Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/7/2014 5:44:16 AM EDT
I'm seeing all of these threads about the movie and book. There's a thread that talks about the "goat herders" that goes on for 5+ pages now. I'm kind of worried seeing so many people posting like the book and movie somehow accurately depict what actually happened.

I hate to break this, but "Lone Survivor" was written by Patrick Robinson, who is a writer of Military Fiction. He met with Luttrell one time, for about 30 minutes, and then turned the story into something it never was.

For those that want to know what really happened, get the larger picture, and have a better understanding, start here.

Long story short; there was a 4 man SEAL recon team on Sawtalo Sar looking for Ahmad Shah. They were compromised, ambushed, and 3 of them killed. There was a rescue MH-47 with SEALs and 160th SOAR personnel that was shot down, killing all hands on board. Marcus Luttrell was taken in by a village, and rescued.

Other than that, "Lone Survivor" is pretty much fiction......the book is based on actual events, but represented, published and marketed as if it is fact, and it's not. With all the threads and discussion of Lone Survivor, I figured it would be good if folks understood that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
So he was the lone survivor?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
This should be fun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#3]
This should be interesting. IN
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
damn.  i thought it was like call of duty.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This should be fun.
View Quote

This has already been discussed here a few times in other threads. Somehow, people must have missed those threads.

If anyone wants to discuss a specific part of the story, we can compare and contrast the book, the movie, and what actually happened. Maybe then folks will start to get the picture.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#7]
You sure have made it your personal crusade to make sure we all know
about your opinion on the matter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to go watch the movie again and buy another copy and hopefully get it signed by Mr. Luttrell.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You sure have made it your personal crusade to make sure we all know
about your opinion on the matter.
View Quote

It's not opinion, it's facts. It's documented, verifiable facts.

Do you have your copy of "Lone Survivor" handy for reference?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Anything from Hollywood should be taken as entertainment, not education.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, right, and I bet Saving Private Ryan never happened either!
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anything from Hollywood should be taken as entertainment, not education.
View Quote

We're talking about the book that the movie is based on......so, both the book and the movie.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Shouldn't you be on the phone with Rainier bitching that your "Jack" wasn't moved to the front of the orders list, Snowflake?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Long story short; there was a 4 man SEAL recon team on Sawtalo Sar looking for Ahmad Shah. They were compromised, ambushed, and 3 of them killed. There was a rescue MH-47 with SEALs and 160th SOAR personnel that was shot down, killing all hands on board. Marcus Luttrell was taken in by a village, and rescued.

View Quote

You just described the movie.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#15]
So, why do you care so much?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd be curious to know WHY the account was fictionalized.

What was the purpose of that, and why did the highers sign off on it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The truth?

I like reality and the truth, and figure other people do too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm seeing all of these threads about the movie and book. There's a thread that talks about the "goat herders" that goes on for 5+ pages now. I'm kind of worried seeing so many people posting like the book and movie somehow accurately depict what actually happened.

I hate to break this, but "Lone Survivor" was written by Patrick Robinson, who is a writer of Military Fiction. He met with Luttrell one time, for about 30 minutes, and then turned the story into something it never was.

For those that want to know what really happened, get the larger picture, and have a better understanding, start here.

Other than that, "Lone Survivor" is pretty much fiction......the book is based on actual events, but represented, published and marketed as if it is fact, and it's not. With all the threads and discussion of Lone Survivor, I figured it would be good if folks understood that.
View Quote

So the tours and appearances that Marcus made promoting and signing the book was just to promote a work of fiction?  

Here's Marcus telling Matt Lauer about the whole Goat Herder situation in 2007 on the Today Show.  I don't see Patrick Robinson in the frame at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irC4K7Q4JCo
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shouldn't you be on the phone with Rainier bitching that your "Jack" wasn't moved to the front of the orders list, Snowflake?
View Quote

It was. Thanks for being concerned sunshine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I have seen and read what Luttrell says about it.  That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So the tours and appearances that Marcus made promoting and signing the book was just to promote a work of fiction?
View Quote

Yeah, pretty much.

I think Lone Survivor is best described as a work of fiction based on actual events.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. That sounds like exactly what I watched. Where is the disconnect? Does Luttrell actually not look like Mark Walhberg?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Nothing new.  
Sylvan and others had provided info on this long ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#25]
In for the outcome of this. I think it should be good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah. That sounds like exactly what I watched. Where is the disconnect? Does Luttrell actually not look like Mark Walhberg?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not talking about the movie........try reading for comprehension. Of course, by default, the fact that the book is largely fiction also means that the movie contains an even higher percentage of fiction.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy this. I highly doubt that Marcus Luttrel, who has more courage and honor than I will EVER possess, only met with the author only once for 30 minutes. Are you trying to tell me they never talked on the phone, e-mailed, or had a video conference? Were you actually there at the meeting between these 2 folks?

Why do you hate Marcus Luttrel so much? He's had a lot to deal with, including some crazy people coming and murdering his dog to try to get a rise out of him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The truth?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

I hope you are not in sales for a living.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....and the book.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The truth?

No way he's in sales with the hissy fit he threw yesterday.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In for the outcome of this. I think it should be good.
View Quote

In what way?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, pretty much.

I think Lone Survivor is best described as a work of fiction based on actual events.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, pretty much.

So Luttrell is a self-serving punk who capitalized on the deaths of his team mates to enrich himself?  The full title of the book is "Lone Survivor The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10".  I don't see the word 'fictionalized' anywhere in there.

ETA - I'm just trying to figure out if the OP is blaming the inaccuracy of the book on Luttrell or Robinson.  If it's on Luttrell's shoulders, and Marcus certainly seems to stand by the account in his interviews, then the 'fiction' of the account puts him in a very bad light.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

Link
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#35]
......standing by to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:I'm sorry, but I just don't buy this. I highly doubt that Marcus Luttrel, who has more courage and honor than I will EVER possess, only met with the author only once for 30 minutes. Are you trying to tell me they never talked on the phone, e-mailed, or had a video conference? Were you actually there at the meeting between these 2 folks?

Why do you hate Marcus Luttrel so much? He's had a lot to deal with, including some crazy people coming and murdering his dog to try to get a rise out of him.
View Quote

I don't hate Luttrell, and I know all about his dog being killed. Follow the link I provided, read "Victory Point", and make up your own mind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The truth?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

more like
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:So Luttrell is a self-serving punk who capitalized on the deaths of his team mates to enrich himself?  The full title of the book is "Lone Survivor The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10".  I don't see the word 'fictionalized' anywhere in there.

ETA - I'm just trying to figure out if the OP is blaming the inaccuracy of the book on Luttrell or Robinson.  If it's on Luttrell's shoulders, and Marcus certainly seems to stand by the account in his interviews, then the 'fiction' of the account puts him in a very bad light.
View Quote

What, exactly, was the name of the operation? And who planned the operation? Whose operation was it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth?

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/bullshit.gif

more like

LoL I like that one
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP-

While I appreciate when you posted about the book Victory Point-I did not know about it, it was an interesting read. However, your obsession with the validity of Lone Survivor is getting old.

You have made your point in previous threads, and made it well.

Now your posts are looking more like a vendetta or even envy than trying to set some record straight.

Leave it be.
View Quote

Then go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same guy?

*click
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Link
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#43]
what the hell?  IN!
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Some people obsess over the dumbest shit.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What, exactly, was the name of the operation? And who planned the operation? Whose operation was it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:So Luttrell is a self-serving punk who capitalized on the deaths of his team mates to enrich himself?  The full title of the book is "Lone Survivor The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10".  I don't see the word 'fictionalized' anywhere in there.

Great answer!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Instead of posting vague questions that you don't expect us to know, how about you just state your reasoning on why the book is a work of fiction?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Some people obsess over the dumbest shit.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP-

While I appreciate when you posted about the book Victory Point-I did not know about it, it was an interesting read. However, your obsession with the validity of Lone Survivor is getting old.

You have made your point in previous threads, and made it well.

Now your posts are looking more like a vendetta or even envy than trying to set some record straight.

Leave it be.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Blah, blah, blah...
View Quote

OP - you fooled me.

I looked at your original post and thought to myself "Hmmmm....that's funny.  NoVaGator doesn't normally post stuff this stupid."

Then I realized that you're NoVaRight, not NoVaGator.

You fooled me OP.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#50]
If I remember correctly, the official account of Operation Red Wing, and the account in the book "Lone Survivor" differ in the number of enemy that supposedly engaged them.

I have read both, a long time ago, and I remember finding the editing in the book lacking in a few areas.  The author got some basic military terminology wrong.  I mean shit like "5.56 caliber" instead of 5.56mm;  you know, basic day one private shit WRONG.  That, and the accounts of the fighting.  Read the book sometime... it all came across as very Hollywood compared to every other first person account of combat that I've ever read, and anything that I have ever experienced myself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top