Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2002 8:30:13 PM EDT
From the Air Force Times, 2 Dec 02, pg 28.

"A federal appeals court agreed with the gov't that recruiters had no legal authority to promise veterans of WWII and the Korean War eras free lifetime health care if they served at least 20 years in uniform.  Gov't lawyers conceded military recruiters routinely made such assurances but convinced the court that because no authority existed to make such promises, and because Congress never ratified or acquiesced to the promises, there was no valid contract."
"The 9-4 decision to deny the veterans' claims was made 19 Nov by the full U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.  A federal judge ruled against the veterans in 1998, but this February, a three-judge panel of the federal appeals court ruled in their favor."

Posted mainly for you young folks thinking about joining.  There is no greater thing than serving your country.  But, get it in writing!!

Damn, I typed all this w/o a spelling error!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info.  Now all we have to do is wait for Trickshot to show up and state that the vets don't deserve medical care.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
More frickin broken promises to Vets.

Retirees of all kinds have gotten this shaft,  in the last decade or two.  Work 30 years based on the promise of a nice pension and lifetime company-paid health coverage, then the company reneges.

This sounds like fraud to me if the people claimed to have the authority but didn't in fact.

Maybe we should go camp in DC.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
This topic gets my blood to boil in record time every time I hear it.  I spent 4 years in the USAF and my father spent 30 glorious years in the USAF.  I can't believe that the guys whole sacrificed life and limb are being hung out to dry.  What kind of worthless piece of crap can go into a courtroom and say that our fine veterans don't deserve anything but our finest care.  But yet some piece of crap lowlife illegal or drug user does deserve the care.  

Couldn't help it,  I just had to vent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top