Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2013 2:33:25 PM EDT
Working at the range today two guys showed up with ARs to shoot. They were shooting fine until I noticed the guy beating on his AR trying to get a round chambered. I start to walk over and he told me the gun is Jammed. I looked at it and said that is a double feed and easy to fix. As soon as I popped the rounds out I noticed they were 7.62x39 rounds. I held them up and asked if thats what his barrel was chambered for. He gave me a look. He had three Thermold mags. All with 223 ammo in them and one jammed with 7.62x39. I was like how the hell do you not know you are putting the wrong ammo in your mags. I never said anything mean but smiled and walked away. They shot for about an hour later without problems.

Lets hear some of your stories.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Took my 7 year old out to shoot the AR for the first time. He shot my Spike's 14.5" middie with a red dot. No magnification. Steadied on a steel plate at 100 yards and popped it on his first shot. Looked up after the reassuring plink and yelled "I HIT IT!!!!" He was stoked. Everyone in the bay was all smiles.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
An old " Fudd " comes up to me while I have ear muffs on & am loading mags--Fudd sticks a single shot shotgun--with a closed breech--in my face. As I duck & push it away, he asks-- can you see the front sight? I think it fell off...after yelling at him I suggested he learn some gun safety & that due unsafe behavior, I wasn't going to help him.

Same Fudd files a complaint at the range--I brought 2 home-made target holders--one for 25 yards, one for 100 yards-- he didn't bring any targets or target holders & filed a complaint because I " wouldn't share range property...."

Last year, some dumbass & his female shooting partner walked down-range to practice close-draw shooting--I was maybe 10 yards away on the shooting line--shooting an AR when I saw the 2 of them walk down range. When I tried to correct them & explain WHY this was unsafe & could be grounds for expulsion--he asked me if I "are THAT bad a shot" that they have to worry....

Amazing!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
This guy shows up at range. He was stupid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I must be lucky because despite the 187000 threads posted on range horror stories I don't have any.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Couple years ago I took my buddy shooting pistols at a local indoor range in Kansas. The female of the couple in the range next to us was shooting a subcompact Sig I think, and was gripping in a way that slide bite was inevitable. While my buddy was shooting on our lane, I started talking to her husband, found out they were new shooters, and offered advice on a better, safer grip. He was receptive, wife wasn't. I shrugged it off, noticing his hits were improving using a good grip. 10 minutes later they were leaving, wife got bit bad by the slide and was leaking pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I just posted it the other day, but it's worth posting again, I guess, as a cautionary tale. Several years ago,  A kid, maybe 12 or 13, pointed a loaded 10/22 at my face with his finger on the trigger right after shooting a couple rounds.  He was no more than 8 feet away and held it pointed right at my face while talking to his dad.  I juked out of the way quick.  His dad noticed what happened and snatched the rifle out of his kid's hands.  He dropped the magazine and cycled the round out of the chamber.

After a fairly direct and serious dressing-down, the guy and his kid walked over and apologized.  I didn't give them a hard time about it.  As a father myself, I felt that the guy did a great job dealing with it and I didn't want to over-react and scare the kid away from shooting.  I said something along the lines of no harm done, I'm sure you learned your lesson.  Seemed like a nice kid and was genuinely sorry.  

My takeaway was that it could happen quick, watch your neighbors at the line.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was a teenager, I watched a guy shooting a bolt rifle for the first time (found out after) ring his eye pretty bad with his scope.  I saw him put the scope right to his eye.  Not sure why.  Must have been no eye relief at all.    Pulled the trigger, whap.  Dropped the rifle on the bench and held his eye and screamed.  If memory serves, SHIT or FUCK was screamed.  I still remember the half circle of pain on his upper cheek.  He was hurting!  

I have a couple more.  They're not great stories, but they stick with you... Stupidity and gunsgo not well together.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I once had a guy at the bench next to me get busted up pretty good.  He evidently had left the ramrod in the barrel of his scoped muzzleloader, and on recoil, the scope busted his safety glasses pretty bad.   The fragments of his glasses, in turn, chewed up his eyebrow and the bridge of his nose pretty badly.  He was leaking more from inside his nose than out.  I went to the clubhouse and got him a roll of TP, and kept refilling a Gatorade bottle, to wash blood off the concrete.  My fear was that he was going to pass out from blood loss.  I know I almost passed out from his blood loss.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
did he try the forward assist
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I must be lucky because despite the 187000 threads posted on range horror stories I don't have any.
View Quote

Same here. I must have hit the jackpot with the club I belong to.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
This topic reminds me of Steyraug's tales of the FFL.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The rifle range was full one Sunday afternoon. 5 or so tables filled with people including me. A cease fire was called and we all walked out to put up new targets. Some old crusty fuck popped off a shot with his braked .300 wm when most of us were still walking back to our guns. The range owner told the guy to leave before he let the rest of us beat the shit out of him. I had a hard time hearing anything for a few days after that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Other than weirdo's and poorly educated shooters, I never had anything unsafe occur in front of me....until......

My Brother and I went to a range by my place and were shooting.  We got there and there was only one other guy there.  We do a cease fire, add our targets, the other guy changes his targets, and we commence on shooting.  We change one more time and continue shooting before some dude with his cute gf/wife roll up.  I typically have a thing that if it's getting close to time to change anyway, I'd rather cease fire and have new people add their targets while I change mine, before the new people take 15 minutes to unpack and then just decide they're ready to make everyone stop so they can go down range.  So I called out to him, checked with the original guy that was there, and we all go down to place targets.

My brother and I get back first, and we step away from the benches while we load mags and shoot the shit by our range bags.  The new guy with his chick come back shortly after and he begins fiddling around with his range bag that is pulled up right next to the bench.  I turn around to reach in my bag to grab more ammo and start loading with my back to the new guy and girl.  I turn around and simultaneously hear the click of him hitting the bolt release on his AR.  He's sitting at the bench, rifle ready, and just chambered a round on a full mag......with the original guy still down range setting up targets.  My brother and I both scream in panic, and he jumps off of the stool in embarrassment.  He then has the nerve to turn around to his SO and say something to the effect, "Why didn't you say anything!?"  

He only shot 2 mags, never let her shoot, and left.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Once while I was assigned to the pentagon tour program the weirdest posting possible for a 11b or at least one of the weirdest I took some coworkers shooting one weekend. I brought a MSAR stg 556 with a eotech 512 on top pretty easy to operate I'd get it ready to run all they had to do was shoulder aim turn off safety and fire. Well one of the chair force guys I brought our nickname for him was the doc not because he was smart but because no matter what subject he always claimed to be a expert. From why the hell is there a cherry picker in the pentagon today "Oh I'm licensed to drive those." to talking about a canoeing camping trip that me, the marines, and coastie guide were planning "I carved a dug out cannoe in high school it's still there mounted from the roof cause it was awesome." and he even claimed to have a doctorate once when he didn't even have an associates.

So its geniuses turn to shoot it. I explain how it works put the red circle on the target that dot in the center is where the round will go. Doc shoulders looks like he is aiming, pop pop pop. A flourescent bulb a few lanes to our left way back towards the end of the bay shatters and falls to the floor. I stop him because im 99% sure it was him. I ask him what hes aiming at, "Oh I couldn't see the circle and dot so I just pointed down range and started shooting." No more pew pew for him, and military small arms training alone no longer qualifies for people to use my toys.

On another trip I learned some of my fellow 11b's also sucked. Guy bought a saiga .308 and a glock 21sf and had developed a horrible flinch / anticipatory recoil instinct from not having much firearms experience before demanding "man cartridges". Shooting his guns better than him was fun but dumbass part came when I had 3 rounds of 38 special left and asked him if he wanted to try my LCR. I told him it would kick and only 3 chambers were full. He aims making a huge show of tensing up, click, his arm flies back and he is pointing up like it was a 44 mag, alas it was just an empty chamber. He does it again for the second empty chamber then 3 more times more severly for the rounds yielding a craptastical group. He never lived that down we reminded him of that incident when he talked out his ass after that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw a guy doing the same thing except that guy was lucky he couldn't get another round to load because he had a squib in the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:59:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work at a range so I see a lot the normal guys dont.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#18]
While in the academy, we were going through slow fire at 15 yards, about midway through my magazine I hear a "PLATT" out of the guys gun next to me. I instantly holster my gun and yell "CEASE FIRE" and grab his gun and tell him NOT to pull the trigger. The RO runs over asking what's the deal, told him I think he just fired a squib, as that didn't sound at all right, and my fellow trainee at that point said the gun barely recoiled at all. RO cleared the gun and looks down the barrel, sure enough... I'm not sure I'd want to see what happens to a P2000 .40 with a squib 1" down the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While in the academy, we were going through slow fire at 15 yards, about midway through my magazine I hear a "PLATT" out of the guys gun next to me. I instantly holster my gun and yell "CEASE FIRE" and grab his gun and tell him NOT to pull the trigger. The RO runs over asking what's the deal, told him I think he just fired a squib, as that didn't sound at all right, and my fellow trainee at that point said the gun barely recoiled at all. RO cleared the gun and looks down the barrel, sure enough... I'm not sure I'd want to see what happens to a P2000 .40 with a squib 1" down the barrel.
View Quote

good on you. I am so paranoid about getting a squib while shooting..... Almost makes me want to keep my nice ARs as safe queens and never shoot them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top