Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 3:51:57 PM EDT
I posted in the cooking section recently asking whether Le Creuset pans/pots were worth the investment. I've been on the fence on the purchase for a while because I already have a large CI pan collection and wanted to make sure scratching the itch to go enameled would be worth the money.

3 words: I am sold.

My first venture into making use of my 7.25qt dutch oven and 3qt 2-1 was Beef Short Ribs, braised in a wine sauce with buttered egg noodles and sauteed mushrooms.

Here, chopped onions begin to under go the caramelizing process in piping hot olive oil. A cup of sugar is added at the first hint of browning.

As the onions caramelize, chopped carrots are added to the mixture as well, meanwhile, mushrooms are heated on very high heat in oil. Once browned, the shrooms are seasoned with salt and pepper, and the pan deglazed with white wine. Once the white wine is evaporated, the mushrooms are transferred to a small saucepot to simmer in butter until the meal is ready to serve.

Once the vegetables are well taken care of, the short ribs (having been left to obtain room temperature for about an hour) are seasoned with salt and pepper, then coated with flour and the excess is shaken off. The ribs are browned on all sides in the dutch oven at very high temperature. The ribs are then removed and set aside while some raw onions are added to the pot to brown with the fond from the short ribs.

The short ribs are added back to the oven and wine is added to deglaze the pan and build the sauce/gravy as it cooks.

Next, a large can of whole plum tomatoes has been pureed and added with juices to the pot, bay leaves and the caramelized onion/carrot mixture is scattered throughout the pot.

Now, the pot is placed in a 350 degree oven for 3 hours.

12 minutes before being finished, egg noodles are prepared and finished with butter. A gremolata is made of parsley, lemon zest and garlic. for garnish.

The results of this labor:

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd eat the hell of that

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, a perfect way to end these miserable cold NE days.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn. I am actually salivating here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
0/10. Sorry OP, couldn't get past that you are not cooking on a gas stove. Cooking on electric is akin to camping Brady bunch style.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn. I am actually salivating here.
View Quote

My two year old cleaned his plate to the "thomas the train" images
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
0/10. Sorry OP, couldn't get past that you are not cooking on a gas stove. Cooking on electric is akin to camping Brady bunch style.
View Quote

While I agree, gas is not an option on my street. and being as I own my home outright and have no intention of accumulating debt to change my heat source, it'll have to do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just no, go away.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While I agree, gas is not an option on my street. and being as I own my home outright and have no intention of accumulating debt to change my heat source, it'll have to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

10/10. Food looks like sex with twins.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
9/10

Nasty assed toe jam fungus was inadvertently placed on plate.

Non food fungus items sterilized by heat should be placed directly in the trash.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
9/10

Non food fungus items sterilized by heat should be placed directly in the trash.

View Quote

wut?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Food is touching 0/10
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
9/10

View Quote

You are going to hell.  And it will be Engish cooks from England that serve you
from the Mellow Mushroom menu.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#14]
OP....please ignore the unwashed among us.....dinner looks damn good
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you!  My next cook will be a pot roast. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Food is touching 0/10
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
10 out of fucking 10
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!

I finally opened up the package and tried my creuset for making chili. It's a great piece of cookware.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice!

I finally opened up the package and tried my creuset for making chili. It's a great piece of cookware.
View Quote

In completely blown away by the ease at which these pans are to use from start to finish.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I <3 Le Crueset
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In completely blown away by the ease at which these pans are to use from start to finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

People kept praising them, and I figured it was just another case of "I love my expensive cookware because it's hip." I was way, way wrong.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#22]

My wife usually buys me Le Creuset for X-mas.  Love cooking in it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent cookery.  We have 4 of them in different sizes and configs.  We use them for everything from Bolognese to Carnitas.

TJ Maxx has had a lot if them for good prices.  Some of them were as low as $145

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I posted in the cooking section recently asking whether Le Creuset pans/pots were worth the investment. I've been on the fence on the purchase for a while because I already have a large CI pan collection and wanted to make sure scratching the itch to go enameled would be worth the money.

My first venture into making use of my 7.25qt dutch oven and 3qt 2-1 was Beef Short Ribs, braised in a wine sauce with buttered egg noodles and sauteed mushrooms.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/11359965945_a72e4069c3_c.jpg

Here, chopped onions begin to under go the caramelizing process in piping hot olive oil. A cup of sugar is added at the first hint of browning.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5496/11360014726_eec6270214_c.jpg

As the onions caramelize, chopped carrots are added to the mixture as well, meanwhile, mushrooms are heated on very high heat in oil. Once browned, the shrooms are seasoned with salt and pepper, and the pan deglazed with white wine. Once the white wine is evaporated, the mushrooms are transferred to a small saucepot to simmer in butter until the meal is ready to serve.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/11359965905_65521a8fe0_c.jpg

Once the vegetables are well taken care of, the short ribs (having been left to obtain room temperature for about an hour) are seasoned with salt and pepper, then coated with flour and the excess is shaken off. The ribs are browned on all sides in the dutch oven at very high temperature. The ribs are then removed and set aside while some raw onions are added to the pot to brown with the fond from the short ribs.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/11360049714_d531b74723_c.jpg

The short ribs are added back to the oven and wine is added to deglaze the pan and build the sauce/gravy as it cooks.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/11359965815_b3180141a0_c.jpg

Next, a large can of whole plum tomatoes has been pureed and added with juices to the pot, bay leaves and the caramelized onion/carrot mixture is scattered throughout the pot.

12 minutes before being finished, egg noodles are prepared and finished with butter. A gremolata is made of parsley, lemon zest and garlic. for garnish.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3692/11359965735_c3e0639246_c.jpg

View Quote
Wipe the border of that plate, chef.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Le Creuset is the shit. As a guy, I should be nowhere as excited about cookware, but I just braised some boneless short ribs in port myself a few days ago. Yum!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/11359965945_a72e4069c3_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5496/11360014726_eec6270214_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/11359965905_65521a8fe0_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/11360049714_d531b74723_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/11359965815_b3180141a0_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3692/11359965735_c3e0639246_c.jpg

I'll yield that job to my expo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn nice work.  Gotta have the right tools for the job, and Crueset is some of the best (but very pricey).  I'm a sucka for Emile Henry cookware/bakeware.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Keep you eye on Amazon .  They have deals every now and then on Le Creuset.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks great, i'll eat it.

8/10

You're missing pistol, long arms, reloads.

If you would have thrown in a stapler and measuring device, I would have pushed it another point for the nod to the old school crowd.

I can't cook on an electric stove but that's me.  You did good young man.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Just wanted to thank the OP, I made that last night and it was great.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#31]
a full cup of sugar?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I just picked up some short ribs...nice write up...I would marry you but no penetration, OK?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just picked up some short ribs...nice write up...I would marry you but no penetration, OK?
View Quote

Haha quote of the quarter
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for the pot roast.
10/10
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
a full cup of sugar?
View Quote

I should disclose that the "cup" I used was a small glass dish, probably about an actual 1/3 cup capacity of sugar. I rarely measure with measuring devices.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just wanted to thank the OP, I made that last night and it was great.

View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

10/10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10/10

The pot roast never came to fruition as my local grocer didn't have a slab to fit within a certain weight that I was looking for.  A cassoulet is in the oven now, but damnit all I forgot to take photos.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#38]
nice job OP.

I just put "make braised short ribs" on my at home from school Christmas to do list
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your bunghole should thank me, there's a reason my country star nickname would be Girth Brooks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top