Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 3:56:39 PM EDT
how can I get a 1k pound safe out of the back of a truck.  rolling it straight into the garage but trying to think of a way to let it down softly.  It will be laid down on its back we just have to figure out how to slide it out and tip it so it lands on its bottom without fucking it up or killing ourselves.

Any ideas?   I could drill some holes through the garage cieling and use the 2x4s and some rope somehow but not sure if that will even support 1000 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful. Don't die.

I would try to use a tractor or skid loader or something with hydraulic lifting and lowering capability. But I have access to those things.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Refer dolly, couple of jackson straps, and four guys
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why I used the trailer from work that raises and lowers the entire deck when I picked up mine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The time to plan this stuff out and make arrangements is BEFORE you have the damned thing in your truck!

Now that it's in there you are now running the risk of doing something inadvisable due to a desire to get it done.

Someone with a forklift and some lifting slings, and a good come-along would be really good right now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Throw some masonite on top of some ATV/mower/motorcycle ramps and slide it down. Strap well around the top and stand it up.

Make sure the tailgate cables are not corroded.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Push
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a 600 lb one out by myself, but don't think I'll ever try that again.
On it's back in truck, slid it off on a couple 2X12's jammed against the garage floor lip so they wouldn't slide, then about killed myself standing it up. ALMOST came over on top of me!
Once off, put 3/4" pipes under it and rolled it where I wanted it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

4 BURLY guys!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Redneck dump truck.

Tailgate down, full reverse, hit the brakes, then put it in drive as soon as you can without tearing shit up and floor it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a 600 lb one out by myself, but don't think I'll ever try that again.
On it's back in truck, slid it off on a couple 2X12's jammed against the garage floor lip so they wouldn't slide, then about killed myself standing it up. ALMOST came over on top of me!
Once off, put 3/4" pipes under it and rolled it where I wanted it.
View Quote

You're lucky that you didn't get squished.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Park the truck on a very steep hill facing uphill. You need to lower the tailgate and take off as fast as you can. The safe will come out with little or no effort.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Two 2x4's under it, slide it out with two holding the unsupported end, when enough is exposed to fall slowly lower, then have the guy in the bed of the truck push it up and out the rest of the way. Using broom sticks etc will help it roll, and pad the 2x4s.

I didn't care about the finish of mine and just pushed it out till it could be lowered.

Take the tailgate off. Might raise the front of the truck to lessen the angle too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Slide out til it's balanced, then tip, do not stand in front of, four or five reasonably fit guys should be able to do any neccessary manhandling without much if any mechanical aid. Buy beer, brats, and burgers, invite the guys over, don't try to be sneaky about it, it's a quick job for half time or waiting on grub.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup...muscles of multiple men and an appliance hand truck maybe. That is a huge bitch...er...safe.

How about a floor jack and/or furniture dollys to move it after it is out of the pickup?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Come on....man up....  I slid my 600 pound safe off the back of my truck onto cardboard in the grass all by myself...  Probably not the smartest thing I have ever done, but it worked.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Engine hoist cargo straps and chains, and an unwillingness to place any part of your body underneath the safe.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Get somebody with a lift gate and a pallet jack. There's no margin for error with a safe that heavy. It can kill you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
dont kbow what those are but if you want to come help tomorrow we will have three people. free case of beer and some deer or elk meet if you dont have any.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Two 2x4's under it, slide it out with two holding the unsupported end, when enough is exposed to fall slowly lower, then have the guy in the bed of the truck push it up and out the rest of the way. Using broom sticks etc will help it roll, and pad the 2x4s.

I didn't care about the finish of mine and just pushed it out till it could be lowered.

Take the tailgate off. Might raise the front of the truck to lessen the angle too.
View Quote
Airing-down rear tires will also shave a few inches

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Tailgate down, drive in reverse at about 30 mph, then slam on the brakes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Can you remove the door?
if yes you now have a 500lb door & 500lb safe body to move, very easy job for 3-4 strong guys.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Cherry picker the kind used to pull the engine out of a car, you can rent them from Auto zone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Tractor or heavy equipment.

You gotta know someone with heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#24]
You can put 750# or more on each tailgate stay doing this.  Be very careful.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you on a street with a curb?  Back up to it perpendicular.  That's about 8".  Most streets have a camber.  That points you down hill.  Get a couple of 6x6's and put them on the ground at the back of the truck.  Slowly slide the safe off the back of the truck.  Keep your hands, feet and head out of the way.  

Get some lodge pole tree stakes from a landscape supplier.  Cut them to a length that is about 6-12" wider than your safe.  Walk the safe off of the 6x6's and on to the lodge poles.  Move it like the Egyptians.  You can even fan the lodge poles to go around corners.

I have moved boxed trees that weigh over a ton this way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You can put 750# or more on each tailgate stay doing this.  Be very careful.
View Quote
yeah probably take the tailgate off.going to pey it up and roll it off the bed with pipes. just gotta figure uot the best way to control the drop.  cherry picker and tow straps seem to be a decent option if i can  find one to rent.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Slide out til it's balanced, then tip, do not stand in front of, four or five reasonably fit guys should be able to do any neccessary manhandling without much if any mechanical aid. Buy beer, brats, and burgers, invite the guys over, don't try to be sneaky about it, it's a quick job for half time or waiting on grub.
View Quote

this. it's easier if you take the tailgate off. as above, slide it straight back till you get to the tipping point, get a couple guys on each side, and lower it - but be sure not to get your fingers under it. once bottom edge is on floor get in truck and stand it up (sort of roll it up onto the base). as others have posted, once standing upright I took the door off mine, took about 1/3 of the weight off.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Untie the safe and put the vehicle in reverse, gun it and around 20 mph lock down the brakes.  It will come out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
It is easy.  Don't be in a hurry and remove the tailgate first.

Pry bars, wedges, ropes, come a longs, and ease it out the back. Probably easer to stand it up than lay it down.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine is 1000#.  I unloaded it with a bobcat, and set it on my garage floor....then used a pallet jack to move it where I wanted it, then shimmied it off the pallet...wasn't bad....its one heavy mofo.

I'd say do not try it w/o a skid loader or forklift...once it starts moving, it's not stopping until it hits the ground.  You have huge odds that you will fuck up the safe, the floor, and anyone in between.

You could try a cherry picker if it has the reach, but most won't.

ETA:
It was much easier sending it to the bottom of the lake during the boating accident.  They just sink.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#31]
As somebody who just bought a 3,300 pound safe and watched it moved, I scoff at this thread . . .

My suggestion . . . take the tailgate off. Slide it until you can tip it. Right it up (with help if necessary) and move it with an appliance dolly. Most gun safes are nothing but glorified lockers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Just push it out. Concrete is made to crack.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#33]
We kept it strapped on an appliance dolly and laid it down in the back if a horse trailer.  4 of us slid it out and carefully tilted it into rolling position.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in the slide it to the edge and have everyone help her down camp. Something soft at the bottom for it to land on just in case.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Come on....man up....  I slid my 600 pound safe off the back of my truck onto cardboard in the grass all by myself...  Probably not the smartest thing I have ever done, but it worked.
View Quote

This. Did it by myself with a ~500 lb one. Bunch of flattened card boxes overlapping. Slid right off, then used a hand dolly. Might want to take the gate attachments/ rear gate off though for that heavy of a safe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Go to Uhaul and rent this.  Make life easy and safer.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
take the door off. that will cut the weight by about 50%.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I never had one that was 1,000 pounds but I have unloaded and moved a few by myself with no problems that were large fire safes.  I had blankets underneath them in the truck bed and they still had the pallet affixed to the bottom.  Just slid them until they tipped down to the ground and stood them up.  Strapped them to a hand truck and moved them into the house.

Easier to transport them in a small trailer that tilts from the axle to the ground or a trailer with a drop down ramp.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#39]
turn the video camera on first...  
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#40]

<----- has moved six of them

Remove tailgate. Place two 2x8-8' on the bumper & the other end on the concrete floor. Slide safe out onto the 2x8 & tip it up on it's skid or base when it gets to the bottom of the 2x8's. Two guys should be able to control the decent.  Keep your feet out from under the safe. Use a rolling automotive floor jack to raise it up just barely off the floor.  Push, pull it into place.  It is a good idea to put a 12" 2x4 on the lift plate of the floor jack.

If you have to move across carpet or a hard surface floor, tip it on it's side and lay it on card board.  Then simply slide near to where it is going and stand it up to put it in place.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

turn the video camera on first...  
View Quote
lol. It will actually be on my surveillance cameras in case something funny happens.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#42]
My pregnant wife and I moved a safe that size.......with the tailgate off, slide it out till it's balanced where you have to push it down the floor........Then have the wife unit put the truck in reverse to stand it up. That simple.  After its upright, move it on pipes or golf balls.  For stairs I'm afraid you'll need some men with strong backs and weak minds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Take your tailgate off and place a few sheets of plywood on the floor for the bottom edge of the safe to fall on. You can then stand your safe up on a couple of pipes and roll it where you want by removing a pipe after it comes close to the edge and replacing it . One of my safes is an 1800 lb Drake sake and this is the way we off loaded it and positioned it inside the garage where it was bolted down with steel lag bolts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#44]
In on page 1 of a safe thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top