Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:33:33 PM EDT

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/30/highest-in-nation-15-minimum-wage-stirs-concern-from-local-businesses/

As talk builds on Capitol Hill over hiking the federal minimum wage, one city in Washington state is poised to set the highest rate in the nation.

On Jan. 1, an estimated 1,600 hotel and transportation workers in SeaTac, Wash., will see their pay jump to $15 an hour, a 60 percent increase from the state's $9.32 minimum wage.

While many workers look forward to the higher pay, employers are looking for ways to absorb the big increase in labor costs. Some plan on eliminating jobs.

"We're going to be looking at making some serious cuts," said Cedarbrook Lodge General Manager Scott Ostrander. "We're going to be looking at reducing employee hours, reducing benefits and eliminating some positions."

That's in the short term. Eventually, those jobs and more are expected to return as the Cedarbrook Lodge looks to build an addition to the hotel. The plan is to increase revenue to offset the higher labor costs.

But not every employer is being so ambitious. One has told a trade group it is going to close one of its two restaurants, eliminating 200 jobs.

The plan has also caused Han Kim -- who runs Hotel Concepts, a company that owns and manages 11 hotels in Washington state -- to shelve plans to build a hotel in SeaTac. The company already has three hotels in SeaTac, and Kim and a business partner were looking to build a fourth on land they own.  

<<< story continues in detail at link above >>>

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/30/highest-in-nation-15-minimum-wage-stirs-concern-from-local-businesses/

As talk builds on Capitol Hill over hiking the federal minimum wage, one city in Washington state is poised to set the highest rate in the nation.
On Jan. 1, an estimated 1,600 hotel and transportation workers in SeaTac, Wash., will see their pay jump to $15 an hour, a 60 percent increase from the state's $9.32 minimum wage.
While many workers look forward to the higher pay, employers are looking for ways to absorb the big increase in labor costs. Some plan on eliminating jobs.
"We're going to be looking at making some serious cuts," said Cedarbrook Lodge General Manager Scott Ostrander. "We're going to be looking at reducing employee hours, reducing benefits and eliminating some positions."
That's in the short term. Eventually, those jobs and more are expected to return as the Cedarbrook Lodge looks to build an addition to the hotel. The plan is to increase revenue to offset the higher labor costs.
But not every employer is being so ambitious. One has told a trade group it is going to close one of its two restaurants, eliminating 200 jobs.
The plan has also caused Han Kim -- who runs Hotel Concepts, a company that owns and manages 11 hotels in Washington state -- to shelve plans to build a hotel in SeaTac. The company already has three hotels in SeaTac, and Kim and a business partner were looking to build a fourth on land they own.  
View Quote
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Just make it $50 an hour and get it over with.  Enough with the incrementalism.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that's one way to get a Starbuck's employee with a Master's in 13th Century Basket Weaving over the $12/hour hump.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Unemployment is going to skyrocket there very soon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
at least they got legal weed
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The plan is to increase revenue to offset the higher labor costs.

View Quote
View Quote

Pay up $ucker.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Just one more case of the people running the government having no clue how economics works.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Good, I hope they enjoy $0/hr.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am shocked!  Shocked, I say!

WTF did the libtards think was gonna happen?  Or is this all part of the master plan, just as Ofuckstaincare was designed to fail?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well that's one way to get a Starbuck's employee with a Master's in 13th Century Basket Weaving African-American Womens Studies over the $12/hour hump.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
The fallout will be hilarious.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The thing is that most of the workers don't live in Seatac.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Say bye bye to the dollar menu's.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just one more case of the people running the government having no clue how economics works.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I am really excited for this. Not because it is a good law, but I am so curious at how it will play out. I would love to see these hotels raise their prices, fast food raise their prices, and when people completely stop doing any sort of business around seatac in a 5 mile radius. I've never been so excited to watch the world burn as I am at this $15/hr flipping burger economy. It will implode and I will laugh. Good thing they can't force the airport to increase wages. That would fuck us pretty hard.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
When they go up to $15 an hour and gov't welfare monies dry up because they are making too much a bunch will quit anyways.  They don't want to make over a certain amount.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I would find it funny if decent hardworking folks that have been trying to land a job flock there attracted by the pay.
Employers hire them, realize besides downsizing they can be more selective and kick the shiftless layabouts to the curb.

Everything now costs more to cover the increase in min wage. The recently fired folks are forced out.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Twenty years on the job, countless Certifications, endless classes and training, hundreds of hours of hazmat, terrorism response, aircraft response, Emergency Medical, constant PT to maintain the necessary fitness level, Hours crawling around in 500 degree burn buildings in zero vis to keep my skills up,

and I'm worth $5 bucks an hour more than the pimply faced highschool kid down the street down the street making my egg McMuffin?

Nothing against him, but damn......
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good, I hope they enjoy $0/hr.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everything now costs more to cover the increase in min wage. The recently fired folks are forced out.
View Quote

And they demand.... and will get.... increased funding for 'programs'.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pfffft, just make it $100 and call it good. That way they can afford "their fair share." Of course such jobs employing $15 p/h will either move overseas even more, simply not exist or automate even more but hey lets not let pesky facts get in the way of feeling good.

PS...Hope you don't mind paying $15 for that Combo #2? Oh you want to super-size that, that's another $7.21.....................
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Twenty years on the job, countless Certifications, endless classes and training, hundreds of hours of hazmat, terrorism response, aircraft response, Emergency Medical, constant PT to maintain the necessary fitness level, Hours crawling around in 500 degree burn buildings in zero vis to keep my skills up,

and I'm worth $5 bucks an hour more than the pimply faced highschool kid down the street down the street making my egg McMuffin?

View Quote

That means you are worth that much more now! Expect to see a pay increase since you are unskilled labor!
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Must be a hell of a dream state those worthless fucks live in if they think that won't have serious blowbacks.

Have they never even heard of economics and how it works?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
at least they got legal weed
View Quote

Why do you think they need more money to begin with?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would bet a large percentage of those hotel workers are not even legal residents.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#29]
The reason the govt pushes for it is more tax money paid in.  The people its gonna hurt is the guy already making $16hr.

You ll still have the $1 menu, burgers will be the size of a quarter and about as thick.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#30]
SeaTAC...hahahah eat it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Should have made it $20 an hour, you know, cause they deserve it and stuff. Plus the government is here to spread the wealth.

Yall need to get on board with the program.

Hope and change and all that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess Seatac and Seattle want to be the next Detroit, they might even beat NYC at this rate.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

If they could make money in the private sector...why wouldn't they? Bureaucrats generally can't compete in the free market.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't think many people understand exactly what this city contains.

The scheme will probably work - there. But that fact is meaningless to the general economy.
Of course, that won't stop some liberals from pointing to it as a "shining beacon of how to solve 'income equality' ".
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's the airport.

The only thing that's going to skyrocket is prices for everything associated with flying into and out of SEA.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The fallout will be hilarious.
View Quote

No it won't. We'll end up paying them for not working...whether we trade with the business who laid them off or not.

I don't know about you, but I pay enough taxes already.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Just make it $50 an hour and get it over with. Enough with the incrementalism.
View Quote

Once you understand the link between minimum wage and unions you'll realize that will never happen.

Edit:

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of workers won't be working there either, it seems.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

They will cut staffing by 60% and break even on the money. Highly motivated and hard-working people will benefit; the marginal will become and remain unemployed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I guess Seatac and Seattle want to be the next Detroit, they might even beat NYC at this rate.
View Quote

You might not be too far from the truth. The local aerospace union is doing all they can to chase Boeing and their own jobs out of state. Remember, Seattle is the city that proudly sports a prominent statute of Lenin.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck You SeaTac.

FBHO
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had to take four college courses, graduate with a Bachelor's degree and teach full time to be qualified to teach Driver's Education in Texas.  About 15 years ago, the State decided ''if you are a parent, then you can teach your own kid to drive...'

WTF?

How in the hell did knocking a girl up equate to the skills needed to teach a Driver's Education course of 40 hours classroom/lecture/rules and 30 hours in-car/behind-the-wheel?

So, yeah, I feel ya here.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#45]
na   make it     100     should help ease the "liberals"   equal wage gap in America ..   why should a Doctor of twelve  years education with 500,000 in student loans make more than a  high school drop out flipping burgers    
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's the airport.

The only thing that's going to skyrocket is prices for everything associated with flying into and out of SEA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the airport.

Incorrect.

From the article:
Opponents of the $15 minimum wage did score a legal victory late last week when a King County, Wash., judge ruled that it does not apply to any of the workers at the SeaTac airport. Superior Court Judge Andrea Darvas ruled only the Port of Seattle can set wage and other work rules at the airport. That eliminates 4,700 workers from the successful ballot initiative.

Otherwise this would be very bad news... Now it will be a hilarious failure and a shining example of what not to do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

Nice opportunity for someone to start a hotel custodial service.

Pickup fired workers and employ them 1 city over
Pay them 10% less than they made before.  
Contract services to hotel that fired them for 30% more than they were paying employees.
Profit.

Margin is going to suck, but setup costs and risk is low too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

thats cool
View All Quotes

And much like the frozen yogurt places, it is only going to need one or two people to fill the machines. The zero-skills workers are eliminating their own jobs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just make it $50 an hour a blank check and get it over with.  Enough with the incrementalism.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's the airport.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the airport.

The quoted article mentions 1600 people.

This is nothing big. Just a small area, and a small subset of the workers getting 15 bucks an hour. Anyone familiar with the area knows this is just a talking point and not an economic or poltiical reality.

If you made King County's minimum wage 15$ an hour the city would implode. . . . but this is small, and to be honest it's such a small sample that this will probably work and be heralded as a smashing success by the liberal moonbats.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top