Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2013 6:34:25 AM EDT
I finally bought smart phones for me and my wife.  Galaxy S3s.  I need to up-armor them because my wife is clutzy and we have a 17 month old boy.  My wife's needs the ultimate in protection; I need something that I can still slide in my pocket.  I'm leaning towards an Otterbox for the wife, and the Magul or UAG for me.  Opinions?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Lifeproof
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the Magpul on my iPhone 4S since the day I bought it. Carried for almost two years with no issues. Bought one for my new 5s also. I've had Otterbox cases, but while they protect like a tank, they are too big and bulky for me.  Then again I'm fairly careful with my stuff. I don't drop them often.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
no experience with the other two, but as stated above, Otterboxes are bombproof but big and bulky. had one for a while, but then went back to no cover, which fits easily in and out of my front pocket
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
LifeProof
Eta: oilfield worker and have a clumsy wife and two rambunctious daughters (5and2). LifeProof for iPhone is better but the S3 case has saved my S3 in invert, snow, saltwater, and bathtime.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Lifeproof for my I5.  Great case, but i couldn't live with it.  OD green Magpul now, simple, easy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#6]
otterbox on my S3 since new and still holding up great and does the job.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like Otterbox Defender is best choice for you.  I use one for my iPhone 5.  Have an Urban Armor Gear, Magpul, Rokform for it also but always go back to the Otterbox as I am pretty rough with the phone and drop it constantly.

Otterbox is bulky but once I got used to it, I don't really notice it anymore.

Patrick
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Uraban Armor Gear for both.  I have one on my Galaxy S3, and my colleague replaced his Otterbox for his S3 with a UAG case as well.

I've dropped my phone on the concrete floor in the garage and not a mark on it. Still slides in and out of pocket without issue.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a new 5s. bought the life proof case. the screen protector thing is one big bubble. I can live with it but its annoying as hell. Texting is a pain cause the screen protector is not flat at all. Ill get around to emailing them to see if its just mine or whatever. Tried all their fixes on the web site with no luck. Had a magpul case and loved it on my iPhone 4
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably want the Otter box, however I have a magpul case on my iphone5 and just the other day dropped it through some stairs as I was going up to my apartment. The phone fell a good 10+ feet and landed on concrete. Phone was fine with no damage.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Otterbox Defender. I take it apart to clean every so often and the phone looks like new.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Ditched my otter box for magpul on my last two iPhones. Love them both but the otter is just too bulky
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#13]
When I had an iPhone, I had the Magpul field case for it. Slips in and out of the pocket easily. Got a pink case for the wifes iPhone 4s and she loves it.
I have a Droid RazrMaxx, no case for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Get your wife a Lifeproof waterproof case.

Little boys are funny. If mom spends too much time on the phone, the phone quickly finds itself in the toilet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Question about the Otterbox Defender- Can it be used without the beltclip holster?  If not using the beltclip, is the Cummuter a better choice?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lifeproof
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I doubt the case has done anything but I beat the shit out of my iphone. Repeated drops on concrete, asphalt, from a ladder , from a bike, etc. This thing is a champ!

magpul fde with a screen protector

At the beach

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Uraban Armor Gear for both.  I have one on my Galaxy S3, and my colleague replaced his Otterbox for his S3 with a UAG case as well.

I've dropped my phone on the concrete floor in the garage and not a mark on it. Still slides in and out of pocket without issue.
View Quote

I had a cheap two piece plastic cover on my Droid-X when it went for a ride on the hood of my truck going 40+ mph on a paved road.  It fell off and only had some small scratches.  I think most phone are tougher than we think as long as liquid is not involved.

A lifeproof case is damn tough
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an Urban Armor Gear case and it kicks serious ass. I'm glad Magpul has finally decided to start making Galaxy S3 and S4 cases, but they are just shells. They don't have the composite construction with the softer rubber protection in certain spots like the bump case does for the iPhone 5. I'd like to get a Magpul case because I like Magpul stuff, but I know that it's going to offer inferior protection compared to what I already have.

Seriously get a UAG case. You will NOT be sorry. I have dropped my phone (Galaxy S3) many times onto hard surfaces and it's still chugging along great. My ONLY complaint is the shiny UAG billboard which I scraped out so it's just a subdued logo now.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lifeproof
View Quote

^THIS. I bought the Otterbox Defender Series case the same day I bought my iPhone 4. While it protected the phone it was bulky and the rubber outer layer made it difficult to put into and pull out of pockets. Also the rubber flap that cover the charging port fell off after about 6 months.

My wife bought me the Lifeproof case and it works great. I have dropped my phone several times without any issues and the case is waterproof. Additionally it fits better in my pocket.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Tagging for near term phone upgrade case
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#22]
i distrust the magpul.  i had iphone4, and one day i pulled it off to find the back glass shattered.  i had no idea when it happened, so it was like that for untold period of time.

the magpul looks cool, but offers no real protection IMO.  i have used otterbox commuter and have had outstanding success with note 1/2/3, galaxy nexus.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I replaced my Droid X last week (washed it in the laundry) and I got the Droid Maxx.

As part of the bundle the Maxx came with an OtterBox.

I really like the case. It's pretty stout and adds a little weight and heft to the phone (which I like).

I think you'll be pleased with the OtterBox, OP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Otter box on my iPad has survived everything. Used for work, it is outdoor in the elements quite a bit, and I've frisbee it down the driveway and it's been great.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Magpul for my 5.  It's the only money I've spent on the company phone.  But, I guess I'm kinda skewed towards Magpul just because of, well, it's Magpul.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I had an Otterbox on my old iPhone3 that I used every day on missions as an iPod in Afghanistan and that thing took a hell of a beating and just kept going. I'm sold on Otterbox for life... That said I find they are too bulky for when I'm not at war, so now I have Magpul cases on my personal iPhone5 and my work iPhone4 and have zero complaints.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lifeproof
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a Magpul case on my iPhone 5.  I like the case itself but I didn't want anything bulkier as I carry it in my front pants pocket.  I am careful with it anyway and don't need anything more protective.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I had an Otterbox for a long time, and it did the trick protecting against drops an bangs. But the rubber on the edges made it bulky and wanted to grab the insides of pants pockets. I ended up switching to Incipio offGRID battery case, and it kicks ass. Sacrificed protection for battery life and tactile aesthetics. Something else for you to look at if you don't think you'll be dropping it once a day like the wife.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/best-samsung-galaxy-s3-case-24-to-choose-from-1148322
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#30]
UAG ftw!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#31]
UAG all the way, I believe it offers the same at least the same protection as otterbox with less bulk and fits like a glove. Dropped mine many times on concrete and no problems so far. Had one on my s3 and waiting on one to be delivered for my s4. Like was mentioned earlier it has hard rubber protection on all the corners and lining the inside. Doubt I will ever buy another brand for my phones.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I have the Magpul case on my iPhone 5.  It works very well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a UAG on my Galaxy S3, but recently retrofit it for Qi charging and it won't link with the charger with the case on.

I may go and try a Magpul case when I can find one to see if it's thinner and allows the Qi charging.

No regrets on the UAG case, it works well and looks great.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I ditched the Otterbox for a Trident case for my Droid Razor Maxx.
Alittle smaller than the Otterbox but with plenty of rubber protection.
The Trident doesn't have a screen cover which is why I bought it.  I have a Zagg on the screen.  The Otterbox let a lot  of dust/dirt in between the cover and the screen.  I live in a very windy dusty area and was constantly having to take the Otterbox apart and clean the screen.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lifeproof
View Quote

This, Slim and Waterproof
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks all.  My wife was in a hurry to place the order with Amazon, so I had to decide.  I went with the Otterbox Defender for her and the UAG for me.  

The Lifeproof sounds great, but at $89, it is almost 1/2 the cost of the phone!.  Hopefully, I don't end up regretting skimping (like when her phone ends up in the toilet or bathtub courtesy of my son).
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#37]
All I've had on my iPhone 3GS, 4S, and 5 are Otterbox. I don't drop my phone. For the price I paid for it, I try to take care of it. I've dropped my iPhone 5 3 times now from waist high. Once was onto carpet, twice were on concrete. No issues with the phone.

The Otterbox is also water resistant. I left my phone sititng on the front porch while I mowed the lawn... during that, it rained. Not a heavy downpour but the phone was screen up and there was enough water on it to pool up. Removing the phone from the case showed that the Otterbox didn't really allow the rain inside. The edges of the phone were a tiny bit wet where the rain had seeped in but it was better than the phone lying uprotected on my porch... it would have been toast.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I've used Magpul case's for the last 3 years and never broken my phone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks all.  My wife was in a hurry to place the order with Amazon, so I had to decide.  I went with the Otterbox Defender for her and the UAG for me.  

The Lifeproof sounds great, but at $89, it is almost 1/2 the cost of the phone!.  Hopefully, I don't end up regretting skimping (like when her phone ends up in the toilet or bathtub courtesy of my son).
View Quote

If you buy directly from Otterbox they will give you a free dry box too, for spending > $45 plus free shipping. Tax will be applied, of course. For my Note 3 it was ~$64.20.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you buy directly from Otterbox they will give you a free dry box too, for spending > $45 plus free shipping. Tax will be applied, of course. For my Note 3 it was ~$64.20.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah- I saw that, but it was only $23 on Amazon with free shipping (prime) and I didn't want the Otterbox on mine due to the bulk.  I would have liked the dry box though...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Otterbox's quality is shit. I'd go with the UAG.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I use a Ballistic Maxx case on my Note 3.  Ditch the included seen protector and put on a Skinomi or whatever direct contact screen protector and it is GTG.

-p.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lifeproof
View Quote

thread/

dropped my iphone 5 in a river fishing and it protected it.

J-
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

thread/

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lifeproof

thread/

J-

Did anyone mention lifeproof yet? Get the nuud case.

Lifeproof>everything else

Went on vacation and took iphone videos of my kid swimming..... While I was in the pool..... Underwater....
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had 4 otterbox defenders for my two s3's.  Do not, I repeat DO NOT get an otterbox.  All 4 had the same issues.  The rubber parts fit great for about the first 3 months, then they start to pull away from the plastic liner.  This exposes the seams and allows dust into case and under the screen protector.  This will in turn scratch your screen.  People who give it high reviews (in my opinion) are the ones who have only had them for a couple weeks.  They wear out quickly and will damage your phone.  This is not a user problem as these cases were on phones for my wife and myself.  Two totally different types of user.

If you had an iPhone, I would recommend the otterbox, but the S3 stay away.  I am using the UAG now just because Amazon was having a clearance sale.  It has held up well with only the letters on the back of the case, on my phone, peel off.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#46]
UAG for me, couldn't be happier with it.

I used to have an Otterbox, but didn't like the feeling of having a brick in my pocket all day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#47]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I have the Otterbox. I think its the Defender. Its kinda blocky but I've had my iphone in it for 3 years ( today is the anniversary) and it has protected it well.

I'm a contractor so its around dust and gets banged around. I pull it out of the case occasionally and its as clean as when I put it in there 3 years ago.

I'm happy with it. The only downside is its hard to carry in your pocket due to it being blocky.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Love my Trident Case.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Going to try a Lifeproof case this time on my 5S.  Looked at the Otterbox Armor case but they do not make one for my phone yet.  Shipping from Lifeproof is s l o w.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top