Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 6:45:33 PM EDT
When we start to get cold up here, not super cold about -30C my truck does not want to start, there is no click from the solenoid at all trying to engage.

Battery is good, all contacts are clean, usually if I hold the key in the crank position after a minute or so it will decided to start

is this a gummed up solenoid?

the starter and solenoid are original 1997
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Solenoid is probably crap.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a Ford.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It won't start because it's a Ford

ETA:  Beat by 16 seconds
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Get both- starter and battery. Or just buy a Chevy. Lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When we start to get cold up here, not super cold about -30C my truck does not want to start, there is no click from the solenoid at all trying to engage.

Battery is good, all contacts are clean, usually if I hold the key in the crank position after a minute or so it will decided to start

View Quote

From a guy living in Vegas -------->>  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell that's only -22F
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Solenoid or ignition switch.
Either way it won't break the bank replacing them.

I'd start with the solenoid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Not super cold... my ass.  I'm in MT and -22F works out as super cold in my book.  Most of the folks on here would curl up and die if faced with -22F.  
But yeah, get a new battery.  Put one of those battery tender thingys on it to keep it alive.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
22 degrees is cold in my book.

-22?  I don't think so, Governor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a Ford.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  The 'hold the key' thing says that it isn't the battery or battery cables.  Something is warming up a bit while you hold the key.  That would be the solenoid most likely.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#13]
It's something icing somewhere I think. Dealt with this on a certain Ford before. Turn key, nothing happens. Take starter half way out, give up, put starter back on, works like new.

Or, put in gear, rock vehicle back and forth, there ya go. Or throw a heater under it. Still don't know why, but what a pain.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not super cold... my ass.  I'm in MT and -22F works out as super cold in my book.  Most of the folks on here would curl up and die if faced with -22F.  
But yeah, get a new battery.  Put one of those battery tender thingys on it to keep it alive.
View Quote

I'm from the great white northeast and regularly wash my balls with ice water for recreational purposes

I will testify that -22 is fucking cold, at that temperature jack frost goes to work on your fingertips and ears with a pair of pliers

at that temperature weird shit starts happening, like you lock a door with ease and then the lock freezes a minute later and you cannot get back inside

that actually happened to me one time

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's something icing somewhere I think. Dealt with this on a certain Ford before. Turn key, nothing happens. Take starter half way out, give up, put starter back on, works like new.

Or, put in gear, rock vehicle back and forth, there ya go. Or throw a heater under it. Still don't know why, but what a pain.
View Quote

or, take a wooden dowel and smack the starter a few times

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.  The 'hold the key' thing says that it isn't the battery or battery cables.  Something is warming up a bit while you hold the key.  That would be the solenoid most likely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if he was to try it using a jump from another vehicle with the engine revved up, that would also be a test

if the starter cranks, then he knows he needs a heavy duty battery

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Start a fire under it like the germans did to their tanks in Russia.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
-30C
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't fucking start either.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know about that I had a VW jetta that would do almost that exact same thing and it turned out that batt cable was bad. It actually snapped at the battery when I removed the clamp

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Besides the electrics, what weight oil you running?  Shit can the starter / solenoid and install a new high cold crank battery or as they say up nort  BATT TREE.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol coldest it got this year was 20 at night and that was last week. Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top