Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2013 7:20:23 AM EDT
I currently heat my house with fuel oil.  The furnace has been acting up recently and that has caused me to consider if I should just replace the whole system.  Furnace is 18 years old and A/C is about 14.  What's the best option, stick with fuel oil?  Electric?  Propane?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of your options, electric/heat pump (depending on climate)

Or electric/propane backup.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what the weather is like in Taiwan so I'm gonna say just run a heat pump.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Ohio.  Hot and swampy in the summer, wet and cold in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in Ohio.  Hot and swampy in the summer, wet and cold in the winter.
View Quote

Where in Ohio?

For the majoirty of Ohio, dual fuel electric heat pump/gas backup.  Or you could even keep your oil as backup, but at that point, you might as well just do all electric.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Cincinnati.  What's the thinking behind the backup?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

When it gets below the design temp, you need the other source to provide heat.  

For example, my heat pump is all electric.  So it's the heat pump with electric heating strips as backup.  You can do any of the fuel sources as backup.

Anyway, when it gets below roughly 15*, my heat pump can no longer hold my house at 70*F and it starts falling behind.  So the backup automatically kicks on, and provides a different heat source which can keep up with the cooler weather.

The heat pump is the most efficient way to heat, so when the backup turns on, it is no longer running as efficient.

ETA: It looks like your climate is roughly the same as mine.  A heat pump should work just fine out there and save you some decent money over your current oil heat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
What exactly is a heat pump.  Is that like an ac unit?  Isn't electric more expensive than nat gas or heating oil?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in Ohio.  Hot and swampy in the summer, .
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What exactly is a heat pump.  Is that like an ac unit?  Isn't electric more expensive than nat gas or heating oil?
View Quote

A heat pump is an ac unit that when heat is required, runs in reverse.

And a heat pump is not more expensive than oil.  Heat strips/electric baseboard heat is about the same as lp, and heating oil is the most expensive.  The heat pump is about the same as nat gas and are the two most efficient options (other than radiant and geothermal).
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did lol at that myself.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100*+ and 90% humidity is more than I can take, that's hot and swampy for me
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I currently heat my house with fuel oil.  The furnace has been acting up recently and that has caused me to consider if I should just replace the whole system.  Furnace is 18 years old and A/C is about 14.  What's the best option, stick with fuel oil?  Electric?  Propane?
View Quote
If you're going to go all new go with a dual fuel, oil/propane

Use which ever one is cheaper  

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
A lot of people in northern Florida have them

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two most expensive ways to heat a house.    Hey, it's his money!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people in PA have them too.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't use a heat pump

They basically multiply available heat

If you don't have much heat Like in a northern state, they try to multiply by Zero producing no heat

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I currently have both. Propane in one house, oil in the other. Propane is currently slightly cheaper here. The BIG advantage to propane, is maintenence. No changing filters, nozzles, screens, etc. every year. Just a quick vaccuum & inspection, and done. Oil is a PITA and I'm constantly waiting for that furnace to fail (which it does, even though  I maintain it properly). If I had to choose between the two, I would FO propane every time. Just my $.02.
Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't use a heat pump

They basically multiply available heat

If you don't have much heat Like in a northern state, they try to multiply by Zero producing no heat

View Quote

My heat pump works excellent down to around 15*.    It very rarely goes below 15* here, or in Cincinnati.  And when it does, instead of paying cheaper rates than oil and LP, you will just be paying the same when it goes to backup LP/OIL/heat strip.  

Heat pump with NG backup is probably one of the most efficient units around for his (and my) climate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#19]

I just bought a 4 ton 19 SEER compressor/air handler central air/furnace from them and saved a ton of dough. Found a guy to install it all for 500 bucks.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.acwholesalers.com/

I just bought a 4 ton 19 SEER compressor/air handler central air/furnace from them and saved a ton of dough. Found a guy to install it all for 500 bucks.

View Quote

Also where I bought mine  They didn't just have great prices, but they were great to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Also where I bought mine  They didn't just have great prices, but they were great to deal with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You two work for them or something?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is Goodman a good brand? Where are they made? How did you determine what size you needed? We are looking to replace ours soon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Natural gas available?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Is Goodman a good brand? Where are they made? How did you determine what size you needed? We are looking to replace ours soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Goodman also owns Trane and they are both manufactured at their plant in Houston. I've been pretty impressed with my Goodman's quality.

I did my homework on determining the size. Installing too large a unit can cause humidity issues. I went with the highest SEER I could as higher SEER means more energy efficient.

I replaced a 3 ton 8 SEER unit which was 20 years old. My electricity bill dropped in August from 350 bucks last year with the old system to 179 bucks with the new one.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Propane here on the northeast side of Pa is $1.90 a gallon

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We built this house in 2005, 50k 1 1/2 ton upstairs furance/AC and a 100k BTU 3 ton for the downstairs and basement bedrooms, both goodmans

The only thing we had to fix so far is the capacitors in both AC units, $35 bucks and you can change them yourself.

Both these units are propane or natural gas if you have it available, in January it will be 9 years.

I don't know how long they last but I feel like I already got my money's worth.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#27]
For years I had an electric heat pump. I had an old one and replaced it with a newer more efficient one. Pretty much when it got below 35 or so, the damn thing ran all the time and I was still cold. I would turn it over to the furnace, shutting off the heat pump and it was still cold.

I moved and now have a gas furnace. I love it! Instant heat and it heats up the house much faster and I can now get warm. Also, no static electricity like I had with the electric heat pump and my skin is not as dry.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For years I had an electric heat pump. I had an old one and replaced it with a newer more efficient one. Pretty much when it got below 35 or so, the damn thing ran all the time and I was still cold. I would turn it over to the furnace, shutting off the heat pump and it was still cold.

I moved and now have a gas furnace. I love it! Instant heat and it heats up the house much faster and I can now get warm. Also, no static electricity like I had with the electric heat pump and my skin is not as dry.
View Quote

Dry skin comes from an oversized unit that heats too quickly.

A heat pump is most efficient when it runs for extended periods of time.

Not heating below 35 is something else, not a problem with simply being a heat pump.

Your bill was probably much cheaper before.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Goodman also owns Trane and they are both manufactured at their plant in Houston. I've been pretty impressed with my Goodman's quality.

I did my homework on determining the size. Installing too large a unit can cause humidity issues. I went with the highest SEER I could as higher SEER means more energy efficient.

I replaced a 3 ton 8 SEER unit which was 20 years old. My electricity bill dropped in August from 350 bucks last year with the old system to 179 bucks with the new one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they don't.

Biggest thing to look for is a quality contractor to install the system.

Oh, and all manufacturers void the warranty if the equipment is bought on line.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not heating below 35 is something else, not a problem with simply being a heat pump.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your house will dry out in the winter time no matter how quickly it heats up.

You need to add a whole house humidifier to keep the proper humidity.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No, they don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they don't.

AC Wholesalers backs the manufacturer warranty so long as it's installed by a professional, and claims that the manufacturer won't honor the warranty on most items.   I had the concern, and also talked to goodman and they said to register it and they would back the warranty as well.  

So I don't really know what to believe about that whole voided warranty thing.  Goodman said it wouldn't be voided, and it registered just as a normal unit would.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

An hour or so north of you. Last year we replaced our 20 y/o propane furnace with a heat pump/AC with Propane backup. Also added a wall mount propane blue flame unit for heat when electricity is out. We went from filling the propane tank 4 times a winter, to 2. The Propane backup kicks on when the outside temp is 35* or less. Our thermostat sits at 72* in the winter. After the initial cost, it is cheaper per year.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually no, my bill went down.

I understand a heat pump might be more efficient, but damn, the thing ran all the time in the winter. I was also much colder as the heat pump didn't put out as warm of air than the gas furnace does.

IMHO, a heat pump especially electric is fine for south GA or FL but pretty much anything north of there it sucks when it gets into the 30's and lower.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IMHO, a heat pump especially electric is fine for south GA or FL but pretty much anything north of there it sucks when it gets into the 30's and lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if you say so.  teens to 30's for the past month here, house has stayed at 70 the entire time.  2500sq ft all electric 1980's house and my electric bill was $212.

My old heat pump would have been in the low $300's for the month, the new one is definitely much more efficient than the 1980's unit.  The crazy thing is that it was still cheaper than a house with oil or LP/month.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

AC Wholesalers backs the manufacturer warranty so long as it's installed by a professional, and claims that the manufacturer won't honor the warranty on most items.   I had the concern, and also talked to goodman and they said to register it and they would back the warranty as well.  

So I don't really know what to believe about that whole voided warranty thing.  Goodman said it wouldn't be voided, and it registered just as a normal unit would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they don't.

Good luck with that.

I am in the industry, and all manufacturers void the warranty when it's sold on line.  They also all void the warranty if it's not installed by a qualified professional.  They all also void the warranty if the system is not properly maintained.

I hope you don't have a major component fail.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am in the industry, and all manufacturers void the warranty when it's sold on line.  They also all void the warranty if it's not installed by a qualified professional.  They all also void the warranty if the system is not properly maintained.

View Quote

Every HVAC person that I talk to says that it would be voided if bought online, but none of them have actual experience to back it up.  Goodman said they would back it though, so that is what I have to go off for now.

Honestly, I'm hoping that I never have to go through the warranty process, so time will tell.  I guess that the lifetime scroll warranty is the one that would be the biggy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Handy dandy calculator.... Clicky
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Handy dandy calculator.... Clicky
View Quote

Keep in mind that the "electric" on there is not for a heat pump.  A heat pump per million BTU is closer to $10-15.

Obviously, if you are in a much colder climate, a heat pump is NOT a good choice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#39]
ZW17 will be your man to answer your questions
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Every HVAC person that I talk to says that it would be voided if bought online, but none of them have actual experience to back it up.  Goodman said they would back it though, so that is what I have to go off for now.

Honestly, I'm hoping that I never have to go through the warranty process, so time will tell.  I guess that the lifetime scroll warranty is the one that would be the biggy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will they handle it?

I don't know, but seeing some of the warranties that have been rejected over the last couple of years for failure to maintain the equipment, I wouldn't want to run the risk.

Did you have a qualified company install it?  Did they run a load to verify you bought the correct size?  Did they verify your ductwork is the correct size for the house and your new unit?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No, they don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they don't.

I did misspeak when I mistakenly wrote Trane instead of Amana. My bad. Goodman makes Amana.

Incidentally, Trane PTAC units are made by Amana, which is indeed owned by Goodman. So, they do have that slight relationship.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Will they handle it?

I don't know, but seeing some of the warranties that have been rejected over the last couple of years for failure to maintain the equipment, I wouldn't want to run the risk.

Did you have a qualified company install it?  Did they run a load to verify you bought the correct size?  Did they verify your ductwork is the correct size for the house and your new unit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will they handle it?

My friend did do all of that (and it is his company).  

I'm less concerned with the professional installation than I am with purchasing online.  But like I said, Goodman claimed that they would honor the warranty.  And if not, ACwholesalers states that they will back the manufacturers warranty.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm moving into a farm house with forced-air fuel oil.   It looks like a '70's furnace.    (N IL)

I have an LP tank scheduled to be set & I'll install a heil 96% 2-stage w/ DC motor, converted for LP.

I'll probably go with reznor unit heater in the attached garage, and probably 96% furnaces in the outbuildings, with a separate LP tank.

Currently, the water heater & dryer are both electric.    I'll replace them with LP models.

Eventually, I'll try burning wood for most of the heat.

Because of the current, old oil furnace, I'll replace all the duct work, boots, and registers.      I'll stick the oil furnace in the barn & figure out how to convert it to burn used motor oil.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been doing HVAC  work since '94. Not one contractor I know will install the equipment you bought. You will be able to find some handy man without a license to install it.  Local suppliers wont support internet bought equipment. There is a reason that HVAC work is expensive, License fees, continuing education, tools, truck, insurance, etc. Dealers and Installers have to keep this stuff up.
I will work on it once its installed but I won't warranty any part. You ordered it, you get it exchanged then I will come back and install the part. No labor warranty.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#45]
In my area, in IL, I'm not impressed with Goodman...   and if you are, what would you consider a lesser brand?

I was a dealer for Ruud in the late 80's when I was a teen & they used to be great units.

Switched to comfortmaker through my 20's with the GUA 80% & GUH 90% models...   and then to the GNI 83% & GUJ 93%.  

Had great luck with the Heil 95% units for the last decade...

For the last year, I've been installing the new 33" tall comfortmaker furnaces & have great luck.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what? 2 days a year?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top