Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 10:13:20 PM EDT
I feel ignorant for asking this, but I need some advice on shipping a rifle to an FFL in California.

Have a user asking to purchase a LaRue OBR I have listed in EE, who resides in California. Have no experience with shipping rifles to California, and am not sure what is required.

Is it the receiving dealers responsibility to install a Bullet Button, etc? Or do I need to do it prior to shipping? Obviously I can't include the 20rd mags, but I'm clueless past that.

Any advice appreciated. Google-fu has yielded some conflicting answers.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
to make things go smoother install the bullet button yourself, some FFL's will others wont.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Install the bullet button yourself.

Disassemble the magazines into pieces. If the buyer doesn't mention any intent to reassemble into a magazine that holds more than ten rounds, then they're legit repair/replacement parts or ones they can use to modify into a ten round magazine and are good to go. If they do mention it (or any other cute things like "well the state would have to prove..." or "I'll say I found them..") or other retarded stuff indicating their intent to manufacture the magazine unlawfully, then keep the pieces.

Ship from you to their FFL. They need to check that their FFL will accept shipments from a private party, it's a business policy issue, not a law or anything like that. If you ship from your FFL then there's more paperwork involved.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure the FFL will accept shipment from a private party.  Get your payment and ship the rifle to the FFL once you have verified their information on the ATF website.  Let the FFL and purchaser worry about complying with the law on their side.  It is none of your concern and you can't get in trouble for sending it to the FFL, even if it doesn't comply with Cacafornia law as configured.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Install the bullet button yourself.

Disassemble the magazines into pieces. If the buyer doesn't mention any intent to reassemble into a magazine that holds more than ten rounds, then they're legit repair/replacement parts or ones they can use to modify into a ten round magazine and are good to go. If they do mention it (or any other cute things like "well the state would have to prove..." or "I'll say I found them..") or other retarded stuff indicating their intent to manufacture the magazine unlawfully, then keep the pieces.

Ship from you to their FFL. They need to check that their FFL will accept shipments from a private party, it's a business policy issue, not a law or anything like that. If you ship from your FFL then there's more paperwork involved.
View Quote

Damn, seems like you reach the point of diminished returns shipping to CA real quick.

At least shipping a C&R rifle there is pretty straight forward. I think they still have to wait (10 days?) to pick up even a C&R. I guess they are afraid someone might run amuck with that GEW 98.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Don't.
View Quote
What he said.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Sending that rifle to California is a waste!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Send it to Mexico first and it will get there easier since they DO check citizens but apparantly don't check illegals...

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Step 1.   Dont
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#10]
One does not simply ship rifles to California!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Keester the rifle
Travel to california
Sell from trunk (of car)
Profit?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Why would anyone waste their time or money changing out the magazine release, just to send a rifle into communist territory?  If someone from "that side" wants your rifle, let them make sure their dealer will change it out, or however they want to work out.  You are under absolutely no obligation to do anything but make sure you send the rifle to an FFL.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm no expert but I figure it's for money?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would anyone waste their time or money changing out the magazine release, just to send a rifle into communist territory?

I'm no expert but I figure it's for money?

You wouldn't waste any money by sending it to them as is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top