Posted: 12/12/2013 5:28:35 AM EDT
Desperate for an effective treatment for the worst-off patients
(including some mentally ill World War I veterans) the VA embraced
lobotomy. At the time, tens of thousands of the procedures were being
performed in civilian hospitals, a wave inspired by two of lobotomy’s
most avid promoters, neurologist Walter Freeman and neurosurgeon James
Watts.

Many lobotomy patients exhibited symptoms that might now be
classified as PTSD, says Dr. Valenstein, the former VA psychiatrist.  

http://projects.wsj.com/lobotomyfiles/

There's a lesson in this somewhere...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

There's a lesson in this somewhere...

View Quote

Yes there is. Never let the government make your healthcare decisions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It was the state of the art in controlling some types of mental illness in both the public and private medical fields.  They thought it was the best option at the time, and so did most of the world.

Today, we consider ourselves evolved and wise, and we chop the dicks off men with mental issues that ask for it.  In 50-60 years, I think we'll be seen to be just as barbaric.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was the state of the art in controlling some types of mental illness in both the public and private medical fields.  They thought it was the best option at the time, and so did most of the world.

Today, we consider ourselves evolved and wise, and we chop the dicks off men with mental issues that ask for it.  In 50-60 years, I think we'll be seen to be just as barbaric.
View Quote

Don't forget the anti-vacc crew!

I haven't been hit by a meteor so my meteor repellent must be working!  Send those kids to the 3rd world and see if there's no value.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]
First post and all that....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top