Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2013 5:11:29 AM EDT
The counter top microwave my wife and I were given as a housewarming gift when we moved into our new home in 2001 finally met its maker. It's just a small-ish unit, probably cost $45-$50 new at the time. I took it into a local electronics recycling place and was quoted a "recycling" price of $40 to drop it off. Seriously? You want to charge me nearly the same cost as a new microwave just to throw out my old one? Of our appliances that have died over the decades (dishwasher, refrigerator, washer, etc.) the retailer delivering the new one always delivered and hauled away the old one for free. So I have never had to personally dispose of an appliance before. But this exorbitant fee is a tad much IMO. I'd be fine paying a minimal fee (say $5-$10), but a fee almost equivalent to the cost of the appliance itself is ridiculous.

I have no problems with recycling, and I try and do my part with plastics, glass, soda cans, etc., but charging people excessive fees to dispose of used electronics, beds, etc. is why people dump old mattresses, dressers, and TVs on the side of the road.

I would just take the damn thing to my back pasture and shoot it with a few hundred round of 5.56 until all that was left were tiny plastic particles that I could easily bag and throw in the garbage can, but I'm sure if I did that the NSA snooping on this thread would report me to the EPA who would come out and declare my property a wet-lands and then fine me ten thousand dollars for polluting my nearby pond with mercury or something.

Anyway, just ranting.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a place here that picks up anything with a cord for free. Comes to your house and picks it up. I talked to the guy, he told me they get paid really well taking them down to a big recycling join in Madison. So, that place is charging you $40, and then making more $$$ off it later.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a place here that picks up anything with a cord for free. Comes to your house and picks it up. I talked to the guy, he told me they get paid really well taking them down to a big recycling join in Madison. So, that place is charging you $40, and then making more $$$ off it later.
View Quote

Somalia sounds like a better place to live every day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't wonder why mattresses get dumped by the side of the road.
I am well aware that there are assholes out there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Never heard of such a thing.  Here we just take the used appliance to the dump and they charge nothing.  In fact, when you take the old one to the dump they usually give you a form for a energy rebate on the purchase of a new appliance from our energy co-op.  Depends on the type of appliance though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
PA just passed a law this January that says that you're not allowed to put electronic devices (computers, TVs, monitors, etc) in the trash.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Saturday morning put it out at the end of the driveway. It will be gone by noon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Place the microwave at the curb with a "For Sale" sign on it.  It will disappear magically.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#9]
craigslist free curb alert. The shit people pick up for free...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never heard of such a thing.  Here we just take the used appliance to the dump and they charge nothing.
View Quote

Wow, nice landfill then. The last landfill I went to was by our old home in Minnesota (suburbs outside Minneapolis). It was owned/operated by the company Waste Management. I had an F250 pick-up bed full of cut branches and twigs from our yard. They wanted $85 for the drop off. Their posted rates were not based on what you were bringing in but by the size of your vehicle ($50 for small vehicle, $85 for a large or commercial vehicle).
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Saturday morning put it out at the end of the driveway. It will be gone by noon.
View Quote

I live in the country on a seldom traveled rural road. Unless the deer or black bear are going to take it, I don't think it would be gone by noon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Either that or wrap it up in pretty paper and leave it in the back of our pickup parked in Northside and it will disappear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]
My trash guys will haul anything off because a few time a year I leave an 18 pack of beer in a paper bag next to the trash cans
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PA just passed a law this January that says that you're not allowed to put electronic devices (computers, TVs, monitors, etc) in the trash.

View Quote

Oops
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many people in Somalia have microwave ovens anyway?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#16]
One of the (few)great things about the city I live in is that the trash guys will literally take anything you put out.  And I mean anything.

Here, when you take things to the recycling center, they give you money, they don't charge you money.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My city trash service will pick up just about anything except uranium.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
put it at the end of the driveway, bet its gone by the end of the day
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My trash guys will haul anything off because a few time a year I leave an 18 pack of beer in a paper bag next to the trash cans
View Quote

I give mine a Christmas card with cash every year. They have taken everything I put out and my trash cans  are always put up on the side of my house instead of left by the road like everyone else.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trash disposal is becoming a problem here too.   Anything other than household trash becomes prohibitively expensive to get rid of.

So instead of paying a modest fee, people either ditch it on public land, or break things up and conceal them with the household garbage, which creates a bigger health hazzard than knowing where the shit is going in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Our town does a twice a year electronic pickup.  They contract out to some outfit that takes it and I'm sure they make money on it too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a job for tannerite
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I swear it's magic. My curb alerts are gone within 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried this trick.  I sat inside the house and watched the fuckers pick up less than half my shit and took all the damned beer.  

In the past year our county passed the "no electronics" ordnance and now requires you to take it directly to their landfill area so it can be placed in the recycling area.  So I had my son load up an old 35" CRT TV, drive it 20 miles to the landfill only to hear them say they don't take them. (Even after the website and paperwork said to bring them there)  
Damned thing fell out of the back of his truck as he was driving through the gate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you tested this? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Put it on your curb with a price tag of $5.00.
It will be gone before you know it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#28]
They wanted $20 to take an old tv. I just threw it in the recycle bin. It's your problem now!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet a quick call to the Iranians will get that picked up pretty quick -no cost to you (but might be a charge )
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I put an ad on Craigslist for a bunch of old cheap ass, broken HP fax machines. Dude was at my door in 30 minutes hauling it off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Yep, check and see if there's an e-waste drive going somewhere around anytime soon. Sometimes schools or community groups, scouts, things like that will do them they take the old appliance as a donation and get money for it from the scrapper.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#32]
The power company up here actually pays you $30-$40 for a refrigerator or freezer in my area and comes to haul it away.  When I lived in AZ twice a year they would have you put anything you didn't want at the curb and they would bring trucks and a bobcat to load the crap.

I'd put all my junk out at the curb the week of the pickup but it always disappeared within an hour.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#33]

My trash guys will haul off a body if I can get it in the can.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Best Buy will recycle it for free.

The local land fill no longer takes e waste either.  You can recycle for .40 a pound which adds up fast for old tube tv's and such.

We can't even put card board in our trash cans now thanks to California moving here
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#35]
We have bulk pickup once a month. People start putting stuff out a week ahead of time. Trash pickers drive the neighborhood everyday electronic stuff and metal don't last the day. I put a Sony 250 lb TV out and within an hour a guy with a P/U stopped and lifted it off the ground and loaded it in the bed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Do you have trash pickup?

Get some of those 5mil contractor bags from Home Depot and put it in with some other garbage.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

Either that or wrap it up in pretty paper and leave it in the back of our pickup parked in Northside and it will disappear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Don't forget to put cat turd casserole inside.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My trash guys will haul off a body if I can get it in the can.

View Quote

Wood chipper solves this and most of the other problems here. I usually just throw my dead appliances on the pile while I'm burning tires.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't wonder why mattresses get dumped by the side of the road.
I am well aware that there are assholes out there.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Recycling is a scam brought to you by our government and the EPA.  They get paid for that stuff from the government and who ever they give it to.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#41]
If it has a cord, Goodwill takes the stuff working or not.... They fill a trailer and then get paid for the weight from everyone's E trash!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#42]
my town went to a pay as you throw system 2 years ago.

Pay $55 a year and you buy specially labelled garbage bags for $1.20 each to throw away kitchen trash. Each appliance cost $10 to throw away.

Now when I hunt, the accessible woods are littered with all kinds of appliances and trash.

unintended consequences.

OP, just take a sledgehammer to the microwave and put the pieces in a garbage bag.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I know a guy who runs a recycling place.  Many items, when they take them, cost them a fair bit of money to recycle.

The reason is that first, they have to dismantle the thing to get out hazardous bits.  Then those hazardous bits have to be appropriately handled and stored, and then appropriately disposed of.  They have to pay employee labor and overhead for all of that.   Then, for everything that's left, they get essentially no money.

At one point, he was making good money recycling old CRT-based monitors, but the way prices went, he was taking a $10-$15 loss on each of them by the time he was done, and got out of it.

While recycling sounds good and dandy, in practice, it really only works for a very few materials - materials that are pretty expensive.  Most other stuff is a net loss to recycle, no matter how you slice it.   For instance, recycling glass is often a break-even or loss, and a lot of municipal recycling programs either won't take glass, or will just throw it into the garbage.

I know a libtard who is OBSESSIVE about recycling - EVERYTHING must be recycled.  Not because of the environment, but because all of the "finite resources that we're going to run out of."  I pointed out to him that by throwing things away, I was saving ALL of the resources in one, highly-concentrated location, so that if we ever ran out, we'd know EXACTLY where they all were.  When he couldn't come up with any argument to that, he got pretty upset and stormed out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Take it apart and you will find two large magnets inside, that will secure anything you want to your refrigerator, or the side of your new microwave.
Then take the remains to the scrap yard and tell the guy you just want to get rid of an old microwave and don't care about getting a check for 50 cents.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#45]
They don't haul away your old appliances for "free" it's calculated into the price of the new item/shipping.

Would rather them just not list it though?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#46]
The back of supermarkets seem to be a popular place to dump old appliances, or a wal mart.

Just sayin'

BTW, I don't have to resort to such tactics because I don't live in a communist city or state.

We just take them to the dump and toss it in with the rest of the trash.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm a terrible person, because I would just have hid it in the trash can.  Property tax pays for trash service and they are the huge cans that guy never touches.  A little bit of this, a little bit of that, toxic substance hidden in trash and away it goes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Take it apart and you will find two large magnets inside, that will secure anything you want to your refrigerator, or the side of your new microwave.
View Quote

Cool. My kids would dig those to play with.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Buy a replacement.

Save carton.

Put broken microwave in carton and seal.

Put in back of pickup, park at Walmart, check out the ammo, come back.

Voila, problem solved.

ETA: is it really dead? Last month ours stopped heating. My wife went to Sears and came back, said they were all crap. On a whim I unplugged the thing for about 10 minutes, plugged it up and it's working (for now).

worth a shot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#50]
They make double profit!

1) Off the dump fee.

2) From wholesale recycle.

Sounds like Your recycling program mirrors my local recyc program. There in name only!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top