Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2014 10:50:19 AM EDT
It's a struggle here. Dogs don't like it in the first place, have to use a muzzle to prevent nipping, and pretty much get them to lay down and I kneel over them.

Cheap ass-plastic body gullitone cutters don't help either (can't find anything GOOD locally). The metal body one I had kept having the blade fall out.

What do you use for cutting, and for "fine" work, like a nail file or something?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a normal pair of nail trimmers nothing fancy.  

Wife holds a big glob of peanut butter on a spoon to distract dumbass dog.  The entire event is over in a few minutes.

Then again I have a pug and she's probably easier to control than your dogs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
dremel tool with the drum sander attachment

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
dremel
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Grind em with a cordless dremel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the Dremel dog nail grinder, it's perfect.

My dog used to hate the guillotine-style clippers, she's completely calm with the Dremel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This

He kept pulling his paws away for the first few times.

Now he lays there defeated.  Waiting for his bacon treat at the end.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#7]
My GSD walks about 2.5 miles a day on concrete.  His nails stay just right.  I think he trims his own dew claws, I never see them over 1/2"  I had a Shep/Lab mutt with rear dew claws that would just break off at about a half circle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My GSD bites her own nails.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My GSD walks about 2.5 miles a day on concrete.  His nails stay just right.  I think he trims his own dew claws, I never see them over 1/2"  I had a Shep/Lab mutt with rear dew claws that would just break off at about a half circle.
View Quote

Same here.
I take my Black Lab on a four mile walk every day,  most of it on cement sidewalk.
Her nails are perfect.
Dew claws need a little help though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Cordless Dremmel here as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Dremel x87
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#12]
We've got a little Dremel looking thing that grinds them down pretty good. We usually take our dog to a "spa day" at PetSmart to have her washed, ears cleaned, etc. We brush her teeth ourself though and do the other things if needed between visits.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Groomer for the little ones. GSD does it on her own.

Now with pictures!

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen those nail grinders in the stoes, but never occured to me to use my dremel.

Now where did I put that drum sander??/
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I pay the vet to do it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've seen those nail grinders in the stoes, but never occured to me to use my dremel.

Now where did I put that drum sander??/
View Quote
Careful, too much pressure will get their nail really hot.  Go slow.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
won't the dremel drum just walk itself right off the nail?
how long does it take with those things?

I need to cut my dogs nails, but can't ever get them to hold still and I don't really like how the  clippers crush the nail then clip it as opposed to a clean cut..
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#18]
A guillotine nail clipper, and a nail file both made for dogs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I just use the plier type cutters.
my dogs all learn pretty quickly to take their medicine, baths, or nail clipping without any nonsense.
I. Ldon't beat on them,  but they know I'm in charge and that things will be great as soon as we're done.
we fostered a big male Dobie once, and he was a handful since I didn't get him as a pup.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here.
I take my Black Lab on a four mile walk every day,  most of it on cement sidewalk.
Her nails are perfect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Her nails are perfect.

I run my 7 year old Lab almost every day.  Never had to trim her claws.  Activity keeps them in check.

I recently seen a fat lab with nails so long it warped her paws.  It was sad.  Lazy people should never have Labs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I use the regular, plier like trimmers.

Part of the trick is to totally dominate the dog so there's no wiggle room. It'll calm them.

Other part is to get the hang of placing the cutters on the nail and then holding them so when they cut, they're not prying against the nail. Then cut quickly with a snappy motion.

After a few times, the dog knows he has no choice and it's not going to be that uncomfortable.

Dogs I've had:
2) GSD who would lay there and allow you to trim their nails with no resistance whatsoever. Vet couldn't believe it.
Rott/husky mix who, the first couple times took every bit of my jujitsu ability to hold her down. After a while she was no trouble.
Lab/hound mix who doesn't resist much but is still scared of it. Then again he's scared of everything and has some hilarious psychoses. You can't pet him if you and he are standing on different floor materials. e.g. hardwood and carpet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Dremel with flex shaft. I keep the dremel behind me so the noise doesn't bother her. Everyone else with GSDs are lucky, mine doesn't trim her own. She does walk funny for a little bit after I trim them, funny stuff. She looks like one of those trained horses with the high leg prance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I use dog nail trimmers.  I got them at the pet store.  Next to the dog shampoo.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I cut them with the side cutter type, then grind and shape them so they are smooth and won't split.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#25]
We go on a long walk on concrete every day.  I haven't had to trim my dog's nails, and I've lost 25 pounds since we got him in August.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#26]
so how did dogs trim them before man...
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
so how did dogs trim them before man...
View Quote

They walked on hard, grindie stuff, all day, every day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Dremel makes a stone grinder with a hollowed out end.
It works perfectly for doing dog nails.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Bite them off with my teeth
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
She wears them down on her own,I guess when she slows down in her old age I'll have to figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep - both my Lab and Pit roll over like big babies when it's 'toenail' day - every Sunday afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a normal pair of nail trimmers nothing fancy.  

Wife holds a big glob of peanut butter on a spoon to distract dumbass dog.  The entire event is over in a few minutes.

Then again I have a pug and she's probably easier to control than your dogs.
View Quote

We have a pug (a very large one), but he's the biggest puss ever. We take him to the vet to get it done, since he's uncontrollable when we try to clip his nails. He freaks the eff out, tries to bit you, etc. Even at the vet, he makes the weirdest friggin' noises (the vet said it sounded like he was birthing, and from what I heard, I can't disagree). He's a pig, and a baby. But the wife likes him, and he's funny, so he'll stick around until he dies. He's a good dog overall, but he's lazy, dumb as a box of rocks, and disobedient. Oh, did I mention lazy?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#34]
My chocolate lab would let you perform minor surgery without complaining. The dremel works well for sensitive dogs I hear, I thought it was a pain in the ass for a big dog.

I like this kind.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#35]
We do our own and several other friends dogs.

If your dogs bite you for this or any other reason you're doing the whole dog/master thing wrong.

I actually trimmed the claws of a pitbull owned by one of my female coworkers.

She (the dog) had buffaloed everyone including her owner and they had gotten too long.

No muzzle, just a leash and a joke chain.

She was a good pup who had learned how to buffalo the world.

I would not work on a dog I did no know though.

She actually brought Elly over and left her with us to dog sit a couple of times before we did it so she and I could establish a relationship.

Had a friend with a dogue de bordeaux who wouldn't take a bath and we did the same thing.

He was just a big ol' pussy though.

We use:

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I use a Dremel tool, leaves the toenail smoother and you can round it off.
Start by just rubbing it against their toenails with the power off then turn it on near their toes,then a slight touch, then start grinding. This process takes a couple of weeks but works for me.
I hold the dogs sitting in my lap, paws out. this way I am behind them.
I don't like the clippers because if yo hit the quick there is a lot of blood and drama, with a Dremel the dog squirms a bit as you get close.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Grind em with a cordless dremel.
View Quote

Thats how we do it
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Walking on the road keeps them at the correct length.  Really good clipper chops the dew claw with no sweat.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't personally do it, but the groomer does it when they cut his hair (he doesn't shed, so he has to get hair cuts.)
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Guillotine style. Start em when they are little and itll save you later. Walking on pavement makes it necessary less frequently.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I trim them with a leash.

Even the 12 yr old dog walks enough to get the job done.

The AmStaff trims her own dewclaws about twice a week. The older dog has no dewclaws.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I run my 7 year old Lab almost every day.  Never had to trim her claws.  Activity keeps them in check.

I recently seen a fat lab with nails so long it warped her paws.  It was sad.  Lazy people should never have Labs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Her nails are perfect.

We have a community tennis court. An hour of throwing the tennis ball around on it takes care of the nails very, very quickly. Works like an emory board.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
won't the dremel drum just walk itself right off the nail?
how long does it take with those things?

I need to cut my dogs nails, but can't ever get them to hold still and I don't really like how the  clippers crush the nail then clip it as opposed to a clean cut..
View Quote

Short legged dogs are the worst.
To acclimate your dog, wait until they are relaxed and touch the top of the paw and the toes.  Do this daily if possible.  Get them used to the dremmel sound.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We go on a long walk on concrete every day.  I haven't had to trim my dog's nails, and I've lost 25 pounds since we got him in August.
View Quote

Been walking my 2 since I got them. We go out walking 4-5 times a day on concrete sidewalks nails are fine.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#45]
The pit/cattle dog mix goes to the groomer. The rottie gets 50mg of acepromazine. It used to be 100mg, but he's getting long in the tooth and doesn't seem to tolerate it as well. He also gets a soft muzzle. He'd never
bite me while sober, not so sure while under the influence. I use the plier type clippers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#46]
long walks on sidewalks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Normal nail trimmer scissors made of metal with a depth guard. Nothing more.

I don't understand a dog nipping their owner.  I have never had a dog that would do that to me and I've had a lot of dogs. Are you sure you're the pack leader?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Second post nails it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Try putting your dog UP somewhere (I do it with him in the bed of my truck). Seems to calm them and its just easier at that height.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Never had to, all the time spent running on gravel and around the farm keeps them short.
G
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top