Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2013 9:16:54 AM EDT
Years ago I had lent a friend one of my cars as he was very ill and low on funds, I gave him exclusive use of this vech and maintained the insurance and the like.

I get a ticket in the mail for running a toll on the garden state parkway.

As I said I don't drive the car at all.

So I call up the township where the court for this is and plead not guilty and get a court date.

They said the fine was $200.00

I show up and there are 30 other people there who all take the deal the state guy is offering for $35 + $15 court cost.

He gets to me and says how are you paying?

I said I am not.

He said you're gonna get hammered for the full $200

I said wanna bet?

He takes the stand and testifies that I ran the toll.

I asked him if he saw me driving the car?

He hesitated and looked at the judge and said "it doesn't matter , his car his toll"

I asked the judge to dismiss the ticket because I was not driving the car.

Judge agreed and dismissed the ticket.

I hung around as the after lunch people were coming in for toll violations.

I told as many as I could what to do before the state guy came outside with an Officer and told me I had 30 seconds to leave or be arrested for creating a disturbance.
This guy knew how to fight it too.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/effectively-beat-red-light-camera-ticket/    

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
of course, I suppose your friend could have just paid the toll instead of running it. Or if he didn't have money on him, you can usually do the honk thing/send the money afterward.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice.

Did you bring up to your friend what his running the toll had caused you to have to take time out of your day to do?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad it worked out for you, OP!  Sorry to hear that you spent the day in court because you tried to help someone out.  

Are there criminal camera laws in some states, that make the owner of the vehicle responsible for tolls and crimes?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool story but I don't think he understands how the 5th amendment works.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Neat
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice.

Did you bring up to your friend what his running the toll had caused you to have to take time out of your day to do?
View Quote
No, I asked him about it , he was honest, he told me he barely had enough money to get to the Doctors office to get the results of his cancer remission tests.

He got an all clear and is still alive and well and back on his feet now today.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Glad it worked out for you, OP!  Sorry to hear that you spent the day in court because you tried to help someone out.  

Are there criminal camera laws in some states, that make the owner of the vehicle responsible for tolls and crimes?
View Quote
I don't think so, other than parking tickets which I believe the owner might be held to account for.

Be an interesting test case if someone took a parking ticket to the max.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
of course, I suppose your friend could have just paid the toll instead of running it. Or if he didn't have money on him, you can usually do the honk thing/send the money afterward.
View Quote

I'd put money on that he DID pay the toll.

NJ is a bunch of fucking theives and the GSP is the biggest scam they have!

I went through there once, paid every toll.  I get a letter in the mail 2 months later claiming I didn't pay the toll and need to pay the toll and a $20 fine.

In the letter is a cropped photo of my lic plate.  It DOES NOT show the drivers side door where my arm would have been sticking out tossing the money in the bin.

I call up to fight it and get transfered THREE TIMES, each person telling me I'm in the wrong place.

Finally one says to send a letter stating that I had paid at the poll along with the form.  I do it, even have the form signed by the witness in the passenger seat and notorized.

I get a letter back a aweek later telling me if I don't pay within 7 days I'll get hit with a $200 late fee fine.

Option was to drive 6 hours back down to fight it or pay then never set foot in that god damned shit hole of a state again.

I chose the later option.  Fine.  $20, and FUCK YOU JERSEY!

I can god-damned guarantee I paid the toll and guarantee that its a scam, hit 10 cars an hour through there, and you'll pull 1.7 million a year as most people will just pay and not return to fight it for the mere $20.

Still.... FUCK JERSEY!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Years ago I had lent a friend one of my cars as he was very ill and low on funds, I gave him exclusive use of this vech and maintained the insurance and the like.
I get a ticket in the mail for running a toll on the garden state parkway.
As I said I don't drive the car at all.
So I call up the township where the court for this is and plead not guilty and get a court date.
They said the fine was $200.00
I show up and there are 30 other people there who all take the deal the state guy is offering for $35 + $15 court cost.
He gets to me and says how are you paying?
I said I am not.
He said you're gonna get hammered for the full $200
I said wanna bet?
He takes the stand and testifies that I ran the toll.
I asked him if he saw me driving the car?
He hesitated and looked at the judge and said "it doesn't matter , his car his toll"

I asked the judge to dismiss the ticket because I was not driving the car.
Judge agreed and dismissed the ticket.
I hung around as the after lunch people were coming in for toll violations.
I told as many as I could what to do before the state guy came outside with an Officer and told me I had 30 seconds to leave or be arrested for creating a disturbance.

This guy knew how to fight it too.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/effectively-beat-red-light-camera-ticket/      
View Quote

It's this very reason that red light cameras in Minnesota were turned off. It proved that your car went through the light, but not that it was you since it took a picture of the rear of your car. A judge ruled it unconstitutional and blam, they were turned off and removed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
But wasn't there a judge, who fought it ofr his wife, who asked to face his wife's accuser?  The camera.  He lost and had to pay,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top