Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 1:42:24 PM EDT
This episode they wonder what people would do if these two guys who just got back from Assganistan can't buy a drink because of being underage.

What would you guys do?

ETA to fix link

Video won't embed.

What would you do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not a good idea to be trying to get drinks in a snow storm like that
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell them to head to one of the local bootleggers like everyone else in this dry county has to do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This episode they wonder what people would do if these two guys who just got back from Assganistan can't buy a drink because of being underage.

What would you guys do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4EcIVJz6g4

ETA to fix link
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
This was the argument that got the drinking age lowered to 18 in the 60's during the Vietnam era.  If you were old enough to fight and die for your country, you were old enough to drink.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you guys do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4EcIVJz6g4

ETA to fix link

Video didn't like the https
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This was the argument that got the drinking age lowered to 18 in the 60's during the Vietnam era.  If you were old enough to fight and die for your country, you were old enough to drink.
View Quote

As I recall, this is also the argument that lowered the voting age.

That's worked out swimmingly...  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a 'minor in possession' ticket while I was home on leave once.

Extrapolate from that.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless they TELL me they're under 21...

Check ID, make a mistake about their DOB (I suck at math and stuff ), serve them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a novel situation... at least to those of you who weren't around the last time America fought a protracted war with a military filled with people under 21 years of age (many of whom were draftees ).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
On Camp Pendleton the drinking age is 18, or at least it used to be 20 or so years ago. They lowered it apparently to keep the guys away from Tijuana.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On Camp Pendleton the drinking age is 18, or at least it used to be 20 or so years ago. They lowered it apparently to keep the guys away from Tijuana.
View Quote

Same on Ft Bliss .(Jaurez)
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess I'm a dick. If I saw those two in public in general I would immediately suspect poser based off the wear of the uniform.  I would be questioning them intensely.

Right or wrong, agree or not, of age or not, if they were in uniform drinking i would remind them that it's a not allowed and to please fix themselves.

Now, take away both of those red flags, I'm from the camp if you serve, you should be served.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Entertaining TV, I guess.  The simple fact is that the Military is used to enforce order and the rule of law (however convoluted and far-fetched as that may be based on current and recent events).  UCMJ indicates that the local governing laws for the area that your feet are occupying take precedence when off Base/Post.  Asking a bartender to potentially go to jail for serving the under aged (regardless of the number of combat days you have) is a dick move.

However, I don't own a bar..."Take them somewhere else"
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I was 18 when I got out of boot, and as long as I showed my active duty id no one ever looked at the d.o.b.. I don't remember ever being denied entrance anywhere for being too young.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't buy a handgun either, but you wont see any progressives whining about that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Tell them to fix their collars, tuck in their boot laces, generally unfuck themselves, and not to go to a bar in their acus's trying to drink underage.  They need to take their asses back to the barracks and get fucked up there so they don't get a dui and have the 1SG called in and fuck up everyone in the units weekend, but I probably went a little to far into the scenario.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was 18 when I got out of boot, and as long as I showed my active duty id no one ever looked at the d.o.b.. I don't remember ever being denied entrance anywhere for being too young.
View Quote

Different times; I guess...  I remember being a dependent with a 35-10, walking into the NCO Club bar and not having any trouble.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Those two posers from the video no, real soldiers yes.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why was it changed?

See that's what frosts my donuts: At 18 we can trust you with a 3,000 pound car filled with gasoline, we can trust you to elect the nation's leaders, can trust you to inhale smoke from a stick filled with chemicals, you can enter into legal contracts, but you can't have alcohol.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why was it changed?

See that's what frosts my donuts: At 18 we can trust you with a 3,000 pound car filled with gasoline, we can trust you to elect the nation's leaders, can trust you to inhale smoke from a stick filled with chemicals, you can enter into legal contracts, but you can't have alcohol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why was it changed?

The same reason it was banned in the first place: women.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guess I'm a dick. If I saw those two in public in general I would immediately suspect poser based off the wear of the uniform.  I would be questioning them intensely.

Right or wrong, agree or not, of age or not, if they were in uniform drinking i would remind them that it's a not allowed and to please fix themselves.

Now, take away both of those red flags, I'm from the camp if you serve, you should be served.

View Quote

This.

Drinking in uniform and the one still has his cover on.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I came to post. Seemed sensible.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

^This.  Posers for sure.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Show me a valid .mil ID, and you are GTG, for whatever, in my book.

I'll buy a round of drinks for active .mil whenever I bump into them. Anywhere, anytime.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

^This.  Posers for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

^This.  Posers for sure.

You guys know they're actors, right?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They changed it back in 2007ish.  21 now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's sucks. Had my first (in a public setting) drinks there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the many, many safety policies put into effect by risk adverse commanders.  God forbid we treat adults like adults and hold them responsible for their individual actions.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
If you're old enough to serve then you're old enough to drink in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#30]
The United States of America is one of only four developed countries in the world who have a nationwide drinking age of over 18, the other three are South Korea (19), Iceland (20), and Japan (20).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought the row of Marines next to me on my last flight Cap'n & Cokes.  They all looked 15 but the stewardess never even blinked, served every one of them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd tell them to fix their fucking collars.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got a 'minor in possession' ticket while I was home on leave once.

Extrapolate from that.

View Quote

Fuck that shit. Did you pay it or did you go before a judge? Got one myself at a football game tailgate...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AARP age group has more to do with election results...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top