Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 4:43:10 PM EDT
WTF is this?  more .gov keeping tabs on us?

As a complimentary service to you, the Tire Identification Codes for the
tires you purchased will be automatically registered with the
Department of Transportation (DOT).

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
News to me and I work for a tire shop. We do record tire numbers for warranty records for certain brands.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Dibs on your Cool Ranch Doritos
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I've gone low carb, so all you can put in your mouth is my meat.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Federal law requires tire manufacturers to provide standardized information permanently branded on the sidewalls of all tires sold in the United States. This includes information about the tire’s basic characteristics, capacities and construction, as well as its U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Tire Identification Number used for safety standard certification and in case of a recall.

Current regulations require that Tire Identification Numbers begin with the letters "DOT," followed by ten, eleven or twelve characters (see photo below) that can be used to identify the manufacturing location, tire size and manufacturer's specifications, along with the week and year the tire was manufactured. So while DOT Tire identification Numbers are commonly but erroneously referred to as the tire’s serial number, unlike the serial numbers used on most other consumer goods that identify one specific item, Tire Identification Numbers actually identify production batches.
View Quote

Because not all tires are intended to be imported and sold in the United States, many tires are developed and produced without being tested by their manufacturer to confirm they meet all U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Without conducting the tests and certifying these tires meet U.S. requirements, these tires are not allowed to be branded “DOT” (shown below) and cannot be legally driven in the United States.
View Quote

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=172
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh, I'll pass.  Not too crazy about Lil Smokies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Incorrect - on passenger car tires.

Truck tires are different.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I once had a customer who got to the dealership 5 min before closing at 8pm spend until midnight in the shop looking over the used car he was buying. Even yes checked tire identification numbers and dates to make sure they matched. He also read the entire bank contract word for word and also the mv forms. Took all I had not to shoot myself in the head or punch him in the face.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The purchase is registered for recall purposes, so that in the event of a recall/systemic problem they know who to contact.

Production codes/date of manufacture as in the last 4 digits tell you the week and year of manufacture. 2513 would be the 25th week of 2013 for example.

All tires approved for highway use in the U.S. have a DOT number molded into the lower sidewall of the tire immediately above the bead that identifies the manufacturer, plant, and date of manufacture.

Registration of dot's has a very low compliance rate.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The purchase is registered for recall purposes, so that in the event of a recall/systemic problem they know who to contact.

Production codes/date of manufacture as in the last 4 digits tell you the week and year of manufacture. 2513 would be the 25th week of 2013 for example.

All tires approved for highway use in the U.S. have a DOT number molded into the lower sidewall of the tire immediately above the bead that identifies the manufacturer, plant, and date of manufacture.

Registration of dot's has a very low compliance rate.
View Quote

I think they were just here to hook up...

twink
bear
power bottom
[new entry] tire identification number
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I think this started with the Firestone & Ford Explorer roll over issue years ago.  OEM's need to keep track of the tire ID number in case of a recall, not sure what the reg's for the aftermarket are.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Hide yer dags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top