Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 10:26:19 AM EDT
Here's my recent one.

Original postt:
McCarthy: “Carrying a loaded firearm is the gateway crime to committing a murder.” I guess owning a camera makes you a pedophile, matches make you an arsonist, and owning a pair of shoes makes you a terrorist. http://bearingarms.com/mccarthy-carrying-a-loaded-firearm-is-the-gateway-crime-to-committing-a-murder/

His response:
1. You make a terrible and one-sided argument which would indicate a lack of intellect and thoughtfulness concerning a grave subject. Such a lacking is troubling for a gun owner with a carry permit (or even one without).
2. You might notice that the context of that quote is in regards to illegal carriers.
3. Also, it appears your source article might carry a slight bias.
4. In light of the above, it would seem evident that this post is an affirmation of that bias meant to "pat one's self on the back" rather than to facilitate critical discussion of the aforementioned grave subject.
5. In summary, it makes you look pretty dumb. And for someone who carries a gun, that ain't good.

My initial response:
1. That would be your opinion. Also, Ad hominem.
2. In chicago, all carrying is illegal. So regardless as to whether a person is completely law abiding otherwise, carrying a firearms is an instant felony. So the context doesnt matter as to "illegal carrying" as all carrying is illegal in Chicago. Not to mention the original article from CBS also does not include much more than that quote.
3. Give me a single article or news source in the last decade that doesnt have any bias. The only sources you will provide are those with bias you agree with.
4. Or perhaps its more to point out a completely idiotic statement by a public official who considers anyone who legally or illegally carries a firearms to be a future criminal (notice he didnt put a geographic constraint on his comment, so he includes everyone in the US, potentially the world, in his statement).
5. Again, entirely opinion and Ad hominem attacks.

For someone who seems to purport themselves to be "Intelligent" and "thoughtful" you seem to miss the entire issue while simply attempting to belittle me. I expected much better logic out of you, but if all you can do is childishly call people names in an argument, please feel free to unfriend me.

There are a few other posts by other people but I'm cutting them out for brevity.

His response:
Yes, my opinion is that this post makes you look pretty dumb. I am not saying 'you're dumb and therefore your argument is invalid' as ad hominem would imply. The argument itself is flawed. A gun is a weapon, plain and simple. Cameras, matches, and shoes are not. The only completely idiotic statement I read here is equating those objects to crime. If you want a logic error, whenever you decide to use that weapon, whether in self defense or not, and a person is injured by your bullet, there is a long list of gripey FB posts that can and would be used as evidence at trial for your demeanor. What I'm saying is that you should consult the words of the great Ice Cube and check yourself. You're becoming a poster child 2nd amendment crank.

My last response:
"which would indicate a lack of intellect and thoughtfulness" and "it makes you look pretty dumb" fit the definition of an ad hominem perfectly (marked by or being an attack on an opponents character rather than by an answer to the contentions made). If you were trying to have a civil debate you wouldn't have included them at all. A firearm is a tool (tacking on "plain and simple" makes it a Begging the Claim fallacy, as well as assuming that a camera, matches and shoes are not). Whether it is used for good or ill is completely up to the user.

As (name redacted) pointed out, the statement he made applies to his own officers. Such a broad based statement only shows prejudice and bigotry with no regard as to the actual subject or the complexity thereof. The rest of your post seems to imply that in order to properly exercise my 2nd amendment rights I must abandon my 1st amendment rights? Unbelievable. I'm frankly not sorry that my advocation of my constitutional rights seems to bother you and make me look like a "2nd amendment crank" to you. Also, I don't take my advice from B-grade washed up rappers.

So, has this been a pretty good defense?

Feel free to post up your own run ins with Facebook morons.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
TL;DR

next time, just ask for screen shots...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TL;DR

View Quote

TL;DR

My post:
The Chicago police chief is an idiot

His post:
I'm a moron.

My post:
You ARE a moron

His post:
No, I don't think you understand, I am a fucking idiot.

My post:
I agree.

I'm on my iPad, so I can't do screenshots unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Just get off facebook. I did it a year ago and have been living a better life since. Seriously... food tastes better, colors are brighter, sleep sounder, screw longer, water is wetter, etc etc.

Just deactivate, bro.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

TL;DR

My post:

His post:
I'm a moron.

My post:
You ARE a moron

His post:

My post:
I agree.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

TL;DR

My post:

His post:
I'm a moron.

My post:
You ARE a moron

His post:

My post:
I agree.

still TL;DR
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

still TL;DR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR

TL;DR

My post:

His post:
I'm a moron.

My post:
You ARE a moron

His post:

My post:
I agree.

still TL;DR

Lol, I should have expected this.

TL;DR = People dumb.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just get off facebook. I did it a year ago and have been living a better life since. Seriously... food tastes better, colors are brighter, sleep sounder, screw longer, water is wetter, etc etc.

Just deactivate, bro.
View Quote

I really disagree with this viewpoint. Social media is really the only tool we have to combat misinformation. Sure it is full of petty drama, but it is an effective tool to get the word out. To bitch about the media on one hand, but then do nothing to correct that bias on the other is silly.

OP, you have done a good job so far and seem to be getting better with your responses. Keep it up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I really disagree with this viewpoint. Social media is really the only tool we have to combat misinformation. Sure it is full of petty drama, but it is an effective tool to get the word out. To bitch about the media on one hand, but then do nothing to correct that bias on the other is silly.

OP, you have done a good job so far and seem to be getting better with your responses. Keep it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just deactivate, bro.

See, that's how I see it. Yes it's easier to just walk away, but who will be left to fight the good fight?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, isn't your time more valuable spent doing other things than arguing with dumbasses on Facebook?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, isn't your time more valuable spent doing other things than arguing with dumbasses on Facebook?
View Quote

probably not

and TL;DR

Seriously, no screen shots on an ipad? you can on an iphone...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably, but it also seems like we are constantly losing on the hearts and minds front. Plus I look at it as good practice for when the important conversations come up when tragic events like sandy hook occur.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Probably, but it also seems like we are constantly losing on the hearts and minds front. Plus I look at it as good practice for when the important conversations come up when tragic events like sandy hook occur.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reality is, most on Facebook are not able to use their minds......
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

probably not

and TL;DR

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

probably not

and TL;DR

1. I'm not really a Mac guy, so I don't know how to do screen shots on an iPad.
2. I don't have a place to host the images if I could get them.
3. I couldn't edit the photos and remove names on my iPad.
4. Screen shots won't reduce the amount of reading....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice work OP.  Did that shut him up?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice work OP.  Did that shut him up?
View Quote

We'll see.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#15]
As an aside...

Push the home and sleep buttons at the same time on an ipad to do a screenshot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As an aside...

Push the home and sleep buttons at the same time on an ipad to do a screenshot.
View Quote

Well I'll be damned, look at that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought your last response was sufficient. It is pretty much as good as you could hope a FB argument could go...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Social engineering.  People's opinions are not fully their own, regardless of what they think.  The pen is mightier than the sword, and the media + Hollywood is mightier than a nuclear arsenal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#19]
People are stupid and they are all too eager to display their ignorance on the Internet, where their comments rarely lead to the kinds of social consequences that result from open stupidity in the real world.

Facebook is certainly no exception.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]
New response:
Don't take Ice Cubes words of wisdom at your own risk. A firearm is a tool, yes. So is everything humans make. A firearm is a specific kind of tool with a specific purpose - to put a bullet in something/someone (usually the latter as it was designed for). Though I suspect it has different meaning to you. We can argue semantics all day long, but at the end of the day you're the one walking around with a loaded gun and loaded FB propaganda. I have no skin in this game.

My response:
Because rappers really lead lives of wonderful decision making and well thought out life goals. Actually my firearms havnt put a hole in anyone, so saying "the later" is intellectually dishonest at best. Somehow trying to imply that I'm going to murder someone. And you are correct, I do walk around, with a loaded firearm, ready to protect myself, my family, and others if need be. Have fun with your "loaded" bigoted point of view.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#21]
most people dont comment on my statuses anymore. i have some friends who jump at the opportunity to attack the idiots that used to post drivel on my DB postings. dun scared them away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I read it ALL and enjoyed it
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks! I'm glad someone got something out of it, because he sure didn't.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Facts have no effect on libtards.  They only respond to emotion.  Theyre stupid emotional retards.  I even had one accuse me of making up a word.  That word was hoplophobe.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#25]
TL DR.  

I unfriend retards as they appear.  Nice and simply.  Trayvon took out a couple dozen by himself.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I got into it with one of my old HS teachers on FB about guns/gun control.

Shitting all over his face with facts and he comes back with "Well I bet Mexico would appreciate it if we tightened up our gun laws in the US".

I couldnt even continue debating the guy after that.  I was laughing hysterically and pissed at the same time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#27]
inb4 NYPA
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top