Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2013 9:28:28 AM EDT
I got the old lady a new iphone yesterday, and it has a mobile hot spot option in Settings.

Is this free to use?  Or will ATT charge me if I turn it on?  We have a 2 gb/mo mobile sharing plan.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I got the old lady a new iphone yesterday, and it has a mobile hot spot option in Settings.

Is this free to use?  Or will ATT charge me if I turn it on?  We have a 2 gb/mo mobile sharing plan.
View Quote

Only charged for the data used.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have "hotspot" activated on your account, I think you have to actually get the change made on the carrier end before you can use it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
They charge... used to be you had to get it set up with them ahead of time, don't know now, but they DO charge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that it counts against your data plan.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only charged if I go over my 2 gb?  Or would it be a whole nother data charge?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  You will blow through the 2gb/mo in a few days though.

I am grandfathered into the original unlimited data plan with ATT.  However, if I turn on the hotspot feature, I will get booted from the plan as they claim it alters the original agreement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am grandfathered into the original unlimited data plan with ATT.  However, if I turn on the hotspot feature, I will get booted from the plan as they claim it alters the original agreement.

What can't these big companies get away with?  I've been screwed so hard by comcast so many times that my proctologist became concerned. No other options here for internet, at least not any that are better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
They told me that when I'm on the WiFi at my house, it does not count against your data limit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you are using the data on your iPhone, it would be part of the 2g. All you are doing is turning on a wireless transmitter.

At least this is how my ATT plan works.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a separate fee to use hotspot, regardless of if you use any data or not.  But I think the data is all shared whether it's used by the phone natively or by other devices through the hotspot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They told me that when I'm on the WiFi at my house, it does not count against your data limit.
View Quote

thats different, what they are talking about turns the phone basically into wifi hotspot so you could share the phones data with say a tablet or laptop
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There's a separate fee to use hotspot, regardless of if you use any data or not.  But I think the data is all shared whether it's used by the phone natively or by other devices through the hotspot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get charged to use my hotspot. I believe the iPhone data plan includes it. I know Android does not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Always use wifi when you can.  That means you are getting data from your home internet (or other source) and NOT from the cell tower.  Data from the cell tower is what costs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Yup, it seems like EVERYTHING alters the grandfathered agreement.  I had a hell of a time keeping my unlimited data when I added my daughter to my account.  The only way to do it was a really limited set of options and a pretty hefty price tag....

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too and that's the identical spiel I got from them.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you don't have "hotspot" activated on your account, I think you have to actually get the change made on the carrier end before you can use it.
View Quote

Yes I had to call and have it turned on for it to work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't your unlimited plan get seriously throttled if you use it a lot?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jailbreak and PDAnet. My contract is so old it is unlimited and there was no mention of tethering at all. Now they say in order to unlock a phone feature I need to give up my unlimited. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rules, we have them for a reason.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Jailbreak and PDAnet. My contract is so old it is unlimited and there was no mention of tethering at all. Now they say in order to unlock a phone feature I need to give up my unlimited. Fuck them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My iphone 4 is jailbroken, and when I need a mobile hotspot, this is how I've done it before.  However if I can do a hotspot for "free" with a new iphone, it would eliminate one of the few reasons to jailbreak.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Doesn't your unlimited plan get seriously throttled if you use it a lot?
View Quote

Somebody told me, not sure if its true, that they can't throttle in the 4G/LTE spectrum as it violates some agreement thy made with the Feds to gain access to the spectrum. I believe they can throttle 3G.

Again, not sure if that's accurate or if I'm understanding it correctly.

I might tether a couple gigs a month if that, but I like having the option, and I'm not giving up my n limited date to access a feature built I o the phone and that AT&T decides I can use only if I give up what they promised me of life and never excluded in my contract.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't get charged to use my hotspot. I believe the iPhone data plan includes it. I know Android does not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does. Any carrier that advertises 4gLTE service is required by law/binding agreement by the FCC to allow the mobile hotspot feature on phones free (no extra charges), or they breach their contract with the government for the rights to the LTE spectrum and get fined. So if they tell you anything different, give old Uncle Sam a ring. He'd LOVE to know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My iphone 4 is jailbroken, and when I need a mobile hotspot, this is how I've done it before.  However if I can do a hotspot for "free" with a new iphone, it would eliminate one of the few reasons to jailbreak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. If you don't have an unlimited data plan, doesn't make a difference. For those of us who refuse to give in to AT&Ts dirty tricks, it makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Few" reasons to jailbreak?  I used to be a nonbeliever about jailbreaking, thinking it was for teenage girls that want some flashy shit and ringtones, but it opened up a whole new world of tweaks and abilities.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

James is correct. If you use the iPhone as a hotspot, any data used will count against your monthly 2GB allotment.

There is not an extra charge for Hotspot if you are on a mobile share plan.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"Few" reasons to jailbreak?  I used to be a nonbeliever about jailbreaking, thinking it was for teenage girls that want some flashy shit and ringtones, but it opened up a whole new world of tweaks and abilities.
View Quote

For me, I needed two things:  Tethering, and iBlacklist.

I don't care about screensavers, themes, icons, sounds... none of that matters to me.  Mobile Terminal is neat, but I've never used it once in 6 years.

If tethering can be done now "legally", and ios7 now includes a caller block feature (finally), then theres no more reason for me to jailbreak.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now you have a taste of what it's like to use an Android powered phone ;)

Something like the Nexus with an unlocked bootloader gives you more possibilities than you could dream of.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#28]
True story -

I am grandfathered in on an unlimited plan on AT&T. Last month I got lazy and just ran LTE the whole month as it typically runs faster than my wifi at work and I got a notice from ATT that I was reaching my 5GB limit and I would be throttled. Of course they said that I would still be able to load just slower.

Bullshit.

I was throttled so hard that pictures would not load, email wouldn't load, I was basically back in the days of dial up Internet. Hell worse than that.

Once I got into work I found online a trick to unthrottle. Really weird but it works.

Turn off LTE.
Go into airplane mode.
Call yourself, it will tell you to turn off airplane mode - do so
Call yourself again if it didn't start doing it.
Listen to your voicemail for 10 seconds.
Hang up
Turn on LTE.

Bam, unthrottled. Amazing and totally weird but it works.

So I'm a little confused now, is it legal or illegal for them to change my plan if I use a hotspot? And how exactly do they go about doing that if I just did it without asking? Do they just do it? Do they warn me?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#29]
AT&T charge for hotspotting is $20/mo. here. And if you're already grandfathered for unlimited data, you will have to give that up.

It's not a matter of "what they can get away with" as someone said above ... it's their fucking system, so they get to make the rules. If you haven't figured it out, they would love to get people OFF their grandfathered data plans, since it's eating their lunch. And if you start tethering, you'll eat up more bandwidth, so they charge you extra for it. It's not complicated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Something like the Nexus with an unlocked bootloader gives you more possibilities than you could dream of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except I don't have to worry about popping the battery out, forced updates that brick the phone, HAVING to tinker with it to get everything to work right, or software written in an attempt to cater to a huge fragmented array of devices from different manufacturers...

I'll just stick with this jailbroken iPhone 5 since it does everything I want it to do without fail.  Btw, I'm no apple "fanboy", this and an iPad are the only apple products I have.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
AT&T charge for hotspotting is $20/mo. here. And if you're already grandfathered for unlimited data, you will have to give that up.

It's not a matter of "what they can get away with" as someone said above ... it's their fucking system, so they get to make the rules. If you haven't figured it out, they would love to get people OFF their grandfathered data plans, since it's eating their lunch. And if you start tethering, you'll eat up more bandwidth, so they charge you extra for it. It's not complicated.
View Quote

OP is on a 2GB/month mobile share plan. No charge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
AT&T charge for hot spotting is $20/mo. here.
View Quote

But be careful.  They'll automatically take away your unlimited data and start charging you per byte.  A couple of guys that worked for me enabled it on their iPhones with AT&T one day when the office Internet was down, and both got hit with a >$500 bill.  When they called 611, AT&T didn't tell them they were losing their unlimited data plan by enabling it.z
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but others who chimed in aren't.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
True story -

I am grandfathered in on an unlimited plan on AT&T. Last month I got lazy and just ran LTE the whole month as it typically runs faster than my wifi at work and I got a notice from ATT that I was reaching my 5GB limit and I would be throttled. Of course they said that I would still be able to load just slower.

Bullshit.

I was throttled so hard that pictures would not load, email wouldn't load, I was basically back in the days of dial up Internet. Hell worse than that.

Once I got into work I found online a trick to unthrottle. Really weird but it works.

Turn off LTE.
Go into airplane mode.
Call yourself, it will tell you to turn off airplane mode - do so
Call yourself again if it didn't start doing it.
Listen to your voicemail for 10 seconds.
Hang up
Turn on LTE.

Bam, unthrottled. Amazing and totally weird but it works.

So I'm a little confused now, is it legal or illegal for them to change my plan if I use a hotspot? And how exactly do they go about doing that if I just did it without asking? Do they just do it? Do they warn me?
View Quote

How did you learn that? Cool!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Im pretty sure we have a share plan and pay for hotspot.  I know our bill with att is combined.  My only option for internet out here is hotspot.  Our bill is around $250 for two phones. I would love to get that number down and still be able to have internet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top