Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2002 2:34:49 PM EDT
I went to a local super market today and had the following experience.  It's easier if I just post the e-mail I sent them.  This crap pisses me off!!

[b]
To whom it may concern,

Today my wife and I went shopping at your store, #404.  We have shopped there for close to 8+ years.  Lately a problem has arisin that needs your attention.  Today when we were shopping I forgot to use my Smart&Final discount card.  I asked the cashier if they could re-ring up the items so I could recieve the discount.  I asked this because I am a very smart shopper and knew I had bought several items on sale.

During the course of re-ringing the groceries the register only found 3 items that applied for the discount.  I found this odd.  I also noticed that another item rang up cheaper then the posted shelf price!  I meantioned this to the cashier.  She stated that the store needed a good price scanning because she knew several items were mis-priced!!

Again, I got curious and when I got home I checked my receipt.  We bought a total of 34 items, of those I found 5 errors(14.7%!!).

This was on 12-5-02 @ 14:31:33
Cashier: Amy
Store#: 404
Term#: 3
Trans#: 89

My wife has approached this store before concerning expired milk as was treated rather rudely, but that is in the past.  Mis labeled prices however is unexceptable to me.  

I await your reply.
[/b]

We will see what they say.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

[b]
To whom it may concern,

[red]Today[/red][blue] (needs comma)[/blue] my wife and I went shopping at your store, #404.  We have shopped there for [red]close to[/red][blue] ("for more than")[/blue] 8+ years.  [red]Lately[/red] [blue](needs comma)[/blue] a problem has [red]arisin[/red][blue]("arisen")[/blue] that needs your attention.  [red]Today[/red] [blue](needs comma)[/blue]when we were shopping I forgot to use my Smart&Final discount card.  I asked the cashier if they could re-ring up the items so I could [red]recieve[/red][blue] ("receive" ["i" before "e" except after "c"...][/blue]) the discount.  I asked this because I am a very smart shopper and knew I had bought several items on sale.

During the course of re-ringing the groceries the register only found 3 items that applied for the discount.  I found this odd.  I also noticed that another item rang up cheaper then the posted shelf price!  I [red]meantioned[/red][blue] ("mentioned")[/blue] this to the cashier.  She stated that the store needed a good price scanning because she knew several items were mis-priced!!

Again, I got curious and when I got home I checked my receipt.  [red]We bought a total of 34 items, of those I found 5 errors(14.7%!!).[/red]  [Blue](Suggested:  "There were 5 errors in the prices of the 34 items we bought.  This is an error rate of 14.7%!")[/blue]

My wife has approached this store before concerning expired milk [red]as[/red][blue] ("and")[/blue] was treated rather rudely, but that is in the past.  [red]Mis labeled[/red][blue] ("Mis-labeled")[/blue] prices however [red]is[/red][blue] ("are")[/blue] [red]unexceptable[/red] [blue]("unaccaptable")[/blue] to me.  

I await your reply.
[/b]
View Quote

Hmmm, at least 12 errors in 16 sentences. That is an error rate of 75%.  Looks like Smart & Final is doing better than you are!

[:D]

Just kidding!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
There once was a little known policy where if an item was scanned and the wrong price came up on the register, that item was free. (one per customer)

An old Math professor told my class about it. Apparently, this is or was a policy at Giant Foods. I don't know if it is.

Check with the store Manager or look around the Manager's office for posted policy.

Then, please let us know what you find!

--LS

[edited because DScott is on the J-O-B.]

Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't Smart & Final a warehouse store that sells things that people don't usually like?
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
They sell products like cheese popcorn and 1 gallon cans of imitation cheese.

They also sell hot dog carts and rice pudding, which ain't too bad if I do say so myself.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
OK....here's why some...not all...of the scanned prices are wrong.

A friend of mine used to work at a local Meijers store.  It was a low paying 3rd shift job, he was in charge of inputting the prices and UPC codes into the computer.  No-one in the store, including his boss, could do his job or check his work.  Consequently every few days they had a drastic price reduction on certain items that he needed to stock up on.  i.e.  Campbells soup for 5 cents a can for an hour or 2 after he got off of work and then the price would reset itself back to normal.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
OH...that is NOTHING!!! (THIS IS MY WORST PET PEEVE!)
Every time I have been in a grocery store I have seen this problem.  I have even pointed it out to managers and they insist that I am wrong.
For example:
Turkey .98cents/lb.  I think they mean $0.98/lb (98 cents) but hey, for less than a penny per pound, I will back up a truck and fill it!!!
Go to the produce section and check it out.  I guarantee you will see fruit and veggies for like .33 cents per pound. (They do not understand what the decimal-point or what the cent-sign mean.)  Many signs are also previously printed and sent from corporate HQ.
I have even pointed it out at the gun stores (.50c for ear plugs) and restaurants (.85c for drink).

[b]I think we ought to select a particular day to go SHOPPING, and wipe out the meat and produce departments!!!  Donate it all to the homeless and stock up your house!!![/b]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[b]
To whom it may concern,

[red]Today[/red][blue] (needs comma)[/blue] my wife and I went shopping at your store, #404.  We have shopped there for [red]close to[/red][blue] ("for more than")[/blue] 8+ years.  [red]Lately[/red] [blue](needs comma)[/blue] a problem has [red]arisin[/red][blue]("arisen")[/blue] that needs your attention.  [red]Today[/red] [blue](needs comma)[/blue]when we were shopping I forgot to use my Smart&Final discount card.  I asked the cashier if they could re-ring up the items so I could [red]recieve[/red][blue] ("receive" ["i" before "e" except after "c"...][/blue]) the discount.  I asked this because I am a very smart shopper and knew I had bought several items on sale.

During the course of re-ringing the groceries the register only found 3 items that applied for the discount.  I found this odd.  I also noticed that another item rang up cheaper then the posted shelf price!  I [red]meantioned[/red][blue] ("mentioned")[/blue] this to the cashier.  She stated that the store needed a good price scanning because she knew several items were mis-priced!!

Again, I got curious and when I got home I checked my receipt.  [red]We bought a total of 34 items, of those I found 5 errors(14.7%!!).[/red]  [Blue](Suggested:  "There were 5 errors in the prices of the 34 items we bought.  This is an error rate of 14.7%!")[/blue]

My wife has approached this store before concerning expired milk [red]as[/red][blue] ("and")[/blue] was treated rather rudely, but that is in the past.  [red]Mis labeled[/red][blue] ("Mis-labeled")[/blue] prices however [red]is[/red][blue] ("are")[/blue] [red]unexceptable[/red] [blue]("unaccaptable")[/blue] to me.  

I await your reply.
[/b]
View Quote

Hmmm, at least 12 errors in 16 sentences. That is an error rate of 75%.  Looks like Smart & Final is doing better than you are!

Just kidding!!
View Quote

Well if you look at it like that ,which by the way you are wrong.
The correct answer is,
out of 215 words and characters he was mistaken 12 times which makes his error percentage 17.916.
Which coincidentally makes you one hundred percent wrong. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[b]
To whom it may concern,

I await your reply.
[/b]
View Quote

Just kidding!!
View Quote

Well if you look at it like that ,which by the way you are wrong.
The correct answer is,
out of 215 words and characters he was mistaken 12 times which makes his error percentage 17.916.
Which coincidentally makes you one hundred percent wrong. [;)]
View Quote

Sorry, my fact checker went out for coffee!   [;D]

It's a slippery slope, statistics.  Or, as Disraeli put it, there are "lies, damn lies, and statistics!"  
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was cold[BD]

SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Well for money for college I worked night shift at a food store, and the manager was talking about various employees in stores over the years. One guy who was a meat manager also owned a cigar store, and he put his employees in the computer and picked up checks. It took the months to notice. Another manager upped prices in the computer and skimmed the extra ect
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That was cold[BD]

SGtar15
View Quote

Sorry!  Couldn't resist- besides it took me a long damn time to do all that coloring shit...  [:D]

Seriously, I hate it that those "discounts" they "give" us are really just prices jacked up then artificially reduced to make you feel like you're getting something special.

It's basically a shell game... but there's not many alternatives that don't take a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top