Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2013 7:33:58 AM EDT
Just want gds take on the situation

I have been working above my job level for almost two years in the hopes it would pay off with a promotion.
My boss tells me he loves my work and he treats me like I'm "in the circle" but the fact remains I'm at the bottom.
This has come to a sort of head with the bosses demanding more and more from me(again outside my job description) but the dangling carrot being moved even farther.
The other day I overheard someone talking about my work to my boss, they said with all my hard work I was a shoe in for the promotion. My boss told them it might happen if my attitude was good with all of the new demands. My attitude has never been a problem and I've only hinted that I would gladly continue with this extra work if it was taking me somewhere.

Am I worried about nothing or should I be looking to get screwed?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Need moar info.

What is your current title? What work are you currently being asked to do? What is your current compensation?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds g2g to me
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Being in upper management, I would suggest you talk to him about it.  I like strong performers to help me understand what they want because I want to keep em hppy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Bite the pillow, Jonny Boy! Your boss is goin' in dry!!!

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need moar info.

What is your current title? What work are you currently being asked to do? What is your current compensation?
View Quote

I'm a level 1
Asked to do work in level 3 full time and nights and weekends( no one does this exempt me)

I make about half of level 3

I would be happy with level 2
Ecstatic with level 3
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]
We used to have a boss like that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]

That's about right.

Oh and that is a reverse thread screw.  That guy is really screwed.    

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm a level 1
Asked to do work in level 3 full time and nights and weekends( no one does this exempt me)

Ecstatic with level 3
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need moar info.

I'm a level 1

Ecstatic with level 3

IT?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]
They moved the goalposts, which in my opinion, is complete and utter bullshit.

It sounds very similar to my company... The only way to get a reliable pay raise is the change job titles by applying in other departments (may not be an option with your situation), or leave the company altogether (which is a very popular option, especially with our Dev staff).
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Sit down with boss and ask for a documented career path plan with objective achievable goals that, when achieved, will result in your promotion.

Make the case you are already doing level 3 work. When promoting, a person must be performing at or above the level to which they are being promoted, prior to promoting them to that level.

If that does not happen, time to move on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with JazzFan that you should talk to your boss.  Let him know that you want to help the company succeed and have a desire to move up.  If he won't help a good employee further his career and especially if you get passed over for a promotion again then unfortunately it's probably time to look for a job elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]
You're doing level 3 work for level 1 pay. Why the hell would they promote you?

I understand proving your worth and earning a promotion but sounds like they are going to continue to dangle the proverbial carrot in front of you as long as they can.

Go watch the movie "Terrible Bosses" and you will see what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#14]
If the job assignments are something that the company has documented are at an higher pay scale, you need to dig up those documents and politely hand them to your boss/supervisor and have a chat about being paid at the company recommended pay scale. If he blows you off, there is nothing wrong with then going above him and asking his boss.

He's probably pulling bonuses for keeping his payroll down but he should be following company procedures when it comes to compensation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Making yourself too irreplaceable in your current position can find you in the corporate version of the "friend zone".

Fuck that.  Lay it out for them, be prepared to promote yourself to another company that can afford your talent (if you haven't already).
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool OP's Job is just like the Army

ask for an interview tell them how you feel, if they don't feel the same way bug out find someone that deserves you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IT?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need moar info.

I'm a level 1

Ecstatic with level 3

IT?

It's public sector and is rather not say exactly
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Consider we're in a depression.  Unlike many other Americans, you're employed.

Don't walk out.  Instead, sit down and discuss your action plan for your future with your boss.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If the job assignments are something that the company has documented are at an higher pay scale, you need to dig up those documents and politely hand them to your boss/supervisor and have a chat about being paid at the company recommended pay scale. If he blows you off, there is nothing wrong with then going above him and asking his boss.

He's probably pulling bonuses for keeping his payroll down but he should be following company procedures when it comes to compensation.
View Quote

The jobs are very distinct on paper but overlap in the real world. Mine just overlaps noticeably farther.
Documents and unions and bypassing my boss seem like going on the offensive, which will be seen as dis-loyalty to my boss, I'm sure of that.
We are union but without any love. You have to understand the environment, level 3 people are union, bad mouth the union and play golf with management.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice avatar choice, very fitting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Build a resume and interview elsewhere. Let the market determine your worth. If you get offers, then you have leverage.

Talk to your boss with leverage. Tell him that you like your job(if you do), but are under compensated. Be firm and confident. Aim high and be ready to compromise so he feels like he's made a deal. If you can't meet on level ground, then prepare to move on.

You find your value pretty easily this way. Remember that no matter how good you are, you are replaceable.

I've been down this road. Eventually I worked myself into a position where I was overpaid. That can be very tough, too. Now your options are very limited if the boss puts pressure on you. You cannot leave, you cannot under perform.  I ended up leaving for two years and being rehired for $20k/yr less. I'm actually ok with it. Picked up a lot of knowlegde along the way and was able to reset expectations for my boss and myself. Now I'm just looking to get caught up with new tech before moving out on my own.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Were these the guys talking about your performance?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Build a resume and interview elsewhere. Let the market determine your worth. If you get offers, then you have leverage.

Talk to your boss with leverage. Tell him that you like your job(if you do), but are under compensated. Be firm and confident. Aim high and be ready to compromise so he feels like he's made a deal. If you can't meet on level ground, then prepare to move on.

You find your value pretty easily this way. Remember that no matter how good you are, you are replaceable.

I've been down this road. Eventually I worked myself into a position where I was overpaid. That can be very tough, too. Now your options are very limited if the boss puts pressure on you. You cannot leave, you cannot under perform.  I ended up leaving for two years and being rehired for $20k/yr less. I'm actually ok with it. Picked up a lot of knowlegde along the way and was able to reset expectations for my boss and myself. Now I'm just looking to get caught up with new tech before moving out on my own.
View Quote

This is what you need to do.  (The strikethrough portion doesn't sound like it's applicable, but it is worthwhile information for the future.)  Don't argue, don't think there's any loyalty from the top down.  Put yourself in a position of strength and give your boss a choice to make that has only two outcomes: pay you what you should be getting for what you're doing or lose you to another company that will.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Need moar info.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I recently fired my crappy boss.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
This is why I don't over achieve.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
My boss told mre to stop asking for a raise.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Show up late constantly while smelling like a bar, abuse sick time, kiss the bosses ass and you will move up in no time. Hard work is for suckas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top