Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 7:06:53 PM EDT
I finally bought a Double Mackinaw Filson coat and vest.

We had our first cold snap up here in Michigan today (15 degrees with 20-30 mph winds).

I layer a lot, use a shoulder holster and bought a size larger than normal (size 52 instead of 50).

Was outside with the doggie for 2 hours and another 2 hours smoking cigars and sipping whiskey on the deck.

Conclusion:  Very well made coat but you need to layer and I advise ordering one size larger for layering in cold climates.  It is a good winter coat IMHO.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the mackinaw bomber jacket and it is so warm it really doesn't see much use here in Texas. Really high quality though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Tin Jacket.  Five years and still going strong.  Seems like some of their stuff these days is much more "trendy."
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a tin cloth jacket and have had it for years. It is cool and old and durable as well as vastly outclassed by the new fibers and technology available. Sorry as much as I love old world craftsmanship Cabela's offers many and more choice that out perform Filson and have a pronounced weight and comfort advantage.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a tin cloth jacket and have had it for years. It is cool and old and durable as well as vastly outclassed by the new fibers and technology available. Sorry as much as I love old world craftsmanship Cabela's offers many and more choice that out perform Filson and have a pronounced weight and comfort advantage.
View Quote

What do you wear when it is 15 degrees and wind chills are 10 below zero?

I like down coats but layering with this wool coat is good.

I was surprised by that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
This post is spot on.  I have several Filson items and my favorite is my double mack.  It is a great coat for dog walking when it is below freezing.  It is classic, well made stuff.  

That being said, I spend a lot of time working outdoors in Alaska at -40° and I would never consider wearing something as heavy as wool.  There are much better choices for layering in extreme cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice duds, but I really didn't feel like taking out a home equity line on my mortgage.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Their tin cloth products are nigh unbeatable if you're trampling through briars or a blackberry bramble.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally bit the bullet and got a tin cruiser this year. Great jacket, but I can see how it's outclassed by modern tech. I don't really care, since it rarely gets below 40 here anyways.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always heard great things about Filson gear. I've seen it and it looks really well made.

My daily wear jacket is a 1970 Woolrich hunting coat in red and black plaid given to me by my father. It looks brand new. I have begun to tighten up the button holes though and have had to sew the buttons on better. Not too bad for a 43 year old coat.

That Filson should last just as long. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the classic Filson stuff while you can.  Abercrombie & Fitch and Eddie Bauer made real outdoor gear once, too.  Filson is headed the same direction.  It's a local company and I love their traditional stuff, but it is turning into a more fashion oriented brand
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get the classic Filson stuff while you can.  Abercrombie & Fitch and Eddie Bauer made real outdoor gear once, too.  Filson is headed the same direction.  It's a local company and I love their traditional stuff, but it is turning into a more fashion oriented brand
View Quote

While this is what I have observed somewhat with Filson they still put out plenty of quality gear. If they put out a profit line to appeal to yuppies that's fine.  They can also change directions Eddie Bauer is starting to put out some serious mountaineering gear again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This post is spot on.  I have several Filson items and my favorite is my double mack.  It is a great coat for dog walking when it is below freezing.  It is classic, well made stuff.    

That being said, I spend a lot of time working outdoors in Alaska at -40° and I would never consider wearing something as heavy as wool.  There are much better choices for layering in extreme cold weather.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I would not recommend my coat for this sort of cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't tried the Filson but did briefly own a similar Woolrich Wool Red/Plaid Hunting Coat.  Unfortunately the Woolrich was about 4" too short in the sleeves!

I see Filson does tall sizes, can anyone comment on their length?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't tried the Filson but did briefly own a similar Woolrich Wool Red/Plaid Hunting Coat.  Unfortunately the Woolrich was about 4" too short in the sleeves!

View Quote

I'm not tall 6'0" and 230lbs.

I do have long arms though..........36" sleeves minimum.

The sleeves of my Filson fit fine in regular but I got a size 52 which is larger than I need but I got it bigger to layer.

I would imagine the taller sizes would be good to go for what you are asking but I cannot say for sure.

But to give you an idea.............my friends are constantly making fun of my "ape arms".  (I have to admit they are a bit unnaturally long. )
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm 6' 4" , 270lbs  and also have long arms.

Hard to find jackets that cover my wrists.  Heck some don't cover 1/2 my fore-arms!

Cabela's Talls have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:36:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hard to find jackets that cover my wrists.  Heck some don't cover 1/2 my fore-arms!

View Quote

Oh boy, you are going to have to call Filson.

You are a big man with long arms.

Sorry, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction..................you will simply have to call them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:37:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 6'2", 180 lbs, and the Seattle fit in medium fits perfectly. The sleeves are spot on. I can measure them if you need.

I believe Filson will make one-off stuff for a price.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm 6'2", 180 lbs, and the Seattle fit in medium fits perfectly. The sleeves are spot on. I can measure them if you need.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they will.

For his size though he will need the Alaska fit like I do but that shouldn't make the arms shorter, maybe even longer.

I do have long arms and the Alaska fit for me is good to go in the arms.  But I bought one size larger for layering.  So that had to help.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Over the past twenty years, I've bought and used at least a
dozen Filson products; perhaps more...All exceeded expectations.

Today, I'd think twice about most anything Filson....no longer

convinced the quality matches the price.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer, not necessary.   They really don't have my chest size either, so I'd have to go that custom route.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sorry, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction..................you will simply have to call them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, yup I'm a big dude.  54" Chest also.

Love wool as it lets me breathe and keeps me warm
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:45:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

More and more of it is no longer made in the United States, as well
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was surprised by that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was surprised by that.

Windchill is -20 here right now and the temp is -4. When I walked my dag I wore a carhartt hoodie and my carhartt chore coat. I was plenty warm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Windchill is -20 here right now and the temp is -4. When I walked my dag I wore a carhartt hoodie and my carhartt chore coat. I was plenty warm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was surprised by that.

I just picked up one of the Carhartt chore coats a few weeks ago.  Does the job very well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I just picked up one of the Carhartt chore coats a few weeks ago.  Does the job very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was surprised by that.

I have a Wrangler coat that is similar and it is pretty good along those lines also.

I just wanted more breathability because I am heavy and over heat pretty easily.  (6'0", 230lbs.)

I work up a sweat when walking the doggie in the woods, even when it is real cold.............not minus 40F cold but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL, yup I'm a big dude.  54" Chest also.

Love wool as it lets me breathe and keeps me warm
View Quote

The largest size they sell without getting a special order is the 54" chest.

You might be just too big for a standard Filson and might very well have to go with a special order.

The Alaska fit is roomy but you are getting right up there at the standard limit IMHO.

I'm guessing you would have to special order with an Alaska fit 56" chest for layering, same for vest, and have the arms made 2" longer even in the tall size.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
There are lighter, warmer coats for really cold weather.  For busting through any kind of brush with thorns their tin cloth is unbeatable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Wore a Double Mackinaw coat and Filson Vest to hunt deer in northern Michigan for many years.  Some years it is dang cold and snowy by Camp Grayling in late November.

Love all the Filson stuff, but most of it has gotten quite expensive and I doubt I will be buying more of it in the coming years.  Have four coats, a Mackinaw Vest, three bidal leather belts and three hats, all Filson.  Sort of want the standard Mackinaw coat, but how much do you really need?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I have used a blaze orange cruiser vest for hunting for nigh on 30 years- best damn vest ever made.  Pa gave it to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Mackinaw and a Double Mackinaw cruiser.

Wool is very quiet in the woods.  The high humidity where I live and hunt makes wool a viable choice.  I have been out in driving rain where it is just above freezing and have not been cold.  I should have weighed that jacket that day- it must have been 20 pounds sopping wet.

I like Filson wool products and I like the tin cloth upland vests.  They have held up well.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

While this is what I have observed somewhat with Filson they still put out plenty of quality gear. If they put out a profit line to appeal to yuppies that's fine.  They can also change directions Eddie Bauer is starting to put out some serious mountaineering gear again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just hope Filson doesn't have to go through bankruptcy like Eddie Bauer did.  Then again, I'd rather see that than watch Filson turn into another Abercrombie

Don't get me wrong, I love my Filson stuff.  I own three Cruisers (Double Mackinaw, regular Mackinaw and Whipcord) and a pair of Whipcord pants.  I want to get a Tin Cloth Packer next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top