Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 2:52:08 PM EDT
Subject pretty much says it all.  Like to keep it around $1000 or less, willing to stretch a bit more if significantly higher quality.  Also, besides the machine itself, what are good stores to go browse in to look and try them out?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you have one that konked out?

Otherwise if you are like 99% of folks buying these home machines, you'll be hanging laundry on it by year's end.

Gym membership is cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Find one used, friends or Craigslist. Nice exercise equipment can be found used since people buy it then never touch it again. I got one from a coworker for $75 that originally cost over $300, never used it, then sold it for $100.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you have one that konked out?

Otherwise if you are like 99% of folks buying these home machines, you'll be hanging laundry on it by year's end.

Gym membership is cheaper.

View Quote

Try three months.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't buy the Gold's Gym branded ones at Walmart, I spend as much time working on it as I do using it. It's ironic to post about an elliptical because I just got finished re welding the foot bar today after the shit factory spot weld broke.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Find one used, friends or Craigslist. Nice exercise equipment can be found used since people buy it then never touch it again. I got one from a coworker for $75 that originally cost over $300, never used it, then sold it for $100.

View Quote

Pretty much this.

We had one...then someone gave us a better one when he moved (sold the old one on Craigslist for $50)....

At least that way you're spending $50 to $100 on the Clothes Rack...instead of full retail...

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to sell commercial and home equipment.  Anything you buy at a regular retailer, Walmart, Sears, etc  is junk.  To get a quality home treadmill, elliptical etc  will run you about 2 grand.  Now local gyms will sell off their used commercial equipment from time to time.  This is a better deal.  Most home stuff will not get used so they don't have to be built to last.  Local gym here is selling off their Life Fitness ones to get a new ones, I probably going to snag one of those.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to sell commercial and home equipment.  Anything you buy at a regular retailer, Walmart, Sears, etc  is junk.  To get a quality home treadmill, elliptical etc  will run you about 2 grand.  Now local gyms will sell off their used commercial equipment from time to time.  This is a better deal.  Most home stuff will not get used so they don't have to be built to last.  Local gym here is selling off their Life Fitness ones to get a new ones, I probably going to snag one of those.
View Quote

Thats my concern, the home stuff is junk.  So to pick up a used commerical one should I just call around to gyms? or is there some website where they list them?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one for sale.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thats my concern, the home stuff is junk.  So to pick up a used commerical one should I just call around to gyms? or is there some website where they list them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have tried "at home" quality ellipticals and IMO you get what you pay for.  My folks bought a Precor brand about 12 years ago.  Still works great and it's gym quality.  Want to say they paid under 2k for it new.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Get what they use at Planet Fitness. If it can survive the whales that go there, it will survive your family no problem.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Precor originally had patent on the elliptical movement.  So it felt smoother and every other manufacturer worked around it.  Precor should be still be good quality in a home model.  There should be some other manufacturers.  Check with local fitness stores.  Just avoid big retailers.  Also try them out and see what movements fell best for you or your wife.  

The quality names back in the day were:

Precor
Cybex
Life Fitness
Landice

Avoid:

Proform
Nordic Track
things in the 499 to 799 range

If you re near a big city you may have a dealer that will specialize in refurbished commercial equipment.  This is generally a good way to go, just make sure they throw in the service contract with the deal.  One thing to also remember, ellipticals don't have a motor that wears out like a treadmill. Ellipticals don't get pounded on the way treadmills do.  The biggest problem with any of them will be in the electronics if something does occur.  Elipticals that use magnetic resistance are even better as they don't have any real friction wear in that mechanism.

Precor is the best in my opinion, but you will likely pay a premium for them.

The Precor EFX 5.21 and 5.23 are the home models with the original motion patent.  There maybe more by now though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Precor originally had patent on the elliptical movement.  So it felt smoother and every other manufacturer worked around it.  Precor should be still be good quality in a home model.  There should be some other manufacturers.  Check with local fitness stores.  Just avoid big retailers.  Also try them out and see what movements fell best for you or your wife.  

Precor
Cybex
Life Fitness
Landice

Avoid:

Proform
Nordic Track

If you re near a big city you may have a dealer that will specialize in refurbished commercial equipment.  This is generally a good way to go, just make sure they throw in the service contract with the deal.  One thing to also remember, ellipticals don't have a motor that wears out like a treadmill. Ellipticals don't get pounded on the way treadmills do.  The biggest problem with any of them will be in the electronics if something does occur.  Elipticals that use magnetic resistance are even better as they don't have any real friction wear in that mechanism.

View Quote

I have used lots of different brands at the gym and this is good advice.  To me, the Life Fitness and Cybex have an unnatural movement compared to Precor.  But like you said, you pay for the quality brand.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have used lots of different brands at the gym and this is good advice.  To me, the Life Fitness and Cybex have an unnatural movement compared to Precor.  But like you said, you pay for the quality brand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precor
Cybex
Life Fitness
Landice

Avoid:

Proform
Nordic Track

Yes, back in the day we were the only store in Atlanta to carry Precor home models.  The other companies had to work around movement  patent.  There was no competition from other stores, since we were the dealers.  Women would bring their husband in and it was 2K sale.  There was no price shopping, no haggling.  Just adding up my commission.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, back in the day we were the only store in Atlanta to carry Precor home models.  The other companies had to work around movement  patent.  There was no competition from other stores, since we were the dealers.  Women would bring their husband in and it was 2K sale.  There was no price shopping, no haggling.  Just adding up my commission.
View Quote

The one my folks have doesn't have the arms that swing, just static handles.  Also, it doesn't have adjustable elevation, it's a set elevation but obviously you can adjust resistance.  Are those models much cheaper than the ones with moving arms/handles and adjustable elevation?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up our commercial Precor elliptical machine from a gym that was bankrupt for a few hundred.  Shipping it to our home cost me almost as much as the machine itself.  10 years later we have put thousands of miles on it with no major issues other than routine cleaning and lubrication.  A "home gym" machine would have conked out years ago.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
We got ours at Sams Club for $499. Works fine so far and we've had it for over a year.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Where in Ohio are you?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#18]
You can have the one my wife insisted we take from her mother. It's been in my garage for 6 months and she hasn't been on it in 5 months.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I would wait to buy one used around the first of February.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#21]
stay away from Horizon.  Mine clunks, pops, squeaks and is suppose to the the "upgraded" model too.  It does have a semi nice console for a home machine.

I had knee surgery a long time ago and had most cartlidge removed and even an elliptical pisses of my knee.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a pro-form a couple years ago on craigslist for $75 and it works great, has gotten a lot of use and it's not showing any signs of wear yet.

As I recall the model we got was like $499 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 earlier this year my wife was wanting an elliptical and we found a barely used one on craigslist for $400
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait a few months and buy one cheap.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Craigslist, moving sales.

I have a $1800 gym bike I got for $300, and this:

$99, someone moving just needed to move it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where in Ohio are you?
View Quote

Loveland, 45140.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top