Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2013 9:57:31 AM EDT
Yes, it's expensive.  Yes, you hate Mick Strider.  It's still a bad little knife in an awesome steel.  I also have their AFSOC BT which is a foot long, 1/4" knife in the awesome steel.  

Strider DB 3v

Strider DB 3v vid 2
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
He sure abuses it!!  
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one in my duty bag at work for prying and doing stuff I wouldn't do with any other knife.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Strider?  Not even if it comes with a pair of D cups  and a pussy that cures cancer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
He was excessive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It's pretty impressive that it can take that kind of abuse.  It's also 100% unnecessary.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got one. It's a slab o' steel.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one in my duty bag at work for prying and doing stuff I wouldn't do with any other knife.
<a href="http://s229.photobucket.com/user/tusk212/media/2012-07-10_12-02-05_795.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/tusk212/2012-07-10_12-02-05_795.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks a lot like mine :)

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Strider?  Not even if it comes with a pair of D cups  and a pussy that cures cancer.
View Quote

Ok, I've missed something apparently. Fill me in?

buk
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do we hate the guy again?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's pretty impressive that it can take that kind of abuse.  It's also 100% unnecessary.
View Quote

Maybe, but I've owned a dozen knives in CPM3V (most at 58-59RC) and in my opinion they sharpen as easily as s30v, hold an edge just as long under most circumstances and even better under others, and are way more corrosion resistant than you'd expect from being technically non-stainless.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Long story short, he lied about details of his service.  He eventually apologized, but only after being called out.  To some it was unforgivable and they won't buy anything associated with him or his company.  Others have decided to forgive and own and enjoy his knives. I, obviously, belong to the second group.   I don't judge people for belonging to the first as I understand where they are coming from.  For the record, I am former military.  It still doesn't bother me enough to boycott Strider. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Answered
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#14]
In the 1990's they were the coolest knife company on Earth.  In the early 2000's they blew up with Internet forums, magazine articles, and the War on Terror.  Then it became Grail this, pimp that, Strider spa this, custom that.  The Usual Suspect Network became a Strider can do no wrong circle jerk of guys that collect knives.  Then a few competitors  paid for a private investigator to see who the supposed black ops special forces guys were.  Then all hell broke loose.  Strangest thing, the fanboys didn't even blink.  So now, 7 or so years later, we have a company that makes standard knives and what I can only describe as art knives, selling everything they make.

Is the DB a good tool? Yes, for what it was intended.  I carried one for years.  I think the DB-L is a better tool.  It is a semi sharp pry bar and a last ditch defence weapon.  If that is what you are looking for and don't mind spending more for the cool guy factor great.  I was stuck  in a weird spot of liking thier basic knives and hating the lies and the fanboys.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Now that I know people are making money off their YouTube vids, I question anybody coming on here to pimp their gear review videos. We're just money to you huh?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice chisels. Fuck strider.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now that I know people are making money off their YouTube vids, I question anybody coming on here to pimp their gear review videos. We're just money to you huh?
View Quote

What questions would you like to ask?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

buk
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

buk

He's a felon
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm with this guy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.

The guy was a car thief at one point, IIRC.

Eta. That's my beef.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Eta. That's my beef.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.

Eta. That's my beef.  

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/453852-Mick-Strider-has-some-explaining-to-do
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
That's a hell of a way to treat a knife.

Get one of these.

Fubar
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.

Eta. That's my beef.  

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/453852-Mick-Strider-has-some-explaining-to-do

Wow.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s229.photobucket.com/user/tusk212/media/2012-07-10_12-02-05_795.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/tusk212/2012-07-10_12-02-05_795.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like that blade style and size but don't have the money.  Anything else close to that blade style under $75.00 that is also fixed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Chris Reeve and ESEE for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.

Eta. That's my beef.  

Wow.

Yep lol
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

I can't speak for Site Staff, but I believe it's a grey area. Some folks are blatant about it. "Updated my blog/YouTube Channel. Time to hit the 57 forums that I joined to promote my blog/YouTube channel."
Some are doing it professionally, but are active forum members outside of their business endeavours. Others are well known experts in their respective fields, and we are fortunate to have them participate.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Crusader Forge makes theirs out of the same steel and have been around longer.

http://www.crusaderforge.com/
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

not to mention what kind of edge can it retain.

if i am going to demo a house i won't be using my knife
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not to mention what kind of edge can it retain.

if i am going to demo a house i won't be using my knife

I've owned A LOT of CPM3V and it's at least on par with S30V.

Edit: it's also about as easy to sharpen and the corrosion resistance is much better than what you'd except from a technically non-stainless steel (much better than carbon steels like 1095).  Also check out Carpenters Micromelt PD#1 and Z-Wear. Great steels.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I can't speak for Site Staff, but I believe it's a grey area. Some folks are blatant about it. "Updated my blog/YouTube Channel. Time to hit the 57 forums that I joined to promote my blog/YouTube channel."

Some are doing it professionally, but are active forum members outside of their business endeavours. Others are well known experts in their respective fields, and we are fortunate to have them participate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record I have no affiliation in any way to Strider Knives nor either of the YouTube channels that posted the videos. I have a YouTube channel, but it only has a handful of workout vids and my LASIK operation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For the record I have no affiliation in any way to Strider Knives nor either of the YouTube channels that posted the videos. I have a YouTube channel, but it only has a handful of workout vids and my LASIK operation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to workout vids?

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Link to workout vids?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to workout vids?

Cant. Coc violation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.

Eta. That's my beef.  

Wow.

Well this went down in flames pretty quick
LMFAO Merry Christmas OP
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

1200.00 for a fucking knife
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crusader Forge makes theirs out of the same steel and have been around longer.

http://www.crusaderforge.com/

1200.00 for a fucking knife

WTF I could prolly buy a stick of fuckin...................JJ say... Dynoooomite for dat... JJ say
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well this went down in flames pretty quick
LMFAO Merry Christmas OP
View Quote

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I like that blade style and size but don't have the money.  Anything else close to that blade style under $75.00 that is also fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In for other options. No way would I spend a dime with Strider, the guy is a complete piece of shit.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy shit
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In for other options. No way would I spend a dime with Strider, the guy is a complete piece of shit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know anything about the company, but they do a small fixed blade in the same 3V steel
Bark River Necker
Also check out the Les George VECP in 3V. It's more money, about $175, but a really nice knife.  He hardens them to 60RC so it won't be quite as tough as something similar at 58RC, but way tougher than other steels and tougher than you'll likely need.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck Strider with one of his own rusty blades.

Piece of shit thieving convict
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I will stick with Ferhman and Grayman knives
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.

Eta. That's my beef.  

Summary:

Mick Strider’s birth name is Mickey Ray Burger.
   Mick Strider claims he served in the 2/75th Rangers. .At some point Mick posted a copy of his DD214. Allegations were made that it was altered, specifically that he entered “Honorable” (note mixed case lettering) in the discharge block.
   Mick Strider claims that he is a combat veteran.
   Mick Strider claims that during service, he developed a spinal injury, causing him to lose jump status, resulting in his discharge. Mick Strider later claims that this injury led him to incur disciplinary action (whether Article 15 or other not known), and be discharged from service as an E1
   Court documents involving a libel & defamation case against Mick Strider include a settlement where he states his discharge from Army service as an E1, and barred from reenlistment. Part of the settlement agreement includes statemens refuting combat claims and "black ops" experience. Military.com shows Mickey Ray Burger as having a final rank of E1.
   From 1986 to 1993 there is no information on Mick Strider's activities. Evidence of Special Operations affiliation during this time is absent and not provided.
   Mick Strider states that after his time in the Army, he "rolled" with some "heavy" hitters and alludes that this time was spend performing Special Operations missions during magazine articles.
   Mick Strider claims in 1993 he was "tasked" with obtaining a vehicle and stole it / carjacked it. It is intimated that this was done while operating in a “black ops” unit. He was arrested and convicted for this crime.
   Mick Strider claims that during sentencing, the prosecutor was supposed to ask for his sentence to be one year’s service in Somalia, with his pay forfeit. Given the nature of the other claims, this service is intimated to be Special Operations in nature, especially given his attempts to tie it to the deaths of Rangers in Mogadishu during that time.
   Mick Strider does not “serve for a year in Somalia” and was instead sentenced to 5 years in prison.
   After release from prison in 1998, Mick Strider started Strider Knives.
   Following Mick Strider’s release from prison, he builds a reputation that his products are based on Special Operations and combat experience. Numerous magazine articles are written alleging to this experience and how it makes his product a better choice.
   Mick Strider makes numerous statements online that his is a combat veteran, and makes references to carrying and using firearms, despite revelations that he is, in fact a convicted felon.
   Current collaborations with other businesses list Mick Strider as former Special Operations personnel.

Ouch!

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I will stick with Ferhman and Grayman knives
View Quote

Both awesome knives!  I need an Extreme Judgement :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top