Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2013 7:22:05 AM EDT
So i just found out we had to replace a vending machine at work because the buttons are to high off the ground.   There is not one person in this building in a wheelchair and we don't even have any little people.

I love government intervention.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate the ADA with a passion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
We have nearly a dozen handicap spots in my building's parking lot.  I've never seen more than one in use at a time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
ADA regs are a PITA.

There is a scumbag lawyer (redundant I know) that is disabled around this area.  All he does is sends his "scouts" out to local hotels, restaurants, and businesses and have them find a non-ADA compliance issue.  He will then roll his fat ass to the place and either try to extort money from them, or bring suit against them if they don't pay.  I'm surprised that he is still alive actually.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the ADA with a passion.
View Quote

My wife is an architect, I get a weekly hate filled rant about the ADA, usually on Thursdays.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The ADA started with the best of intentions then morphed into some absolute disaster of a law that does not make sense and costs huge $$$$

I am working at our new fire station, this is an outlying station not an administrative station with the civilian secretaries and such. We have a handicap accessible shower  The way the seats fold up, a non handicapped person cannot really use the shower.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
At a former job I was involved in coordinating the ADA upgrade of putting braille signage on a drive up ATM.  Y'know. in case a blind guy drives up to the ATM.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At a former job I was involved in coordinating the ADA upgrade of putting braille signage on a drive up ATM.  Y'know. in case a blind guy drives up to the ATM.
View Quote

Not sure if serious?

If true a prime example of how stupid the law has become
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ADA regs are a PITA.

There is a scumbag lawyer (redundant I know) that is disabled around this area.  All he does is sends his "scouts" out to local hotels, restaurants, and businesses and have them find a non-ADA compliance issue.  He will then roll his fat ass to the place and either try to extort money from them, or bring suit against them if they don't pay.  I'm surprised that he is still alive actually.
View Quote

There's a lawyer and "professional plaintiff" team up in the DC/MD area that does the same thing all over VA, MD and DC. They'll go to mom and pop restaurants and stores and find some ticky-tacky technical ADA violations ("your sidewalk is sloped 3 degrees to steep and I was unable to enter your business") and file suit. There's an attorney's fee provision in the statute, so basically they make these places settle by paying to "fix" the issue, plus several thousand in atty's fees.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Such a bullshit law.

That's the beginning of a 8 mile running/biking trail near me...

These spots are never used.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Such a bullshit law.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy34/jonousa223/d424c58f12075a3ee4507e9b257028ec_zpsc77db8bd.jpg

View Quote

You must be in IL.

That's your state law in action, not the ADA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's a felon from Nevada who has opened +1000 court cases here with his lawyers sueing mom-n-pop places for having the bathroom mirror 3/4" too high or something stupid.

The guy dove off the second story of the prison and broke his neck ... he makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year sueing small stores.
View Quote

There seems to be one of those ADA shakedown squads in every state.

I do think that businesses should make reasonable accomodations, and that the tort system when operated as intended is far superior in every way to hamfisted government regulation. But this kind of shit pisses me off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So i just found out we had to replace a vending machine at work because the buttons are to high off the ground.   There is not one person in this building in a wheelchair and we don't even have any little people.

View Quote

Have they never heard of a stick?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's a felon from Nevada who has opened +1000 court cases here with his lawyers sueing mom-n-pop places for having the bathroom mirror 3/4" too high or something stupid.

The guy dove off the second story of the prison and broke his neck ... he makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year sueing small stores.
View Quote

That's why the ADA gets most of the hate. Remember when Clint Eastwood got sued? There are some making a career out of this.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You must be in IL.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Such a bullshit law.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy34/jonousa223/d424c58f12075a3ee4507e9b257028ec_zpsc77db8bd.jpg

You must be in IL.

Ga.

Pretty sure this falls under Title 2 of the ADA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Put a stick next to the machine with a label on it:  "ADA compliance stick."

Problem solved.  

You're welcome.   You can have that one for free.

eta: Or just get rid of the machine.   "There.  Now no one can have a coke."
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I do think that businesses should make reasonable accomodations, and that the tort system when operated as intended is far superior in every way to hamfisted government regulation. But this kind of shit pisses me off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing the point.   The ADA was written by sober, well-intentioned people.   It was intended to be reasonable.

Unintended consequences are no less real than intended ones, tho.

Repeal the mandate of accommodation and businesses who want to continue getting business from those with disabilities will accommodate their needs.  The rest, won't.    Either way, the market will sort it out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember what a PITA ADA regs were when I did my last plant layout.  The contractors didn't think 1/2" here or there would make a difference to the building inspector.  They ended up having to move all the dividers in the bathrooms before we were able to pass inspection - when the operating systems in the plant were GTG.  Same story - no handicapped employees or short people, etc.

15 years later I find myself wheelchair bound - permanantly.  That insignificant 1/2" actually can make the difference between turning around at the end of a dead end isle, or having to back out 100' to get to the main isle where there's room to do a 180 so you can go frontwards.

Pain in the ass to some (builders) but they only have to get it right once - preferably the FIRST time they build.  You can do it right the first time, or, you can do it over.  Anybody who bitches about ADA regs should be forced to live in, and operate from a wheelchair for a week - no cheating either.

NOT a rant, just a FYI from somebody who used to bitch about it that now understands from personal experience.

Peace.
-kid
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ga.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Such a bullshit law.

You must be in IL.

Ga.

It does, but a handful of states have their own accessibility laws that are more stringent than the ADA.  IL is one such, and I only guessed at it being yours since that parking configuration exceeds the minimum requirements of the ADA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're missing the point.   The ADA was written by sober, well-intentioned people.   It was intended to be reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not I'm not, no it wasn't, and no it wasn't. It was written by Congress and it deliberately included attorney's fees provisions to encourage people to file suit over small things. By the way, there are lots of these types of laws - it's not just the ADA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#22]
What if you hurt your leg and end up in a wheel chair for a while and want a snack though?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw a hilarious article a year or so ago, about a smart disabled man who made a folding stick to block off the handicapped space next to his van so he could keep people from parking next to him and keep him from getting in the car.

All I could think was, you have a powered wheel chair, maybe you should save the spaces for people who actually cant walk far.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a bad back.  I'll be sure to file a suit against you because bending over to push those low buttons will cause me great pain and suffering.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#25]
All this disability stuff is because of George Wallace, a Democrat that got himself shot while running for President.  And I swear that those wheel chair ramps are a danger to people that walk over them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I remember what a PITA ADA regs were when I did my last plant layout.  The contractors didn't think 1/2" here or there would make a difference to the building inspector.  They ended up having to move all the dividers in the bathrooms before we were able to pass inspection - when the operating systems in the plant were GTG.  Same story - no handicapped employees or short people, etc.

15 years later I find myself wheelchair bound - permanantly.  That insignificant 1/2" actually can make the difference between turning around at the end of a dead end isle, or having to back out 100' to get to the main isle where there's room to do a 180 so you can go frontwards.

Pain in the ass to some (builders) but they only have to get it right once - preferably the FIRST time they build.  You can do it right the first time, or, you can do it over.  Anybody who bitches about ADA regs should be forced to live in, and operate from a wheelchair for a week - no cheating either.

NOT a rant, just a FYI from somebody who used to bitch about it that now understands from personal experience.

Peace.
-kid
View Quote

fuck that noise.  I want to bitch because there aren't enough cripples to justify all the parking spaces. Those extra 20 feet are killing me.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I always use the handicap stall to take a dump.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Off to put some bricks under my coke machine
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Peace.
-kid
View Quote

With respect, the only thing that changed was your perspective.   The law is no more or less reasonable than it ever was.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
ADA drives a large portion of my profession.

I don't mind it at all
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All this disability stuff is because of George Wallace, a Democrat that got himself shot while running for President.  And I swear that those wheel chair ramps are a danger to people that walk over them.
View Quote

What's that safety rule for traveling on foot in the woods?  It works in civilization too.

"Don't step on anything you can step over, and don't step over any thing you can walk around."  You apparently have 2 legs, walk around the ramps if you can't safely negotiate such a hazardous obstacle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The ADA started with the best of intentions then morphed into some absolute disaster of a law that does not make sense and costs huge $$$$

I am working at our new fire station, this is an outlying station not an administrative station with the civilian secretaries and such. We have a handicap accessible shower  The way the seats fold up, a non handicapped person cannot really use the shower.
View Quote

We have lower than normal kitchen counters at my fire station, since apparently it needed to be ADA compliant for some reason. It actually makes it uncomfortable to cook because its low, and we have to have a special, expensive, dishwasher because a normal one won't fit.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
With respect, the only thing that changed was your perspective.   The law is no more or less reasonable than it ever was.
View Quote

Take me up on my "spend a week in a wheelchair challenge".  I'll bet your perspective will change.

Of course that suggestion will probably draw another "Fuck that shit" from you too.

edited for grammer
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What's that safety rule for traveling on foot in the woods?  It works in civilization too.

"Don't step on anything you can step over, and don't step over any thing you can walk around."  You apparently have 2 legs, walk around the ramps if you can't safely negotiate such a hazardous obstacle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.   We need an Americans Without Disabilities Act.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Take me up on my "spend a week in a wheelchair challenge".  I'll bet your perspective will change.

Of course that suggestion will probably draw another "Fuck that shit" from you too.

edited for grammer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edited for grammer

Reasonable arguments have nothing to do with perspective.

Here's two separate arguments:

Argument A:   The ADA is bullshit because no one should be forced to accomodate anyone else's physical needs by law.   The inherent reason in argument A stands whether the person making it is doing so from the perspective of a person with OR WITHOUT a disability.

Argument B:  The ADA is bullshit because it inconveniences me personally and for no other reason.    The exact opposite argument can and is made for the exact same reason by people with disabilities.  A dispassionate 3rd party must conclude that the argument is fallacious because it is completely subjective.

That was my point.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I concur.  Get one passed so I can have my leg back.  I'd appreciate it immensely. ::Taps left foot waiting:: TIA!
-kid
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I concur.  Get one passed so I can have my leg back.  I'd appreciate it immensely. ::Taps left foot waiting:: TIA!
-kid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-kid

That isn't analogous at all, tho.

The Aw/oDA would just force businesses to cater to the convenience of those without disabilities.

Your analogy would hold truth if the ADA caused people without disabilities to gain a disability.

Sorry about your leg.   But it isn't the government's job to force everyone to make accommodations for you, either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a lawyer and "professional plaintiff" team up in the DC/MD area that does the same thing all over VA, MD and DC. They'll go to mom and pop restaurants and stores and find some ticky-tacky technical ADA violations ("your sidewalk is sloped 3 degrees to steep and I was unable to enter your business") and file suit. There's an attorney's fee provision in the statute, so basically they make these places settle by paying to "fix" the issue, plus several thousand in atty's fees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ADA regs are a PITA.

Too bad they don't do that to the government owned buildings in DC. The gov exempted itself because they found it would be too expensive to upfit their buildings. I saw this when I went to the Smithsonian and other museums in DC a couple of years back.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Aw/oDA would just force businesses to cater to the convenience of those without disabilities.

Your analogy would hold truth if the ADA caused people without disabilities to gain a disability.

Sorry about your leg.   But it isn't the government's job to force everyone to make accommodations for you, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-kid

Geez, I wasn't aware they were doing it all for me.  Now I feel extra special!  

ETA, Do you feel that way about all ex-servicemen, or is it just me?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-kid

What way?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#41]
1Andy2,  
 You're right.  Fuck all those guys who came back from the sandbox all shot/blown up.  'm starting to agree with you now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
1Andy2,  
 You're right.  Fuck all those guys who came back from the sandbox all shot/blown up.  'm starting to agree with you now.
View Quote

Where did I say "fuck all those guys who came back from the sandbox all shot/blown up?"
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1Andy2,  
View Quote

Yeah, that's exactly what he is saying.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I bet the coin return in the new machine is 8" off the ground, so you break your back getting change.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I love how there is handicap parking spots close to the door of a Sams or Costco. They cant park far away but the can roam all over a couple acers of store. Our shooting range on base has a spot too. No its not open to Non duty shooting or the public. Only official duty.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Great example of a well intended law with unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh, Andy.... You're gonna be reaaaaaal popular in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Where did I say "fuck all those guys who came back from the sandbox all shot/blown up?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1Andy2,  

Where do we start ripping out the ADA ramps, etc. that inconveniance you so?  At the VA?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#49]
You should put a long stick chained to the side of the machine so they can punch the buttons with that
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
ADA regs are a PITA.

View Quote

Surprised no one has put them in a wheel chair.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top