Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2013 9:26:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for interest, I've got a bunch of old slides from when my dad was in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
A few years ago  I bought an HP scanner that included a slide scanning adapter.  It works very well.

HP is on top of the game when it comes to scanners and printers.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Me and Sis` bought an HP scanner a few years back that would do slides.
I think the scanner would hold around 20 slides or so at a time.
Can`t remember the model number though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I got one last Christmas at macys I think that worked ok but it was one slide at a time. A cousin spent $200-$300 and got an automated one they'd set to run overnight. Her father and my uncle and grandfather were in the photography business and left us thousands of slides!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought my dad some scanner thing for just that purpose some years back... not sure if he ever used it.  So, fat lot of good this post does you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Nikon had an adapter that screwed onto the lense of some of their digital cameras and you just took a picture of the slide.That is what I used and it worked really good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-Scanjet-and-HP-Fax/L1957A. ?

Aimless,
I think that may be the one we bought for Dad.
Looks like 16 slides at a time so that sounds about right. I was thinking Dad`s scanner held more than that but guess I was wrong. Anyway, the scanner worked good and Dad filled his HD with scans of bunches of pics ( slides ) of him and his buddies on a base in Korea when he was younger.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah nothing cool like that. My dad was in WWII and did not have a camera.  

I think there might be a photo of his dog "Lucky" and a few other things but it's mostly farm buildings, fields, cows.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for interest, I've got a bunch of old slides from when my dad was in Vietnam.
Yeah nothing cool like that. My dad was in WWII and did not have a camera.  

I think there might be a photo of his dog "Lucky" and a few other things but it's mostly farm buildings, fields, cows.

Aimless Sr in his military days?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Can't you take them to a photo place, may be even Walmart and get them put on a disk?

Edit:
I just checked the website, walmart does it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Budget?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#16]
BH Photo Video

This one will work fine for what you are doing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lol maybe. I wouldn't post any photos of him as I could pass for his clone  

I saw my maternal aunt for the first time in over a decade this summer and she actually gasped in shock at how much I look like dad.
View Quote

One of these days the veil of secrecy will be lifted and we'll all find out you're really Andy Cuomo
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Go to amazon.  Search for "Pana Vue 3 Slide Viewer".

It's not a scanner.  It won't put the pics on the computer.  It's under six bucks though, and it's what we used in the lab to decide on what was going through the scanner.  It'll speed things up a LOT if you're not necessarily looking to digitize every one of the slides.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There are tons of them  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't you take them to a photo place, may be even Walmart and get them put on a disk?

Edit:
I just checked the website, walmart does it.
There are tons of them  

Edit: $460 per thousand.

Spendy
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#23]
About ten years ago, my daughter did such a project for a school assignment.
Projected some old guy's slides on a screen, then took digital photos.
It turned out pretty good for a teenager using deteriorated slides...

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#25]
DIY slide adapter for a flatbed scanner

Maybe worth a try if you only a few slides to scan.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to amazon.  Search for "Pana Vue 3 Slide Viewer".

It's not a scanner.  It won't put the pics on the computer.  It's under six bucks though, and it's what we used in the lab to decide on what was going through the scanner.  It'll speed things up a LOT if you're not necessarily looking to digitize every one of the slides.
Thanks  

De nada.  We'd take 'em from there and put 'em in a Nikon scanner made specifically for slides and 35mm neg strips.  I was impressed enough with the results over the common flatbed scanner adapters that I'd probably either send it out or do it at a kiosk once you weed through them.  It's been the technology equivalent of a thousand years since I looked into this stuff though.  Some of the home options might be very good by now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-Scanjet-and-HP-Fax/L1957A. ?

HP hardware may be good, but their software sucks.  Epson > HP
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#28]
http://www.digmypics.com/pricing.aspx#standard at 44 cents per slide it sounds expensive
but believe me it is cost effective compared to buying a scanner and doing it yourself and you will be a lot, lot, lot happier with the results!!!  
I am a serious amateur photographer and have a Nikon slide scanner and I would still go with digmypics for a large number of slides.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Come to think of it, many people have a loupe sitting around for lord knows what.  That'll work just about as well as the panavue.  Just hold it up to a light source, there ya go.  The panavue is basically just a loupe with a little slide holder backed up by plastic that acts as a diffuser.

A loupe and an even light source would do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.digmypics.com/pricing.aspx#standard at 44 cents per slide it sounds expensive
but believe me it is cost effective compared to buying a scanner and doing it yourself and you will be a lot, lot, lot happier with the results!!!  
I am a serious amateur photographer and have a Nikon slide scanner and I would still go with digmypics for a large number of slides.
View Quote

Thanks for the link, this is probably the way I go with my slides.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Epson scanner with slide adapter.  Probably pick one up for less than $100.

There is going to be some working doing the scanning, but you can sort them and scan the best ones to start with.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=B11B207221#whats-in-the-box

Edit:  Amazon has these for less than a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#32]
You can use an Epson scanner, like the V600.

Do you have access to a DSLR? I think Nikon used to make an adapter that screwed onto macro lenses like the 105mm f/4 in which you slid negatives or slides into it and aimed it at a light source and snapped a digital picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top