Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2013 12:23:02 PM EDT
I have a zippo hand warmer I've been using for about two years. Most of the time it works really well and keeps a burn going for up to 12 hours which is awesome. However filling it up is a bit cumbersome, if you jostle it around too much the burner falls off forcing you to relight it (which is a bit of a bitch by itself and even more so when it's windy) and the burner eventually looses it's ability to burn but gives you no indication at all that it's done, eventually you just find it won't light anymore and go "Well I guess it's time for a new one."

So all of that being the case I'm looking for a battery operated hand warmer because batteries are cheap, easy to carry and not as messy or time consuming as filling the zippo up. Any suggestions? My google fu isn't turning up anything too promising right now. I'm looking for something that runs off AA or AAA .
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I was gonna suggest the Zippo
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the websites of some of the larger motorcycle accessory distributors - I get flyers from the two listed below monthly and the always list electric gloves, battery powered and 12 v. plugins.

Of course I have no way of knowing if what they carry is suitable for your intended use.

Cyclegear, and Jpcycles

Mike

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was gonna suggest the Zippo
View Quote

I really do like the zippo but it's a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes. Sometimes I light it think I'm good set off and realize nope. So I try lighting it again and again and I can't tell if it's hard to light or if I need a new burner.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Steel wool and a 9 volt?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Cozywinters.com and Milwaukee tool has a fanny pack style hand warmer thing
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing battery powered it going to give you the amount of heat and the run time of that Zippo, at least not without being significantly bulkier and heavier.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nothing battery powered it going to give you the amount of heat and the run time of that Zippo, at least not without being significantly bulkier and heavier.
View Quote

This.  Electric heat EATS juice.  No battery is gonna last long under those conditions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Battery powered socks? who sold you this shit?-movie line.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fair enough.

Does anyone have one of these units?
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Boston-Electric-Ignite-Pocket/dp/B00A9OCJZG/ref=pd_ybh_12

I'm looking at it because it seems to have a few improvements over the zippo
A) The burner is made of a different material that supposedly doesn't need to be changed ever
B) It's ignited by battery power so no need for carrying a lighter around and mucho easier to light
C) the funnel that comes with it looks much better and easier to use.
D) you can turn it off by separating the top half.

Now it is $40 vs the Zippos $15 but the replacement burners for the zippo are $12 so if the burner on this thing truly doesn't need to be replaced then it's going to be a win for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  Electric heat EATS juice.  No battery is gonna last long under those conditions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, but my Hotronic boot warmers are awesome and run most of the day on one charge with the lower settings. I'd happily wear one of those batteries on my belt connected to a hand warmer.

Are the Zippo hand warmers any good for hunting? With lighter fluid, they must smell big time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe, but my Hotronic boot warmers are awesome and run most of the day on one charge with the lower settings. I'd happily wear one of those batteries on my belt connected to a hand warmer.

Are the Zippo hand warmers any good for hunting? With lighter fluid, they must smell big time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zippos have some scent to them. I'm not a hunter so I don't know how much it would interfere but yeah definitely some scent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh... Just connect two 9v batteries together.... Warmth.

What could possibly go wrong ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never noticed that deer seem to be sensitive to them, at least in these parts.  Unless you get seriously into the back country most animals are more acclimated to human odors (cars and ATVs particularly) than most want to admit.  

I've always felt a little weird about having something burning (or at least catalyzing) butane in my pocket, but I've used them for many years and never had an issue nor have I known anyone that has.

Battery powered socks/gloves can work ok if you have very well insulated boots/gloves or it just isn't that cold.  But, if you get boots/gloves that well insulated you can almost argue that you needn't bother with the electrics  

For the weight, volume, and BTUs nothing will touch the butane powered hand warmers.  But, maybe it could be that you don't need that amount of heat in which case electrics might work out for you.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh... Just connect two 9v batteries together.... Warmth.

What could possibly go wrong ?
View Quote

came here to post this lol
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wear 4 of them much of the winter for commuting, I have 2 around my neck and one in each liner pocket of my cycle jacket stays nice a toasty down to 30 degrees on the freeway. I then wear them all day at work too then I can smell the Coleman Camp Fuel rising up out of my jacket in the still air but it isn't too bad. For hand warming they are good for in pocket use but that is about it. I have used them at the range down to 34 with wind, it's nice to hold them in my trigger hand between shots to keep trigger feel. It is kind of a pain to fuel up and light 4 every morning, it takes about 15 minutes, sometimes one or 2 are still going the next morning. I buy the gallon cans of Coleman Camp Fuel rather than lighter fluid.

Chemical would be the next best thing, to make any usable heat you will need a lot of energy, more than a battery can provide.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Cozywinters.com and Milwaukee tool has a fanny pack style hand warmer thing
View Quote
I was at the electrical supply house this Friday and noticed Milwaukee tool has a line of jackets that run off their 12 volt batteries.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top