Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2013 5:51:34 PM EDT
Opportunities for advancement to management are always present........

What advice would you give to supervisors/management in dealing with employees?

Mainly in order to keep your supervisory job

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't forget where you came from, don't take any shit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had great success by treating people like adults and taking care of issues immediately.

I'm also a fan of making sure my folks know that I appreciate their contribution.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had great success by treating people like adults and taking care of issues immediately.

I'm also a fan of making sure my folks know that I appreciate their contribution.
View Quote

ETA also don't have someone do anything that you wouldn't do yourself.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Lay out expectations right off the bat.

Throw down the hammer when they deserve it.

Give them praise when they've earned it.

Have their back when they need it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Also when ass chewing time comes, do it in private. Nothing builds resentment than chewing out an employee in front of other employees or customers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Hold them down and piss on them to show dominance
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and always be the adult / professional.
don't play favorites.

ETA:  a manager takes the blame, not the credit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

If your only concern is keeping your job you will be an awesome manager. Looking out for yourself and no one else will make you a superstar.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Wise words are 3 & 4 posts above.  Heed them and you'll do ok.  You still have to accomplish plenty of goals on your own.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couldn't have said it better. One thing I've learned is don't punish your good employees..what I mean is if you have an employee that doesn't mind working late or the weekend, don't make them all the time just because they will. That shit gets old quick, believe me. It'll be better in the long run and you'll keep good, hard working employees instead of running them off. Place I worked for ran me off because of that garbage.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch their hours like a hawk, most people waste 20min-1hour a day, if you can avoid paying them for this you can save 1-5 hours a week in payroll. That money does a hell of a lot more good in my bonus than it does in some blue collars wallet ( where it gets spent on beer, cigs or a vacation).

Fire people for minor infractions, it keeps them on their toes.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Personal feelings belong at home not the work place.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Treat them with respect and always be fair. Be a leader but don't be a tyrant.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
You MANAGE things, you LEAD people
Trust them unless they prove you can't.
Listen to them
Remember, you were a grunt at one time
Get their ideas on how to do things better, after all, they are doing the work
Go see them in their work spaces, don't wait for them to find you
Don't ask them to do anything you aren't willing to do
Give them the praise, YOU take the blame
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a two-way street.  Treat your employees with respect and they will perform for you.  Treat them like cattle and they'll act like it in return - spitefully.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Be a leader not a manager.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
You're not there to be their friend.  Keep it professional.  The guy you're slappin knees with today, you may have to fire tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll add
.....don't play favorites
.....be honest
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got nothing for you, except that I wouldn't want to work for this kind of boss.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Say "I want to do it the way you would do it."  That saying helped me with a nasty deputy chief is was working with 10 years ago when I was a sergeant.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, treat those you supervise like human beings. Be firm but fair and treat everyone the same. Don't be a hard ass just because you are the boss.

My experience has been that this method is the most productive by far.  Acting superior and acting like a tyrant destroys moral and those you supervise become less productive.

You want people to do a good job and contribute above their expectations and smile when doing so...... pissed off workers make mistakes, don't do anymore than necessary and don't solve problems that they could.

Doesn't mean that you should not correct bad behavior and come down on someone when you should...... knowing WHEN you should and HOW you do it makes all the difference in the world.

Most employees know when someone deserves an ass chewing and if you do so WHEN it is truly warranted, you'll gain the respect of everyone.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Your job as a manager is to set the employees on a course, then do whatever it takes to HELP them do the job you've asked them to do.  Don't micro manage, your employees are capable of doing their job.  When it comes to the tasks at hand, you are a ship's captain, minor adjustments to the rudder is your job.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Read "Leadership Secrets of Atilla the Hun"
Great book on leadership and motivation.   Atilla had to rule an empire without phones, email, etc.  He set expectations of his people.  It is a serious work on leadership and easy to read.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I had this training course. I actually stayed awake all five days. It was actually very interesting and helpful.

Kaser Management Training
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't expect them to work harder than you would, don't compromise your standards, be consistent, be fair.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Watch their hours like a hawk, most people waste 20min-1hour a day, if you can avoid paying them for this you can save 1-5 hours a week in payroll. That money does a hell of a lot more good in my bonus than it does in some blue collars wallet ( where it gets spent on beer, cigs or a vacation).

Fire people for minor infractions, it keeps them on their toes.

View Quote

Not sure if serious...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Your job as a manager is to set the employees on a course, then do whatever it takes to HELP them do the job you've asked them to do.  Don't micro manage, your employees are capable of doing their job.  When it comes to the tasks at hand, you are a ship's captain, minor adjustments to the rudder is your job.
View Quote

Finally some fucking decent advice about managing.

My manager's main concern for everyone in our team is what obstacles or resources does he need to get to allow us to be productive.
He doesn't tell us what to do. We tell him what needs to be done and what we need to accomplish it.

ETA: Oh, he has to sign off on all my IT requests, so he is good to have around.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Treat a guy like an adult.

You aren't there to make friends.

When the time comes to reprimand someone, don't sugar coat it. Tell him what he's doing wrong and how to do it right, that's it. Use some tact.

"we pay guys to do this job", don't try to do their work for them.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't talk like you're a manager. Talk to other managers like you are a manager but if you talk the manager speak to you employees, they won't buy in to your philosophy and eventually you'll create an US vs THEM attitude in the organization. Just talk to them straight, be honest and up front. Don't BS them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Get to know your employees on a personal level. I'm talking about something as simple as finding out if an employee is married and has kids. Then ask them if they're doing ok from time to time when you walk around.

If you are supervising employees with some sort of rank or hierarchy, let the team lead do their job and don't micro manage.  

Leave home at home, and work at work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Never make friends with your staff and never trust any of them completely. 23+ years in upper level management and this is the best advice I can give.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

A corollary to this is to figure out just how much your boss will back you up.

Nothing worse than calling out bad behavior and having your boss override your call.

Better to have an idea up front before do the calling out.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watch out for the mal-contents, rumor spreaders, turd-stirrers, and under-miners.  Get rid of them if possible, isolate them if it's not.  Identify the good ones and the indispensables and get them on your side.  Be fair and friendly, but firm always and ruthless when necessary.  Never share personal information.  Never, ever place yourself in a situation where you are alone with a subordinate of the opposite sex.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Make an attempt to learn what your staff ACTUALLY does. Show them you got to be where you are today because you excelled at their jobs. If you don't, they will just see you as someone who sucked at the job they do now and brown nosed enough to get bumped to management.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#37]
This book.

Praise in public, punish in private.  Don't be so distant as to be that asshole who doesn't know if a worker has a spouse or children, OTOH, don't be a buddy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#38]
some interesting posts
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't treat them like shit and when someone fucks up, don't send an email to everyone about it, like my boss does.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Treat all with respect and fairness across the board. No favorites.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Today's subordinate is tomorrows superior, treat them accordingly. Respect is a two way street. Be consistent in your expectations. Keep abreast of policy changes, and communicate them clearly. Expect the same standards from everyone, subordinates, superiors, and you. Deal with problem employees in private. Do not bad mouth subordinates or superiors, ever. Not in public, or in private. When you are the boss, everyone is aware of that fact. You don't need to keep reminding everyone. If you feel the need to do so, you have lost their respect.        

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Shield those under you from the bullshit coming from above, but if one fucks up be quick and decisive about correcting it in private.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Communicate.
Any disciplinary action should be private.
Never ask anyone to do something you wouldn't.
Never make promises you cannot deliver on, always follow thru on what you say you will.
Do not be a yes man, to anyone.
Do not play favorites.
Do not get caught up in gossip, rumors, discrimination and all the other childish b.s.
Do not delegate your personal responsibilities/duties to subordinates.
Do not think you can manage people from a computer.
Do not show up late, take long lunches, leave early if your staff can't just as often.
If they're working a holiday, double, shut-down, whatever have your ass there.

I supervise, I see the opposite of all of these from fellow supervisors and my manager/director regularly and it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Give them room to do what they know is right.  Odds are, as line guys, they know what is broken and needs to be fixed.  Also understand that when you let them do that, you have to reign them in occasionally.  They have to understand that what they see is "right" is not always what the business sees as "right" and the business should always win.

I've got 6 guys on my crew and I'm in a manager on-call rotation every four weeks so one week a month I'm supervising two people from other teams.  Because of this, I live by what my gunner at my first duty station said:  "Never ask someone to do things you aren't willing to do".  I've let guys roll off of support calls with vendors and picked up that case so they could get sleep.  I've opened support cases myself and run them because I know the guy who's on-call has a new baby or a project due and, as management, I can take the hit on my sleep schedule to make sure he's effective and productive.  I've even taken over for guys I know are shitbags because somewhere down the line I'm going to ask someone to go above and beyond and I know I've set the example.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#45]
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#46]
In no particular order:

Make decisions true to your values, the ends do not justify the means.   Sacrificing your values for expediency will bite you in the ass.

Be as open, honest, and transparent as you can be.

Address issues quickly and decisively.   When you commit to follow up, DO IT.

Make your expectations clear, seek understanding when they are not met, and reward people when they are.

Be slow to hire and quick to fire.  Hire for cultural fit and not technical ability.   Remove terrorists before they drive away your stars, and be clear to everyone why, not as a punitive measure, but as a surgical measure,  like removing a tumor or rotten tooth.

Give as much freedom to your people as possible.  Define what results you are looking to achieve,  what constraints they need to work within, and allow them to find their way from A to B.

Thats my management philosophy in a nut shell and has served me well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

this.
and be firm on personal issues with them. never let one get away with something- the others will know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't bother if the company leadership and culture are fubar
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#49]
You can be wrong and your subordinate can be right.

Don't let your ego keep you from being a leader.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Companies are a lot like a tree full of monkeys.

The ones at the top look down and see a bunch of smiling faces.

The ones at the bottom look up and see a bunch of assholes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top