Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 3:34:57 AM EDT
Is today the day we finally lose the MS shackles forever?  I for one will be giving it a shot when SteamOS gets released today.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]

no
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is today the day we finally lose the MS shackles forever?
View Quote

Really? You mean we had no other choice for another OS before today?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a gamer, no.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As a gamer, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a gamer, no.

That's not entirely accurate.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a gamer, no.

And it's not going to change either with Steam OS. I guess Windows does too much and needs to be more like a MAC or PS4.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As a gamer, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a gamer, no.

WINE
PlayOnLinux
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Is Windows broken or something?  I am more of the believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

What does Windows do poorly as a gaming OS that the need for a replacement has popped up?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Is Windows broken or something?  I am more of the believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

What does Windows do poorly as a gaming OS that the need for a replacement has popped up?
View Quote

No clue.  I like Windows.  At least as long as 7 is still supported, anyway.  If they can't make 9 significantly better than 8, I may look at alternatives.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems pointless.  People either want a console system or a PC and we already have that covered.  Now if it had the support of every developer out there then great but until then it's just a niche product.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Seems pointless.  People either want a console system or a PC and we already have that covered.  Now if it had the support of every developer out there then great but until then it's just a niche product.
View Quote

Steam is in a position to get support from developers, should be interesting to see how this plays out.  I'll stick with MS until it shows it is worthy though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I worship at the alter of Gaben and even I have no interest in steam os
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#14]
The reason SteamOS exists is MS took a huge step backward in Windows 8 with regard to openness. MS showed the computing world that it's willing to lock out all other software stores in Windows RT. That's a threat to Steam's future, thus Valve is adapting to the changing market.

I will be trying SteamOS after work today.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Steam is in a position to get support from developers, should be interesting to see how this plays out.  I'll stick with MS until it shows it is worthy though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Support from game developers or software developers?

I honestly don't know anything about the OS but it's going to need support for other software and peripherals before it can be a viable OS replacement.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I honestly don't know anything about the OS but it's going to need support for other software and peripherals before it can be a viable OS replacement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's basically Linux with Steam preinstalled. If the peripherals are supported in Linux, then they should work in SteamOS.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's basically Linux with Steam preinstalled. If the peripherals are supported in Linux, then they should work in SteamOS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So just another Linux distro.  In that case it might get support from gamers if they are willing to learn Linux.  People try to make it sound like it's an easy transition but for some one that doesn't want to put in some effort when stuff doesn't work right it is certainly not a simple transition.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Steam OS + controller+ Steam Machine FTW !

http://www.stuff.tv/steam-box/valve-steam-machine-preview/review

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:

GPU: some units with Nvidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660

CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3

RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)

Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD

Power supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold

Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Steam OS + controller+ Steam Machine FTW !
http://www.stuff.tv/steam-box/valve-steam-machine-preview/review

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:

GPU: some units with Nvidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660

CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3

RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)

Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD

Power supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold

Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

View Quote

Interesting concept.

I don't know anyone in person that still games on a PC and that's one reason I'll still with the Xbox since that's what all my friends use.  If that wasn't the case I wouldn't mind testing one of these out depending on price.  Given the hardware I think it will be more than I'd want to spend though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So just another Linux distro.  In that case it might get support from gamers if they are willing to learn Linux.  People try to make it sound like it's an easy transition but for some one that doesn't want to put in some effort when stuff doesn't work right it is certainly not a simple transition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More importantly, it's a specific distro of Linux that developers can write for.  Lack of standardization and DirectX-style API's have been a major hurdle for Linux game development.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
More importantly, it's a specific distro of Linux that developers can write for.  Lack of standardization and DirectX-style API's have been a major hurdle for Linux game development.
View Quote

Yeah, one of cool things about Linux (multiple distros) is also a downfall in my opinion.  There are enough differences that it makes it difficult for developers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#22]
My question is the hardware power with this.  We all know gaming PCs need a lot of upgrading to keep up with games that come out.  Are the games for the SteamOS kind of watered-down like they are on Xbox 360?  Or the full graphics?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#23]
It's a step in the right direction. With Valve's support, Linux will start to see a bigger break in the gaming market.  Supposedly Nvidia is going to be writing native drivers too, which will help immensely.

There's a long way to go but SteamOS and Valve are going to be instrumental in getting it going.

Quoted:
My question is the hardware power with this.  We all know gaming PCs need a lot of upgrading to keep up with games that come out.  Are the games for the SteamOS kind of watered-down like they are on Xbox 360?  Or the full graphics?
View Quote

For the time being, very few big ticket games run properly on the ported Linux drivers, but in due time I'd imagine that they'll get caught up.  Point being it's not SteamOS that'll be limiting the graphic potential.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#24]
After Christmas this year, I'll have 2 old laptops and a desktop that are being replaced by newer PCs.  I may dedicate one of them to Steam, and the other to LInux.  That being said, I expect neither of them to get much use.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Steambox takes real graphics cards.  However, games will have to be ported from DirectX to OpenGL or something else and that could result in performance/quality differences.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

PC's actually don't take a lot of upgrading to keep up. The current 'next gen' consoles don't even have their games running at 1080 yet. The Steam Box is a pre built slim form factor PC that comes pre installed with Steam OS which is a Linux distro made for gaming by Valve. The Steam Box is upgradable, can be built by any company that wants to, is not limited to a specific hardware spec, and can be formatted to run other OS's such as Windows. Steam OS is not limited to being installed only on pre built systems. The bottom line is that just like a PC running windows a Steam Box graphics are not watered down and it will allow you to run games at the graphical settings that you desire rather than locking you to a preset config like consoles do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

WINE
PlayOnLinux
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a gamer, no.

WINE
PlayOnLinux

Those aren't real alternatives to windows gaming.

Kinda works.  Sometimes works.  Works a little.  

That's not a substitution.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.

Windows does gaming well, and that's about all.

Since I don't use Office, gaming is the last thing keeping me chained to this piece of shit OS and company.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#29]
For one thing, Valve was able to get graphics performance out of Linux NVIDIA drivers that are quite a bit faster than what they could get on Windows, and that was without OS-specific optimizations to the game. The OS and drivers that are possible under it are just that much more conducive to it.

Which is annoying as I fucking hate linux. I am still pissed they didn't try it on Solaris X86 first.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Is Steam OS going to be an open OS even on the Valve console?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

For one thing, Valve was able to get graphics performance out of Linux NVIDIA drivers that are quite a bit faster than what they could get on Windows, and that was without OS-specific optimizations to the game. The OS and drivers that are possible under it are just that much more conducive to it.

Which is annoying as I fucking hate linux. I am still pissed they didn't try it on Solaris X86 first.
View Quote

..with implemented Dtrace tools for benchmarks and optimization- Epic !

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is Steam OS going to be an open OS even on the Valve console?
View Quote

Most of it will be OSS.  Things such as video drivers won't however.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a gamer, no.

Can you play GTA IV on a Linux box, without windows?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

Somebody mentioned WINE in an earlier post, that's only a band aide that barely works for some games.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes.

Since I don't use Office, gaming is the last thing keeping me chained to this piece of shit OS and company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Same here.

I already dual boot to Ubuntu, and have Steam installed. I rather liked the Linux experience, up until I wanted to play a game other than TF2, or console emulator, then it sucked. If SteamOS really works, I'm dumping windows, as everything I usually do on Windows is easily covered by Linux, save for gaming.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I currently run an ATI card...

This will probably get me to switch back to Nvidia (had an 8800GT once upon a time, awesome card!)
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Steam OS is more of a ladder rung to Valve's entry into the console market. They started the whole OS development thing as a facet of their Steam Box system. It will be interesting to see where it goes once the Steam Box is up and running in the marketplace.

Me? I'm happy with windows for right now. Perhaps when Steam OS has a lot of developer support and the Steam Box concept is proven and a growing market force... then I'll seriously look into it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Steam OS is more of a ladder rung to Valve's entry into the console market. They started the whole OS development thing as a facet of their Steam Box system. It will be interesting to see where it goes once the Steam Box is up and running in the marketplace.

Me? I'm happy with windows for right now. Perhaps when Steam OS has a lot of developer support and the Steam Box concept is proven and a growing market force... then I'll seriously look into it.
View Quote

If anything, it'll get Windows devs off their laurels to compete.

I'm not expecting a complete takeover from Windows by SteamOS, but I do expect it to prod some asses to get them innovating again.

In the end it's a win-win for gamerse.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, here it is!
Edit: Maybe we should wait a while. I've been sitting for about 5 minutes waiting for the download to start. Looks like Valve is getting hammered with requests.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck Steam, VALVE, Activision, Treyarch, IW, and all the other developers with a rusty boat anchor. Fucking assholes have ruined PC gaming for the short-attention-span console crowd.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fuck Steam, VALVE, Activision, Treyarch, IW, and all the other developers with a rusty boat anchor. Fucking assholes have ruined PC gaming for the short-attention-span console crowd.
View Quote

Uh... How do you figure Valve did?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm not expecting a complete takeover from Windows by SteamOS, but I do expect it to prod some asses to get them innovating again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the Windows PC market is their prime peer target though. I think what they are looking to do is sway the "PC curious" console folks using the Steam Box. If they can put up the performance numbers they are claiming linux can deliver as well as the userbase porting over the mods and addons as well as the industry defining pricing and sales models I think Valve will absolutely destroy the big consoles at their own game. They will do what no one has dared... merge the power and open source benefits of the PC with the accessibility and "living room" nature of the consoles.

All they have to do is convince people to get over the initial hardware investment costs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I don't think the Windows PC market is their prime peer target though. I think what they are looking to do is sway the "PC curious" console folks using the Steam Box. If they can put up the performance numbers they are claiming linux can deliver as well as the userbase porting over the mods and addons as well as the industry defining pricing and sales models I think Valve will absolutely destroy the big consoles at their own game. They will do what no one has dared... merge the power and open source benefits of the PC with the accessibility and "living room" nature of the consoles.
All they have to do is convince people to get over the initial hardware investment costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is really just the beginning of the Steam empire, that I think will come.
 For example, something else they're working on:

"Steam in-home streaming will allow you to play a game on
one computer when the game process is actually running on another
computer elsewhere in your home. Through Steam, game audio and video is
captured on the remote computer and sent to the player’s computer. The
game input (keyboard, mouse or gamepad) is sent from the player’s
computer to the game process on the remote computer.”

"Any two computers in a home can be used to stream a gameplay session
and this can enable playing games on systems that would not
traditionally be able to run those games. For example, a Windows only
game could be streamed from a Windows PC to a Steam Machine running
Linux in the living room.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/21/this-is-living-room-steam-in-home-streaming-beta-soon/

SteamOS could potentially look like Android in a few years, with many manufacturers building different devices:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/26/the-steam-clears-from-ibuypowers-steamos-machine/#more-177614

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#45]
If anyone can pull this off it will be Valve.  Keep in mind that Valve is a private company beholden to nobody, and damn near single-handedly brought back PC gaming from the brink.  They are the 8000lb Gorilla with endless capital, innovators, and a digital distribution that is the envy of the gaming world.

If Valve states they can pull it off, I for one believe it.

Edit: Gaben has more money in his bank account than God.  I think this cat is worth in the neighbor of 1.2 billion dollars.  Not the company, but personally.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Valve singlehandedly saved computer gaming with Steam.

I own an Xbox360 but buy games off of Steam every week or so, because it's easy, fast, looks better on my PC than my 'box, superior controls, and best of all, it's WAY cheap in comparison.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top