Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2002 5:35:09 PM EDT
Last night I ate with my girlfriend's family.  Chicken fajitas and some other stuff.  Her brother and parents drank a beer or two apiece (corona, if that makes any difference) and we did not.  About three hours later, they got sick, puking several times and then today felt pretty much rotten the whole day.  The only thing we can determine that they had but we didn't was the beer.  Both of us felt fine.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Did they put any fruit/limes in the Coronas?

Where did you eat their place or yours?  Are they visiting?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
no fruit.  at their place.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
both my gf and i ate the same thing they did and we didn't have any problems, so probably not the chicken.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Something they did/caught before you got there?

Of course I'm a Software Engineer, what do I know?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What other stuff was eaten?
(BTW, have you been watching [i]AIRPLANE[/i]?)
View Quote

Nope.  been writing a paper on Michigan State's involvement in Vietnam.  (yeah, what a f*cking waste of a friday night!)  
The other stuff was corn and a beans-and-rice sorta mixture.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope.  been writing a paper on Michigan State's involvement in Vietnam.  (yeah, what a f*cking waste of a friday night!)  
The other stuff was corn and a beans-and-rice sorta mixture.  
View Quote

I would be interested in the highlights of your paper as I was born near and lived in East Lansing until I was 6 and my uncle was a city cop there during that time.

Back to your question - Perhaps it was a previous meal they ate together?  The incubation time on some of those gastrointestinal critters can be long.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would be interested in the highlights of your paper as I was born near and lived in East Lansing until I was 6 and my uncle was a city cop there during that time.

Back to your question - Perhaps it was a previous meal they ate together?  The incubation time on some of those gastrointestinal critters can be long.
View Quote

That is a distinct possibility.  My g/f had been at school all day, and her family had been home most of it, except for her brother.  He was only at the house a couple hours before us.  

My paper has to do with the MSU Vietnam Advisory Group.  The VAG was a team of polisci professors and the like from MSU that was contracted by the South Vietnam gov't to assist in the creation of their police force and governmental bureaucracy.  The project spanned nearly 20 years and our history professor made it out to sound like it was a huge project.  apparently there was a lot of CIA involvement and so on....  I'm not too sure about that though as both of my parents went here from 1968 to 1972 and never knew anything about it until I told them of my thesis a few days ago.  Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, i guess...

Actually, I've written two papers on this subject so far.  The one I'm currently working on reflects on the Henry R. Luce essay-the U.S. should take over everything, is the essence of that particular essay.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Uneducated, non-medical type guess... salmonella (sp?)

How did they get it and you didn't?

Whoever handled the raw chicken didn't wash their hands. Then placed tortillas in those hands, made fajitas for the other two unsuspecting slobs and everyone had a puke fest and a hershey-squirt good time!

OK, OI know I'm gross. 6 years truckin around with 10 guys on a paintball team... [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah but all of us ate chicken....same fajitas out of the same pan
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The beer wouldn't have caused anything - beer is actually one of the most sterile things you can ingest.  It is entirely possible that they simply reacted to a suspect bit of meat whereas you and your girlfriend are made of a little sterner stuff.  Often my wife has gotten sick eating the exact same thing I ate - I just have a much stronger stomach.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
No-you're wrong-MEXICAN beer, made in Mexico-is NOT one of the most sterile things you can ingest-don't forget-there is a good reason folks say "Don't drink the water down there. . . . ."  What do you think the beer is made with???  Here in the SouthWest, about as far South in these great states as you can get, people avoid Corona like the plague!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Mexicans dont drink Carona...They know we do so a Mex dude I know says they pee in it sometimes!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
IRL I play a microbiologist...three hours is way too short for it to have been the most common bacterial related issues (Salmonella, E.coli, Campylobacter etc.).

Generally the time period between consumption of bacterially contaminated food and the first signs of illness is a minimum of 8 hours and usually more like 10-18 hours. Some even take as long as 2-3 days later.

One small possibility if the food had been handled a lot during preparation and allowed to sit around at room temperature for a few hours before you ate it is that it could have been staph toxin, but from the way your account read this doesn't seem likely either.

My guess is that if it was bacterial, it was something they ate for lunch that day or dinner the night before. Other possibilities are things like chemical contamination (excess detergent, etc.) of the plates or glasses that they used which you didn't.

Hard to say without more information and background but I doubt that it came from the meal you shared together.

Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#17]
i am a Registered Medical Technologist and your sir..have most likely been bitten by a staphyloccocus bug.

normally a skin microbe..but carriers who handle food are a problem sometimes.

when ingested it usually has a somewhat short incubation time and is a intestinal irriatent to say the least. usually a 3-5 hour incubation depending on the amount of bug ingested.

sometimes..vomitting...sometimes a night on the crapper.

probablity is high...that it was staph...
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mexicans dont drink Carona...They know we do so a Mex dude I know says they pee in it sometimes!
View Quote

*blaaaaah....spit.......WHAT? Are you saying that I have ingested some Mexican beer factory workers urine? I need a shower and a spoon full of hot coals. DAMN. GROSS. I bet he laughs himself to sleep at nights....BASTARD.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#19]
thanks for all the info.  that does help clear up the mystery.  Now that i think of it, something eaten the night before would make more sense:  My gf is a vegetarian (she won't eat meat directly, but she will for example pull the pepperoni off a pizza or the chicken out of a salad or something and if a little juice or whatever remains, it's not a big deal).  Chances are there was something the rest of the family ate the night before and she didn't (some meat product) and the next day neither of us got sick because we didn't eat it.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Yea, kaaa-huck!
An I heard thet clyde and billy-bob pee in the busweiser bottles before they git capped.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#22]
and don't forget everyones fav friend "shigella"

No, you don't have to travel to Mexico to get it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree with the other guys.  The incubation time is too short to be caused by the dinner.  Most likey something they ate the night before or breakfast.  Depending if there is mucous or blood in the diarrhea, it will help identify the bug.  Most of the time fluid support and rest is all that is required.  I think some of the Corona might actually be produced in the USA. All the tests done show that it is perfectly fine. You should look at your food with a microscope before you eat.  There is a reason the FDA releases an allowable bug part count.

My other theory is that it has to do with something associated with MSU.  It is an agricultural college and God knows what kind of animal shit and fertilizer they handled.  Spartans are also not known to be too clean.  My spartan buddy would leave pizza out and eat it for days until it was gone.  The only reason that I can give why he did not get sick was the mountain of COORs cans against his back wall.  By the way GO BLUE, next year wont be any better! Especially since the Big Ten supplies the time keeper.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
*blaaaaah....spit.......WHAT? Are you saying that I have ingested some Mexican beer factory workers urine? I need a shower and a spoon full of hot coals. DAMN. GROSS. I bet he laughs himself to sleep at nights....BASTARD.
View Quote

Don't sweat it (chuckle!).  Urine is more sterile than Mexican beer...

Scott
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#25]
per the bailey and scott text..the gold standard of medical microbiology. staph has an onset of 2-6 hours after ingestion.

we see a ton of this..and mild and fast acting..whooo-hoooo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My other theory is that it has to do with something associated with MSU.  It is an agricultural college and God knows what kind of animal shit and fertilizer they handled.
View Quote

Fuck you too Cletus...I'll kick your ass just as soon as I scrape all the cow shit off my overalls. [:D]
Hey-didn't i see you over at the Swine Research Facility?  You said something about your favorite pig not getting his lovin' that night. [;)]

Spartans are also not known to be too clean.  My spartan buddy would leave pizza out and eat it for days until it was gone.  The only reason that I can give why he did not get sick was the mountain of COORs cans against his back wall.
View Quote

Now it's personal.  The only reason your buddy didn't happen to get sick is because Spartans tend to be made of much stronger stock than their pussified U of M brethren.  Coors? well, why don't you take that perfectly manicured hand and go sip a martini?

By the way GO BLUE, next year wont be any better! Especially since the Big Ten supplies the time keeper.
View Quote

No, GO GREEN.  you have a U of M education and you don't even know which color to cheer for.  I always KNEW there was something wrong with that college.  I've heard U of M's coach has tentatively accepted a deal from MSU, beginning at the end of next season.  Wouldn't that be a pisser!?!  
Oh yeah, your basketball team is a JOKE.  I bet you'll be laughing when we take NCAA, and even if we don't, our riot will be bigger...

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#28]
There, now that we've set things straight ^
It seems that we are talking about staph here.  Thats the general consensus.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#29]
3 hours is right for staph as several have stated. This not normal skin flora though. That would be unlikely to make sick. Staph has most rapid onset for bacterial food poisoning. Most take 6hours to up to 2 days, FWIW.

Not likely viral--I wouldn't expect everyone to get sick at once. However, the overwhelming majority of gastroenteritis is viral--many forms.

Some other food poisoning perhaps and as stated the "chicken handler" may have infected others somehow or they may have picked up some other form of food poisoning earlier. A doc can at least help them feel better or prescribe an antibiotic. I try to stay clear of anbtibiotics unless I have identified a cause that requires one and not even all bacterial forms of food poisoning should be treated with an antibiotic. Some should not! If patients develop blood in their stool they do need an antibiiotic, however.

Would be interesting to hear if you get sick later....

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#30]

It also think it was the chicken handler.

As for peeing in Corona beer, that was a rumor started by competing sales reps when Corona was at the peak of its popularity in the US. My understanding is that it was settled out of court, but the rumor still persists.

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Sparty sure is touchy today! You're right about the basketball team, they suck big time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sparty sure is touchy today! You're right about the basketball team, they suck big time.
View Quote

hehehe
It's all in fun.  don't worry about it...
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I bet they didn't wash their hands after a recent bowel movement. I stayed a Holiday INN Express last night and know everything.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I just choked my chicken and feel just fine...
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I am certified underwater currency retreival technician and designated gunsmith. When I had accidentally ingested 2 green hot dogs, it wasn't until 9-10 hours later that I began to vomit and soon after have explosive loose stool.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#36]
drink American beer !!  da hells da matter wid ju?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top