Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 2:03:11 PM EDT
I was just looking at tools on the Lowes website and noticed the Porter Cable 20v offerings. Compared to the Dewalt stuff the price is way lower.

I have about 1000 bucks worth of Dewalt tools and 18v batteries that I use for work, but I am rough on them. I honestly can't believe my sawzall still works after the amount of times it has been soaking wet or buried in the mud.

Anyway, from the looks of it I could sell all my Dewalt stuff and be able to tool up with twice as much Porter Cable stuff that is 20v. I could have more tools for more guys at a better price.

I honestly have no idea of the quality of the stuff though, anyone have any first hand experience? My tools don't see homeowner detail either. I might recharge and use my whole battery bank 2 or 3 times in one day with the tools working the whole time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking to retool I'd look at Bosch or Milwaukee. The older Dewalt 18v was pretty good when it first came out but they can't hold a candle to the new Lithium Ion offerings. Milwaukee red lithium and FUEL is simply amazing. Bosch is tough as nails, has a no questions asked policy if something breaks and a 3 year warranty. If you enroll into the Bosch Provantage program they will overnight new tools to you if something breaks.

Porter Cable? I gave some of the 18v stuff a try, for the same reasons as you mentioned. The drill was decent but really freaking big and heavy. The rest of the tools sucked. Their flashlights are about as bright as a mini-mag with half dead batteries, the recip saw was worthless for anything more than PVC pipe. The circular saw was junk, you could cut about 5 studs on a battery.

I've used a bit of it all. A couple years ago I picked up a Bosch 18v drill to use in my shop. It quickly replaced the drill on my truck and I brought the old Dewalt to my shop. Today I've ebayed all my Dewalt 18v and retooled with Bosch.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, they suck.

I bought a set last year and the batteries really do not hold a charge very well.

They are heavy, and do not last long on one charge.

I just bought a Dewalt set of 18 volt from Lowes for 199 on black friday and they work better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not a fan of these 20v or even the 18 lithium thin batterys....

I use Rigid, the thin batt. don't hold a charge long either.

The old Porta's, Rigid and DeWalt stuff, with the thick heavy batt.
still seem to be the best in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not a fan of these 20v or even the 18 lithium thin batterys....

I use Rigid, the thin batt. don't hold a charge long either.

The old Porta's, Rigid and DeWalt stuff, with the thick heavy batt.
still seem to be the best in my opinion.
View Quote

I have both for my dewalts and hands down the NiCad batteries outperform the Li ion ones, but they weigh about 3x more.

I will only use the NiCads  with the sawzall or grinder, the other ones just don't seem to have the same amount of ass to them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Porter Cable, Dewalt - both made by Black and Decker.  PC used to be great (like many others), but I agree with the poster above: Bosch, Milwaulkee, and Makita.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a PC set, but I just use them around the house and to build the occasional project/coop/shed, etc.

If I were going to get something for serious work, I'd go with the above recommendations.  I like DeWalt, but it is pricey for me since I don't use it regularly .   I just looked at the battery sets yesterday and some of them are very nice.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top