to me.  But I just drink plain black coffee with none of that sissy stuff in it to mask the real taste [BD] You either like coffee or you don't.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Starbucks does not sell Coffee Flavored Coffee; I agree that what they do sell tastes crappy,  like a pot that has been sitting on the warmer all day long, then cut with water - yech!
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

And if it's a guy??
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, AZ Redneck.... that would be four shots of espresso in one cup of coffee at $2.60 for the cup.  But I guess I couldn't expect someone who's not from Seattle to understand the fine art of espresso... LOL!
View Quote

ahhh...so you think Seattle Starbucks is different from AZ Starbucks? guess I cant expect anyone who pays 3.00 for a cup of coffee to know anything. LOL [stick] seriously though, id buy one of those new fangled Mr Coffee espresso machines and a thermos.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is this a toss off quote or is Starbucks actively antigun?  It matters to me as I will have to stop going there (crying all the way).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top