Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2013 6:49:07 PM EDT
Mentioned to dad if we do not get any snow we could go upriver to get pick-up loads of wood.

River smoothed out pretty good with last weeks melt down.

No snow is very hard on the snogos.

Dad does not like being on the river when it is not marked.

I have fun driving on the river.

Been on the river with over 80,000lbs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What could possibly go wrong!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
We don't have to wait for them to freeze..

Our rivers are paved...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Shell ice

over flow

open holes

Those are the worst.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
What is a snogos?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Never driven on a frozen body of water.  Played hockey on a frozen pond before when I was little, though.

Thats my limit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is a snogos?
View Quote

Im guessing snowmobiles...or as they say up there, snow machines
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
A frozen body of water?  What foul sorcery is this?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I like driving on ice. Just watch for pressure reefs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's called fun.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I stay off rivers, shit can happen yo.

Lakes I have no problem with as long as I'm not the test dummy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I stay off rivers, shit can happen yo.

Lakes I have no problem with as long as I'm not the test dummy.
View Quote

+1, I don't do frozen rivers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's called fun.

<a href="http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/akcaribouhunter/media/P3170034.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/akcaribouhunter/P3170034.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/akcaribouhunter/media/P3170011.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/akcaribouhunter/P3170011.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called fun.

<a href="http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/akcaribouhunter/media/P3170034.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/akcaribouhunter/P3170034.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/akcaribouhunter/media/P3170011.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/akcaribouhunter/P3170011.jpg</a>

Ya done did it now.  That appears to be a wife.  Were gonna need more pics, sir.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ya done did it now.  That appears to be a wife.  Were gonna need more pics, sir.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called fun.

Sadly no pics of the wife are allowed.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I was on a dive rescue team for 15 years. I've pulled out a couple of dead bodies and have been on a few recovery calls with people that have went through the ice in and out of vehicles. No thanks. Diving under the ice for training was pretty cool though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer to drive on unfrozen rivers, and lakes....in a boat.        

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I was on a dive rescue team for 15 years. I've pulled out a couple of dead bodies and have been on a few recovery calls with people that have went through the ice in and out of vehicles. No thanks. Diving under the ice for training was pretty cool though.
View Quote
Very few people have been recovered around here when they go under the ice do to the current.

You learn where to go and what to watch out for.

If you see the ice doing a wave in front of you slow down.

Driving over the wave is what breaks the ice.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
are you driving up to meet santa?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I love driving on frozen lakes if there's at least a foot of good ice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very few people have been recovered around here when they go under the ice do to the current.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck That.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#20]
The noise can be creepy..
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]
we drive the rivers here all the time. We are a bit north of you ( I think ) and have more constant cold temps. snowmachines are no problem. There are even a few ice bridges for vehicles later in the year. We have only have a few -40 or so days this year with the crazy weather. The ice is only at about 14'' down where we burbot fish on the chena near the tanana. LAst year this time is was well over 2ft.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Well...I'm down here in TN, so yeah...I generally dislike the attempt to drive on frozen rivers and/or lakes. End results are a wee bit different where I'm from.

E.T.A. Assuming we actually get a lasting pattern of weather cold enough for a lake to freeze over.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Shell ice

over flow

open holes

Those are the worst.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shell ice

over flow

open holes

Those are the worst.

I have done a little bit on lakes and do not like it, overflow makes me stress out

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is a snogos?

Ski Doos

or snogos

either or

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Ak is its own world, but rivers man... rivers are sketch... lake ice can be good to go and its a lot easire to tell. pack ice/flow ice formation.... sketchy shit
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Gives me the heeby jeebies. I'm very uneasy on frozen water.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ski Doos   or snogos

either or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a snogos?

Ski Doos   or snogos

either or

"Sled" in my neck.

Pressure ridges, inlets /outlets and spring holes, Freak. Me. Out.
I love fishing, but I am extremely leery of bodies of water I'm unfamiliar with
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
we drive the rivers here all the time. We are a bit north of you ( I think ) and have more constant cold temps. snowmachines are no problem. There are even a few ice bridges for vehicles later in the year. We have only have a few -40 or so days this year with the crazy weather. The ice is only at about 14'' down where we burbot fish on the chena near the tanana. LAst year this time is was well over 2ft.
View Quote

Burbot fish on the chena near the tanana? Are you having a stroke?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#30]
i dislike staying parked for any length of time on ice.  its creepy when the plowed out snow on each side is so close that you couldnt open your door quickly if you get in trouble.  it would probably happen so fast that you wouldnt have time to bail out anyways, but its still creepy.  i dont like seeing water on top of the ice either.  i go to a cabin on nancy lake that you can only drive to in winter.  the owner of the cabin is nuts, he is usually one of the last ones to use the road.  he doesnt drive it in a vehicle he cares about though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no? There are a shit load of burbot in the tanana and lots move into the end of the chena in the winter and rest from the faster moving water. We go quite well on them there too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Big 10-NO.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Its always a little unnreving, especially when you hear the cracks echo through the ice.  That said, by january we'll have cities on the lakes with 50 or more fullsize trucks parked side by side with no issues.

Rivers are a different story due to eddies and such but if you know the river and where the slack currents are, its no big deal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#36]
YES! Have driven many miles on the frozen Yukon river in Alaska and was always nervous.

Quoted:
Mentioned to dad if we do not get any snow we could go upriver to get pick-up loads of wood.
River smoothed out pretty good with last weeks melt down.

No snow is very hard on the snogos.

Dad does not like being on the river when it is not marked.

I have fun driving on the river.
Been on the river with over 80,000lbs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#37]
You're just speaking jibberish and insanity OP. Rivers don't freeze!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#38]
You couldn't pay me to drive on a frozen body of water. I fell through river ice once-dumbass kid, fucking around when I shouldn't have, but I went through, water was above my 8 year old head and the ice kept breaking ahead of me as I tried to get out. Even on a foot plus of ice, I find it terrifying to walk on, let alone drive-even when "the rules" say it's safe. Everyone has their fears, going through the ice again is one of mine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#39]
There was a TV show about this very topic.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

no? There are a shit load of burbot in the tanana and lots move into the end of the chena in the winter and rest from the faster moving water. We go quite well on them there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have some here in the deep lakes.  They stay between 15 to 40 feet deep.  Thread from this past March

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Once the rivers and lakes get frozen they are a 'quick/easy' to get from one place to another.  Once you learn the system you are, you should know where the warm water is and to stay away from those areas.  With snow machines, just go fast and you 'should' skim across any water!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Pretty errie sitting on a river in the middle of no where at night and hearing water drip in the air pocket between the ice and water.
I was considerably more concerned driving on the rivers in a pickup than on a snowmachine. Made good money a few times hooking chains or straps to quads and cars that played on the ponds too early or late. Always got a kick out of the paper's annual article about whatever moron busted thru the Chena in the spring, there was always one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We call the lush fish around here.

Cooked in soup and they do have an aroma.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Meh, after a couple of weeks of negative temps, you could drive a train across most rivers and lakes in Alaska.... I have no problems at all with driving my truck out there!

- Clint
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Have never done it. Don't get that cold around these parts.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't even fucking walk on the ice.  I've got a healthy respect for what cold water does.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#47]
People who are brave enough to go on rivers around here seem to end up on the news frequently. For lakes it always seems to leave you kind of on edge
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Fuck That.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck That.

Indeed, I've never witness that and it'd scare the hell out of me

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We call the lush fish around here.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/akcaribouhunter/Hunting/PB190012.jpghttp://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/akcaribouhunter/Hunting/PB190013.jpg

Cooked in soup and they do have an aroma.

. Give me a Walleye or something

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm from the Gulf Coast and have no idea what kind of magical river you guys drive on.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top