Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2014 7:13:07 AM EDT
My brother (Balloo93) and all of our family are at the Hospital right now. My Grandma just turned 89 and she's never really ever been the same since my Grandpa died in 1999. She is such a great woman that had such and amazing life and has a bunch of wonderful children. She always taught us honesty, integrity and doing the right thing no matter the cost.

She was active duty Army during WWII as a Medic and loved her Military career. She left the Army and got her nursing degree here in Austin, Texas. She and my Grandpa always lived a simple life and cherished the small things.

She is resting on a breathing machine 2 rooms down from where my Grandfather died in 1999. Her lungs are failing and still has fluid buildup internally. She's still coherent at points but said she is ready for her new body in Heaven and wants to see my Grandpa Bremond.

I just went and talked to her. She gripped my hand and pulled on my beard and mumbled "I love you" and to be happy.

We are waiting for her group of doctors to meet with us in 1 hour to see what needs to be done. One doctor said if it was his mother he would stop the morphine, remove the breather and make her comfortable.

I hate this. I can't deal with death. I love her so much and don't want to see her go.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
So sorry man.

It's good you can be there with her in her last moments, as painful as it is for you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
As she said herself, be happy.  She will always be with you.  Cherish the times you've  had with her and your memories of her after she crosses the Styx.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Rejoice for the life she lived like she said be happy.

I know its hard OP and sucks big time.  Prayers with your family
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
My condolences.

Why would the doctor recommend stopping the morphine? Isnt the order or business to increase morphine when removing from the breathing tube?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
 Lost mine end September 2011.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry man
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel for you. I lost mine back in Sept.

Stay strong .
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear this.  She clearly appreciates you too.  It's never easy to see loved ones suffer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
You are very lucky to have had such a wonderful grandmother (and grandfather).

I know you don't want to see her go.  But she's ready to go--and has been for a long time.  She wants to be reunited with her husband.  For her, much as she loves you all, this is a time of release.  Try to be glad she is finally getting her wish.

I am very sorry you feel such sadness.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry. It sucks. Is she a Christian?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry , man.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Godspeed to your Granny, OP.

A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Lost my grandmother to cancer in 1996.  I miss her.  I wish she could have met my wife.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear, but it sounds like she's had a good life. No better way to go than surrounded by loving family.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#18]
sorry for you loss, prayers sent.

I lost my papa in 2009. I still miss him.  I always made it a point to give him and my nana a big hug when I'd come to visit them. He always stood up to shake my hand but I gave him a hug.  I love them both dearly.  One of his last requests were to have my nana give me his cherished fiddles that he used in his band. He was a great man and a hard worker.  I made it in from out of town and by his beside at his home with the whole family waited until he passed.

I'm a better man in part because of them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#20]
It's never easy to say goodbye to a loved one who you know will die quite soon.  I held my grandmothers hand when she passed.  I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I often wonder if it better to know with the chance to say goodbye or to have it be sudden and quick.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry buddy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]

My condolences. I'm glad you got to say goodbye, and to hear her say it to you.

I missed my grandmother by about 10 minutes (was at work when she was taken to the hospital, she passed before I got there), and still wish I'd been there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Sincere condolences.
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My brother (Balloo93) and all of our family are at the Hospital right now. My Grandma just turned 89 and she's never really ever been the same since my Grandpa died in 1999. She is such a great woman that had such and amazing life and has a bunch of wonderful children. She always taught us honesty, integrity and doing the right thing no matter the cost.

She was active duty Army during WWII as a Medic and loved her Military career. She left the Army and got her nursing degree here in Austin, Texas. She and my Grandpa always lived a simple life and cherished the small things.

She is resting on a breathing machine 2 rooms down from where my Grandfather died in 1999. Her lungs are failing and still has fluid buildup internally. She's still coherent at points but said she is ready for her new body in Heaven and wants to see my Grandpa Bremond.

I just went and talked to her. She gripped my hand and pulled on my beard and mumbled "I love you" and to be happy.

We are waiting for her group of doctors to meet with us in 1 hour to see what needs to be done. One doctor said if it was his mother he would stop the morphine, remove the breather and make her comfortable.

I hate this. I can't deal with death. I love her so much and don't want to see her go.

View Quote

My friend, it sucks.

I just lost my grandmother last week. I was extremely close to her. Her home was the only constant in my life. I was there at least once a week, if not many more, just to say hi. Her ears, heart and table were always open. She was the epicenter of our family. I was never able to imagine losing her, then we did.
It's only been a week yesterday and that pain that I had has turn to a proud feeling. She instilled a lot into me and my family. She was proud of us and what we've all become.

At her wake, everyone told us how proud she was of us and how she loved to talk about my brother, myself and my father and uncle. We were her boys.
I imagine she looked down on us, smiling. We all did a reading at her funeral and my uncle did a great eulogy. She'd be so proud of us and how strongly we handled her passing.

Time heals all. Just remember that. Be there for your family.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry you're going through this.  Be glad she was able to say goodbye.  That's special.  Hold on to it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh very much so. My uncles Pastor from Rockport, Texas just got here. We're just waiting on one more Uncle to get here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, you have my sincerest condolences. Unfortunately, I know exactly what you're going though and will go through.

I was in your position a week ago today, watching my own 93-year old grandmother fade away. She went septic from a severe infection, rebounded after 2 days of antibiotics and then plummeted. Her body began to slowly shut down from the effects of the shock. We had the same "meeting" with her doctors after they determined there was literally no way to turn things around. At that point, her DNR took effect and all of her maintenance meds were stopped.  However, we kept her on morphine just to make sure she wasn't in any pain/discomfort (your grandmother's nurse will know how much morphine to push to keep her comfortable). From that point on, we held her hand, talked to her, stroked her hair and told her we loved her 1,000 times.

She held on for another 12 hours after the meds were discontinued. I'd never watched anyone die before and the feeling of utter helplessness and hopelessness still weighs on me. It was heartbreaking watching the once strong, stubborn, matriarch of our family slip away breath by breath. I know now, however, that she is finally at peace, is with her maker and is in a place where she is whole again and blessed to be in His presence.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Prayers sent for your family. Your Grandmother will always be with you.

I lost the last of my Grandparents in 1992. I am so thankful for the memories of them all and for the time I spent with them as well as what they taught me!
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Oh very much so. My uncles Pastor from Rockport, Texas just got here. We're just waiting on one more Uncle to get here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take comfort in the fact that she will be with our Father in Heaven.

His promises are true.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#31]
sorry OP
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Prayers for you and your family OP.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#33]
You have my sincere condolences. When she leaves this mortal coil, she will be with The Lord and will live forever
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I feel for you. I just lost my grandfather last year. He was in his 90's but was like a father to me. I was lucky because I saw him every day, but when he went into the hospital for a routine check on something minor, he died in his sleep and I wasn't there. It sucks to lose the good ones, but I hope you can get some comfort knowing you are there with her at this time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to hear.  My time is coming soon with my Grandma.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Very sorry to hear that man. I know it sucks. Lost my grampa almost 3 years ago, we had a 4 hour drive to get to him, and he was never conscious after we got there to get to say goodbye. You're very lucky for that. Sounds like theres no question where shes going though, thats always nice to have in the back of your mind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Hell of a lady.  I imagine it doesn't feel like it, but you're a lucky guy.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Sorry man.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Nutro, I am sorry for you.   My Mom passed away the 22nd of December after declining steadily over the past year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Sorry to hear this. Now, put your device away and go hold her hand, the rest of the world can wait.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry to hear the news, Nutro.  It's tough on a family.  Cry like hell when the time comes.  It wasn't fun, but I found that it sure helped.  Now my recollection of my grandmother is only fond memories.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Your post brought me to tears because my mom past this time  last year in a similar situation.

It's good you can be there with her and she sees so much love

God bless her and your family!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#43]
lost my grandma last year OP
prayers for you and your family during this time
sounds like she had a great life and taught you well
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Prayers sent. I completed 1/2 of my dissertation sitting in the hospital beside my dying grandmother. It was actually one of the best memories of my life, despite the outcome of course, because we sat there all hours of the night and looked back on the times we had together and advice for my future.

Looking back, I am so glad she is finally pulling jokes on my grandad up in heaven, where I know she is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#45]
So sorry OP. We're praying for you and your family.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#46]
We all met with the Doctor and he said she won't get better. There is nope left for a recovery so we made the decision according to her DNR. They will remove the breather and supply O2 and a Morphine drip. He said it could be hours or days. Her CO2 levels rise and O2 levels drop pretty quickly with the breather so we're not sure.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I got to make this decision for my dad a week before Thanksgiving 2011.  He passed Thanksgiving day about 3 AM.  I miss my dad.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#48]
My condolences.
My granny died of pancreatic cancer back in 2006.  It went fast - diagnosed right after Thanksgiving and she died in mid-December.  I was in the middle of final exams my first semester of med school, so I wasn't there - she died the night before my last exam and my folks told me after I finished it the next morning.
Fortunately my grandparents had given me a gift of money for my college graduation just that spring, and I spent it on plane tickets to spend a week with them that summer...it was pretty much the last few weeks before she started having problems.  I consider that to be one of the best decisions of my life, if not the best.
Glad you are able to be there.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#50]
As someone with no grandparents left, and who watched one of them pass... I feel for you.

God's comfort to you and your family. And it will be small consolation but living to 89 is a good, full life. We should all hope to live so long.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top