Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2013 2:05:26 PM EDT
I posted this on another board and received very limited replies.

Here is what I know:  

Pistols can be converted to rifles and then back to pistols.  

Obviously, 922r and all legalities of what makes up a rifle applies.  Let's not get into this as it's very well-known.  

One of the reasons I bring this up is because of the M92s being offered having already been converted into rifles.  When these are transferred through a dealer, I am assuming that they are transferred as rifles and can then NOT be converted back to their pistol form.  Am I correct on this?

Now, let's say I buy a M92 and convert it to a rifle.  

How is it transferred if I ever decide to sell it?  

Can I sell it FTF as a rifle if my state allows rifles to be sold FTF?  

Does it need to converted back to a pistol before transfer if I ever decide to sell it?  

Can it be shipped as a rifle when in rifle form or does it need to be treated like a pistol when shipping even when in rifle configuration?  I ask this because individuals can not ship pistols USPS, but licensed individuals can.  

I would like to hear what some of you guys know.  

I am looking for firm information, not speculation.  So, if you could back your post/information up with links or ATF letters, that would be preferred.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You are making things to complicated

The firearm can only be one at a time
It is what it is, when it is

Unless it's an aids cannon
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are making things to complicated

The firearm can only be one at a time
It is what it is, when it is

Unless it's an aids cannon
View Quote

I'm not complicating anything.  The only thing that I may be over-thinking is the shipping issue. If you think I am complicating things, you probably haven't put much thought into my questions or the potential answers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Once a pistol has been turned into a rifle isnt it ALWAYS a rifle?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's sold as a rifle, I can guarantee you the ATF will jail the buyer for turning it back into a pistol, jail the seller selling it as a rifle, or both.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

As I understand it if a legal pistol is converted into a legal rifle you can go back to pistol-IF the stock is never installed while the short barrel is on the receiver. T/C Contenders and AR pistols are the most common examples. Got a pistol? Put a long barrel on it then put a stock on it. Rifle for your rifle shooting activities. Now take the barrel and stock off, install pistol grip and short barrel and you're back to legal pistol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I posted this on another board and received very limited replies.

Here is what I know:  

Pistols can be converted to rifles and then back to pistols.  

Obviously, 922r and all legalities of what makes up a rifle applies.  Let's not get into this as it's very well-known.  

One of the reasons I bring this up is because of the M92s being offered having already been converted into rifles.  When these are transferred through a dealer, I am assuming that they are transferred as rifles and can then NOT be converted back to their pistol form.  Am I correct on this?
Can you prove it was originally a pistol on its current reciever?

Now, let's say I buy a M92 and convert it to a rifle.  

How is it transferred if I ever decide to sell it?  
The configuration it currently is. Yes, you could sell it as either

Can I sell it FTF as a rifle if my state allows rifles to be sold FTF?  
If it's configured as a rifle at the time of sale

Does it need to converted back to a pistol before transfer if I ever decide to sell it?  
If you want to sell it as a pistol

Can it be shipped as a rifle when in rifle form or does it need to be treated like a pistol when shipping even when in rifle configuration?  I ask this because individuals can not ship pistols USPS, but licensed individuals can.  
What it is configured as at the time is how it's treated

I would like to hear what some of you guys know.  

I am looking for firm information, not speculation.  So, if you could back your post/information up with links or ATF letters, that would be preferred.  
This is GD.

View Quote

My first post said the same thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top