Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2002 4:38:55 AM EDT
Why do some people insist on screwing up a perfectly good gun?

I recently finished up installing a Parker Hale target barrel in .308 on a Czech Mauser for a customer.  A really nice job, if I do say so myself.  The guy had a pretty nice looking stock of fiddleback maple that he was going to finish and inlet for this particular barreled action.  Well I got a call from him yesterday and he asked me when the action was made.  I responded sometime betwen 1930 and 1950, I think.  It turns out he is going to ake a quarter from around that time period and SINK IT INTO THAT NICE PIECE OF MAPLE!?!?!

Man, I hate that shit!

What's the worst case of gun abuse you have seen?

Balming

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
toooooooooo many to list
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Cutting the barrels of a Parker Double down to 18 inches. The boy should have been whipped!
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
toooooooooo many to list
View Quote

Same for me, and the same goes for cars!

Gotta ask, when people do these cobbed up things, do they really think that it looks good?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
How about people engraving their whole social security number into all of their guns?  I can't count the number of times I've seen this done.

Balming
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I think we've all seen the SKSs that have been FUBARed and rendered totally illegal.

I once saw a post-ban model DR200, you know, with a with the weird thumbhole grip. Anyhow, some guy had taken a coping saw or hacksaw and had sawed on the thumbhole making it into a very crude pistol grip. He didn't even clean it up, just left two flat sawed places. Not really an extreme example, but geez, those things can sell for up to $800 now.

I also once saw an A-5 with the stock SPRAY-PAINTED black and green. I think he was planning to turkey hunt??????
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
i collect and shoot smallbore target rifles.

you should see what morons do to perfectly georgeous winchesters.

drill and tap for a 24x leupold??? on a .22???

heavily carved stocks? on a target/match rifle.

ivory inlays? yes...ivory on a match rifle! now THERE'S a novel thought!

how about taking a bandsaw to the butt to shorten it up a inch or so...and not refitting the buttplate?

gold plated trigger shoes and trigger guards? huh? on a rifle that sold new for $30?

mis-matched sights installed. lyman rear and a redfield front? wth?

i recently bought a 1930's winchester model 69a target with sling studs made from domed 1930's indian head/buffalo nickels!!! they had a nut brazed to the back of them for the screw to thread into. so, i guess the quarter in the maple is 'keeping with tradition'??? doh!

don't get me started on the folks that trick out their ar's and sks's...10 pounds of bolt on gizmo's that they never use.

ruining fine firearms must be an american passtime.

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Ruger Red Label with the barrels hacked off.  I was at a loss for words.  He thought it would be neat if he could get a holster made for it.  Youth is wasted on the young and sometimes money is wasted on the ignorant.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about people engraving their whole social security number into all of their guns?  I can't count the number of times I've seen this done.

Balming
View Quote

When those inexpensive electric engravers came out in the 1970's my beloved father took to inscribing his DL# on everything in the house, garage and barn.  Everyf'ingthing that could be moved had his henscratched number writ large in the most hideously obvious places.  It took one hit from a 220V line to permanently cancel that vibrator's meal ticket.  Never told him but I think he knew.  Saved the guns by losing the key to the guncabinet before he got to them.  Damn I miss him.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Colt Walker Repro (by Colt) that I bought for black powder white tail season (back up for the one shot long rifle).  Bad idea.  You could'nt hit a bull in the ass with the damn thing if you were both in the kitchen.  Any way my nephew wants to borrow it to take on a hunt to Da UP.  I fix him up and tell him I use Pyrodex because it's not as corrosive as black powder.  Go ahead and shoot it, empty it before you bring it back.  He did.  He didn't clean it.  When I opened the case the damn thing was red.  

I cried.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Using guns as "collector items" and artificially inflating prices.
A gun is made to SHOOT, not sit in a afe and collect dust!
As far as mods go, if they own the gun, who are we to judge? It may look ugly to us, but to them, it's just "enhancements".
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate getting body bags!!! And it always there cousin that took it apart. And one spring or screw is always missing. As for guns I have seen sum jacked up stuff.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw a camoed Hi-Point Carbine with a laser dot sight in a gun shop once.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I saw a camoed Hi-Point Carbine with a laser dot sight in a gun shop once.
View Quote

I think this is the wrong thread for that. They're talking about people screwing up their guns, not making them better.
[;)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Working at a gun store during my college days, we had a lot of guys bring in their basket cases.  One such gun was a Browning lever action with high gloss finish and the works.  Anyway, he hacksawed the barrel down by 6" (illegal), the stock down by 1" and the guys initials carved into the side of the receiver.

Want to see a beauty queen of a 22 turn into a crack whore of a 22?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When those inexpensive electric engravers came out in the 1970's my beloved father took to inscribing his DL# on everything in the house, garage and barn.  Everyf'ingthing that could be moved had his henscratched number writ large in the most hideously obvious places.  It took one hit from a 220V line to permanently cancel that vibrator's meal ticket.  Never told him but I think he knew.  Saved the guns by losing the key to the guncabinet before he got to them.  Damn I miss him.
View Quote

My dad was from Texas also.  Had the same engraver compulsion.  He engraved every socket, screwdriver, anything that would take a scratch.  If my dad were still here, he would still be engraving something.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Every time I open up an issue of america's first freedom, there's some jacked up, pimped out, politically correct, chrome and gold covered, Piece of shit rendition of what used to be a fine firearm. They call them Commerative issues.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Two words; "Poly Choke"
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad was from Texas also.  Had the same engraver compulsion.  He engraved every socket, screwdriver, anything that would take a scratch.  If my dad were still here, he would still be engraving something.
View Quote

my dad was the same way it must have been the big thing to do
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I think if your AR is over 10 pounds, you've gone too far.

Mine's at 9.99lbs...had to shave a little rubber off the pistol grip[;)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#21]
worst i saw?

this jackass engraved his initials (very crudely) in multiple areas on his once flawless HK 91.

[shock] [stick]  [whacko]

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Hummmm....

I think that they needed something like that on "Pitch Black".....

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I think it's funny when they jack with something, then need to sell it, and can't understand why the rest of the world doesn't want it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
don't get me started on the folks that trick out their ar's and sks's...10 pounds of bolt on gizmo's that they never use.
View Quote

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=127[/url]

I did notice that this rifle still has the stock pistol grip and no "gapper" installed.

View Quote

can this guy not see or somthing i mean come on!
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#26]
What? No C-Mag?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=127[/url]

I did notice that this rifle still has the stock pistol grip and no "gapper" installed.

View Quote

LOL!  WTF is that?  Geez, I think the other guy was right, apparently this guy has trouble seeing.  How about strapping on a Night Sun to that thing?  Sheesh talk about over kill.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#28]
One member stated "It's up to the individual, it's their gun".  I guess that's true to an extent.  If it's a Marlin model 60 or a Rem 742, go ahead and bastardize it.

Sometimes people do it to fine collectible firearms.
I liken it to buying a Monet or Rembrandt (sp?) and adding shit to the painting to "make it better!"

POLYCHOKE!!!   I had forgotten about those!  Many a good Browning A-5 has come through the shop with one of those donkey dicks hanging off the front of it.  DOH!

Balming
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone got a pic of a Polychoke, I'm curious to see what they look like. Sounds pretty bad if they resemble a donkey dick in any way.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Has anyone got a pic of a Polychoke, I'm curious to see what they look like. Sounds pretty bad if they resemble a donkey dick in any way.
View Quote

[img]http://www.marblearms.com/media/polychoke/polychoketop.jpg[/img]  More info [url]http://www.marblearms.com/polychoke/polychoke.html[/url]

Also, Cutts Compensator, a similiar product [url]http://www.marblearms.com/polychoke/polychoke.html[/url]

Not the most attractive things to be sure, but at least they serve a functional purpose.  The rambo wanna-be SKS's are my least favorite.  To take a perfectly good proletarian rifle like a Simonov & fubar it up with a bunch of crap boggles my mind.  $150 SKS + $50 fiberglass stock +$60 for 3 crappy USA 30rnd mags +$20 muzzle brake + $50 cheesy scope mount & scope= you could have bought the AK you wanted to begin with.  Same for the various Mausers & Mosin-Nagants.  Jeezus, people!  Just shop the pawnshops or classified ads for a used Marlin/Winchester .30-30 or Savage bolt action if you want a cheap deer rifle.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Referring to SSN's being engraved...

I did that.  Special circumstances.   I made my lower receiver from a 0 percent forging with a milling machine and associated tools.   Although the law and the BATF don't REQUIRE me to mark the lower in any way,  I decided that I wanted it to be marked in a distinctive way so that if it should ever be stolen, there would be a VERY high probability that upon recovery, it could be easily and conclusively be traced back to me.    

This is because if I understand the law right, a firearm that you make for yourself (making the receiver, more specifically) can't be sold or traded...ever...and is only transferrable to next of kin.   So it's my rifle for life.  As I can't sell it to anyone else, and it's my permanent property,  might as well mark it so that there's no doubt who owns it.

But it was CNC engraved in the usual place on the
left side of the mag well before anodizing. So it looks good.

However, it's not obvious what it says at first glance.  Black on black is low observability.  It's not like I'm advertising my SSN whenever I pull the rifle out of its case.  You have to be close to see it, and with the light at a favorable angle as well.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
[b]poly chokes and SS numbers[/b]

I cant tell you how many old A-5's or whinchester lever guns in beautiful shape i see whith either a poly-choke or SS# scratched on em.

Ill add people that....

1. ground off the shoulder stock lug on lugers & broomhandle mausers.

2.   obliterated the U.S. proof marks on issue  colt SAA pistols.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Balming,
A hell of a thread!  I was reading along with interest and humor.  Then the Poly Choke comment (a.k.a. Donkey dick).  Great humor if only it weren't so true.

My own pet peeve is guys take a Ruger 10-22, and hang all kinds of BS on it and then down the road need some money and ask $350 for it.  I tell them the rifle is worth $75, but $50 for yours because I have to take all that junk off to get to it!

I am guilty of putting custom grips on revolvers, take a nice old S&W, find some beautiful wood grips and then decide to sell it.  Of course nobody wants to pay an extra nickle for exotic wood grips, so I got a drawer full of them.  Once bought some sharp looking stag grips for a SA Ruger Old Model flattop.  The damned things were uncomfortable as hell!  Traded them off for some cheaper grips that fit my hand right.

Live and learn, at least I don't own an engraver!
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair, this was done to stay legal regarding NFA rules.  Pretty much the same as ground off bayonet lugs & pin & welded muzzle brakes on post-ban AR's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
"Sporterizing" an M1 Garand........surely a capital offense, if ever there was one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Zardoz, that's a good one!

I hate seeing a Garand or M1 Carbine with a glossy stock finish that looks like the clearcoat on a Porsche!

Yuck!

Balming
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Well maybe this is close. I knew a guy who had a mint condition '68 Camaro SS. Man it was sharp! His family had more money than he could spend (dickhead) so what did he do...he made the car a race/drag car. Cut the back fender wells out to accommodate slicks, cut the hood for an air scoop, I could go on and on but it was one of the best waste of machinery I've ever seen.
[/quote]As you grow older you make a fool of yourself in a more dignified manner.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#38]
There's nothing like a mint pre 64 Mod70 with a drivers license or soc # engraved on it.

Spray paint and camo tape specials.

Hack saw custom jobs.

"Screw it up yourselfer," cartridge conversions, complete with barrel vise marks and no caliber stamped on the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair, this was done to stay legal regarding NFA rules.  Pretty much the same as ground off bayonet lugs & pin & welded muzzle brakes on post-ban AR's.
View Quote

wouldn't that only appy to post ban Mausers and Lugers?
Those would be pretty rare dont you think?
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As far as mods go, if they own the gun, who are we to judge?
View Quote

Me! Me! Let me be the judge!
Many of the guns I own are way older than I am, and I do appreciate that nobody fucked with them. And I hope the next owners of my guns will appreciate that I didn't fuck up those guns either.

It may look ugly to us, but to them, it's just "enhancements".
View Quote

But in reality, they are destroying part of our cultural heritage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Then you'll be happy to know that my original Colt M1911 (made in 1918 by the serial number, 386xxx) is all stock, just like the government left it when it got surplussed out via DCM, where my father got it in 1964.   Any work done to it (excepting only maintenance repairs...a new recoil spring and cap) was done by the Army's Augusta Arsenal prior to its sale.   It shoots fine, and yes, I do shoot it.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Well, naturally, of course...[;)]  I'm pretty sure that the C-96 & P08 shoulder stock lug castrating was done between the time the NFA 1934 was passed & whenever the BATF finally ruled that the possession of a C&R Broomhandle or Luger with a shoulder stock/holster wasn't a felony.  I don't really think the owners of C96/P08 or certain BHP's thought they were "improving" their pistols by hacking off shoulder stock lugs, just avoiding the wrath of "shoot children in the back, women in the face, burn down the building, stomp the pets,  etc" FedPigs.  Not quite the same as some nimrod chopping the barrel's on a Parker to make a CAS coachgun or shortening a barrel on a wartime bringback P-38 to make a concealed carry piece (I've actually seen this one).
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

True but like with the bayonet lug issue.
I have yet to hear any tall tales of people getting sent to the federal goulag  for violatin' that edict either. [:\]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Sir i must say, I like the way you think [thinking]

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

What,no ergo grip....... WTF!?!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#48]
1) My ex father in-law shootign a load of #2s through my Silver Snipe bulging the bottom barrel

2) A friend of mine put a really nice [>(] cammo job on a HK 93A3 with krylon - that was when you could walk into a shop and buy any of the EBRs [:|]

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I own a Remington Model 11 (A5 clone) with a PolyChoke.  I didn't install it.  It's not pretty.  However, to remove it will cost money, and to get a new barrel will cost more than I paid for the gun.  In the mean time i'll use it.

Some folks do some seriously screwy things to their guns.   However, collector value is in the eye of the collector.  Certainly some guns have historical value, but I just can't see the historical value of 1 million Czech Mausers.  Maybe a few special ones that are quality representatives of the bunch.  At a certain point, common sense should take over.  Getting a good condition mauser @ big 5 doesn't mean it's a collector, other then adding to your gun collection....it just means you own a new gun.  

If you folks are so sure that these people are going to f#$% their guns up, buy the gun from them at whatever cost if it's truly collectible.  Otherwise STFU.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#50]
If you folks are so sure that these people are going to f#$% their guns up, buy the gun from them at whatever cost if it's truly collectible. Otherwise STFU.
View Quote

I would if I could,
The problem is I only see them for sale [size=4]after[/size=4] some sob has mutilated them beyond redemption
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top