Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 9:17:47 AM EDT
whats the reason these are used on a m4 and not a a1-a2 setup?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Really only affects full-auto carbines as far as I know.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to Google and search this:  "site:ar15.com m4 feed ramps"  You will find a lot of information.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Shortening the gas tube creates a higher impulse on the bolt carrier, which increased the rate of fire by something like 15-20%.

The increased rate of fire saw higher carrier movement speeds, which had a tendency to misfeed every so often.  They made a few cuts to the feed ramps, and it fixed it.

It sorta matters in a semi, since you still have the same carrier movement speeds.  But it's an issue of one malfunction in like 2,000 rounds or something.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought it had a lot to do with using longer rounds like tracers?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No I believe that is where the 1/7 twist rate came from.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I was thinking of frangible ammo too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shortening the gas tube creates a higher impulse on the bolt carrier, which increased the rate of fire by something like 15-20%.

The increased rate of fire saw higher carrier movement speeds, which had a tendency to misfeed every so often.  They made a few cuts to the feed ramps, and it fixed it.

It sorta matters in a semi, since you still have the same carrier movement speeds.  But it's an issue of one malfunction in like 2,000 rounds or something.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top