Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 3:18:24 PM EDT
He was found guilty of theft  of over $500 but not more than $1000 3rd degree theft from place of employment.
Is that a felony? They never really said. Not that it mattered it he was a felon anyways.

It was my first time on jury duty and I must say it is not for me.
I played by the rules and decided he was guilty based on the evidence I was given, but I still felt bad.
He was an older fella with some obvious mental issues.

That being said I didn't let it cloud my judgement. I did my job.
Just though I'd share and vent a bit. Overall It was a good experience I learned some things and had some fun. It also kept me out of the cold for the week.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for doing your duty and taking your responsibility seriously.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting picked for trial sucks. Mine was an assault case that ended up costing me 13hours of trial and deliberation in 1 day, and ended with a 3-3 hung jury.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Been called a few times.  Was picked once.  Multiple cases of child sexual abuse.  Never so mentally drained in my life as I was after all the verdicts were reached and I got home late that night,   4 Days of trial, and 7 hours of deliberation on 5 charges.  Saying guilty is hard to do when you are one of only 12 people in the world whose opinion really matters on an issue.  This is as it should be.  The judge determines punishment.  He can take various factors into account,  The jury only has to decide facts.  

Thank you for stepping forward.  It is a civic duty.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Good job OP, you have my respect for a thankless job.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Never picked......I'm an Accountant and CPA in the Insurance industry and have had three friends/family of friends who died at the hands of a DUI driver.  With most of the cases being DUI where I live, well.....

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
In most jurisdictions petty theft with a prior is a felony.

Looking at all the comments from guys that are proud of avoiding jury duty or claiming they would throw a jury, they don't seem to have the smarts needed to do the job right.

Having recently sat on a jury, where the DA left a Reasonable Doubt window open big enough to drive a truck through without adequately stressing that the act that we should be basing the decision was a different act.

It isn't easy sometimes.  Most cases are an easy decision, those hard ones just drag it out of you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for doing your duty and taking your responsibility seriously.
View Quote

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top