Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2002 5:06:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A bar of soap on his desk or toolbox might do the trick.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked with a guy a while back that had that same problem.  We decided to be honest and sat him down in the office and said 'listen, you need to start bathing more and/or using deodorant.  

he was offended, but listened.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Pay a stranger $20 to tell him, anyway someone that doesn't work there.  Preferably a nice looking 20-30 year old woman.  Don't want him to think of them like his mom.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pay a stranger $20 to tell him, anyway someone that doesn't work there.  Preferably a nice looking 20-30 year old woman.  Don't want him to think of them like his mom.
View Quote

LOL!!

"Excuse me sir, you smell like dead skunk vomit. Have you considered a course on basic hygiene? I understand they are free at the clinic"
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Just tell him he smells like an anchovies cunt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a supervisor...

Tell him how valuable he is (like you just described)

Then, tell him that this is something to improve upon.  It can be a positive thing.  He will change if his attitude is right.  It sounds like he wants to please you and do a good job.

steady
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny you bring this topic up.

I had a kid working for me (17) at the time and told him straight up... Dude, you need to shower more often. Until the one day I had to yell at him "JOEY! WIPE THE CHEESE FROM YOUR ASS! YOU SMELL"

It worked!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Definetly tell him in some tactically politically correct way if this fails
BLANKET PARTY
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My Dad had a guy working for him--same situation.

My Dad went to the store and bought soap, shampoo, deordorant, aftershave, you name it. If it was on that aisle, it was in the bag.

The next morning he presented the bag to the guy and told him to go home and not come back until he had used everything in the bag. After that, no more problems.

About a month later we asked the guy about the change and he simply said no one had ever told him he smelled before.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
OMG! DUDE!!!!! there was a guy like that who worked for me for about a month!

He came oveer from the Orlando office to help out and he was a good guy but he would fart and stink up the place for a hr.
this sucked big time,the IT room was small and every time I would bend down to move a jumper or something I just knew that b!tch would crap right in my face.

I wish it was my idea but it was not but it was a great one.
We had two yong chicks take the guy in get a "guys" make over.
he was all for it the chicks looked good so it was a good deal for him.
The fag doing to make over told him about the fart smell that would hang around him and gave him some spray or something.
I don't know how long that would work but it worked for me[:D]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]

"H.R. Funkenstuff, the fungus is among us..."

Tell him he's funky and it's inconsiderate of him to be around customers/fellow employees smelling like doo-doo.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a similar problem. One of the software weenies that frequently requires hardware assistance would come around with FOUL/NAUSEATING coffee/cigarette/old spoiled meat breath. The first time made my eyes water, the second time I gagged in his face. Not to prove a point type gagging, but actual dry heaving. He knew why too. I will not deal with him again, even if Jesus came down and boiled his mouth...I would still puke just thinking about it. [puke]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#16]
All of the above points are very good...HONESTY and being forthright are the BEST ways to achieve a good outcome.

Keep one thing in mind before sitting him down and TACTFULLY discussing the problem/solution...

It probably is not the case, but he COULD have a medical condition that makes him smell like sloth vomit. I'm not making this up, it's fact.
Some people have screwed-up chemistry that makes them smell terrible.

Tactfully ask him first if he has any medical condition that might emit an odor that some people may find offensive. If he says "yes", do NOT throw the soap at him.

There is nothing you can do if he has a [red]verifiable[/red] medical condition. Request that he get a doctors note to the fact. If he cannot get a note, give him the soap. If he DOES come up with a note, make it very clear to all involved that the subject should be dropped immediately, as damn-near anything said to him after the fact is probably actionable in court.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of the above points are very good...HONESTY and being forthright are the BEST ways to achieve a good outcome.

Keep one thing in mind before sitting him down and TACTFULLY discussing the problem/solution...

It probably is not the case, but he COULD have a medical condition that makes him smell like sloth vomit. I'm not making this up, it's fact.
Some people have screwed-up chemistry that makes them smell terrible.

Tactfully ask him first if he has any medical condition that might emit an odor that some people may find offensive. If he says "yes", do NOT throw the soap at him.

There is nothing you can do if he has a [red]verifiable[/red] medical condition. Request that he get a doctors note to the fact. If he cannot get a note, give him the soap. If he DOES come up with a note, make it very clear to all involved that the subject should be dropped immediately, as damn-near anything said to him after the fact is probably actionable in court.
View Quote

Arent there some BP Meds that can cause BO as a side effect????
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, Dave223, for the line about Jesus boiling the guy's mouth...  I'm still in tears!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a very Old man working for us. He used to be a college professor on launguages. Any way he is like 78 and doenst see, hear SMELL or walk very well, but he tries hard to do the work and he makes himself valueable. He has been battling intestinal cancer for decades.

Today he must have had an accident or something cause he smelled like dawg diahrea. He was watching the Xray Monitor and my boss was handing me packages around this old man and his face went right by his ass, the look was like.... AWE and HORROR. he really could not tell where the smell was coming from at first. They ways he was looking at me.... i know he thought it was me, so I pointed at the Professor. My boss just sat the box on the Xray belt and left. I went out to his area when me and the old guy were done and I told him that he needs to tell OLD GUY that he might have had an accident in his pants. My boss was like NO WAY, I'll tell FEMALENAME to tell him, hahaha.

It was pretty bad. Sometimes there is this girl at work and I wanna ask her how the shit sandwiches were, cause I swear from the smell she must have had four.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#21]
 I am so glad I am not alone.  Where I work we have this kid who has breath that is so bad that if he coughs you can smell it from 15 or 20 feet if you are downwind.  No kidding.  He smells dead.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#22]
At the place I used to work at there was a nice womenz who had such bad halitosis, they (not me) called her "Dragon breath" behind her back. It was so bad that she would smell up an entire 10x15 room in 5 minutes. As a demonstration of the power of love, her boyfriend didn't seem to mind at all.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like this guy may be someone you would like on the team. Sit him down and be honest. Think about what you are going to say, practice it, then carry it out. If you are not his immediate supervisor have the super do it. That is why they get the Big bucks!!
Uncomfortable position I wish you the best
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]
tc6969,
Good help is hard to find so I would call him into your office and have a talk with him about personal hygeine(sp?).
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I used to work with a SMOKING HOT M.I.L.F.

She was also a dealer of herbal dietary supplements, which she used herself (with good results apparently). However, some of the ingredients in the supplements would exude a noxious odor from her body for a few hours after taking them. It smelled like algae from a stagnant pond mixed with salty garlic and a touch of sour mash to boot.

I kept thinking, yeah the pills might help you loose weight and look better, but who would want to "get busy" with something that smelled like Al Bundy's feet?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Like many said before, it may be dietary, or the guy could have a medical condition.  If you think you can't talk to the guy, bring it up wth your supervisor, especially if you feel it affects your work performance.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
take a dump on the guys desk. that should get the discussion started.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#29]
[b] THE TRUTH IS NOT A INSULT [/b]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife, an HR manager, had to finally discuss personal hygiene with a female employee. The stinker's coworkers would soak her chair with disinfectant and wrap it with plastic wrap every night because it would smell so bad after a single day. Nasty. My suggestion would be to discuss it with him post haste.

Lager,
-sgt_seti
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a couple of stinky fucks work for me.
I canned one fast due to his poor work.
The other guy worked for me later and had decent skills, but just wasn't right.
I took him out to dinner one night after work and he had spagetti.This fuck asked for extra garlic powder and proceeded to dump half the bottle on his food.The next day he smelled like garlic.Not just a little. This fuck stunk bad.
He stated stinking like booze and this was the last straw.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I have had to deal with two of these problems, one a male with ass smell, and the other a female with bad body odor. In both cases their co-workers were complaining and making suggestions that would cause embarresment and hurt feelings.

This had to be dealt with because in both cases the employees were in contact with the public. I had a conversation with the male that was private, honest, non critical, and to the point. He took it well and corrected the problem.

When the problem with the female came up a year or so later, I talked with a female supervisor and told her about how the last situation was handled, and asked her to speak to the employee. It turns out that she was having some pretty severe problems at home and was suffering from depression as a result. After she started getting some help her appearance and hygene improved.

Try to be humane when a problem like this presents itself and keep the person's dignity in mind when dealing with it. We all have problems from time to time so show some kindness.

If that doesn't work tell them it's time to go.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#33]
In the service we had a guy we were brutally blunt with, but he just wouldn't clean up.  We finally organized a campaign of eating beans, cabbage, etc., then going en mass into his little office several times a day to fart.  That finally worked.  

We had a black female employee where I work now who wouldn't take a shower even after she'd been counseled many times.  She'd literally water your eyes.  They finally fired her.  Guess what she's sueing us for now.  I wonder if the courtroom will have a good ventilation system.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a similar problem when I was about 20.  Showered 2x a day, nothing helped.  Finally saw a doctor and he recommended trying different antiperspirants/deodorants.  Finally found one on the 6th try.  Still have to change brands every 6 months or so, as I tend to build up a resistance.

Still, it was a service when my boss "had a talk" with me the first time. And I have sympathy for folks in the same situation.

Those with a lack of basic hygene skills, however, are another story.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Could be worse....

I work in retail. My associates are all clean and such, but some of our CUSTOMERS!!!

A) The 'I haven't showered in a week' guys. Or 'What's toothpaste?'

B) The 'Walking Weed Farms'. I wish you could get busted for pot on evidence that you SMELL LIKE YOU'VE SMOKED A WHOLE FIELD OF IT!

B) Anyone wanna get drunk? Smell my breath!

and such...

And I work at an electronics store...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top