Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2013 5:42:16 PM EDT
I was in Costco this afternoon and spotted this.  Kirkland (Glenlivet) 40y/o scotch.  Then I spotted the price.  lol wow.

Anyone tried this? Hell, has anyone even seen this before?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Given, value that Costco provides, and Kirkland brand's quality, I will say this bottle without Costco label will be worth around 1 grand or little more.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
40 years in the cask?

Wow.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
40 years in the cask?

Wow.
View Quote

That's a crazy low price for a Scotch that's been in a cask that long....assuming it's good.

I often buy their 18 and 21 "Kirkland" brand, and it's very good for the price.

Haven't been to Costco for a few weeks, right about now is when they typically get another Scotch batch in.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
40 years in the cask?

Wow.
View Quote

Want
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd hate to accidentally knock that display over....  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad price actually. Like the above said, slap a different label and you are probably going to pay more.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I imagine that bottle's origins are from a little known regional Whiskey Company who has a shit ton of product and no local market to sustain it.

CNBC did a special on Costco, CEO/CoFounder is an Asshole Obamanaught . But they go out of their way to find good stuff to sell. The Costco spirits purchaser was originally a low level clerk and worked her way up. She flies all over the world looking for the next big thing in wine, champaign, and other liquors to put in a bottle and slap a Costco/Kirkland Label on.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Independent bottling are cheaper because it is JUST 40 years.
If you bought a 40 year old from Glenlivet, the youngest whisky is 40 years old.  There are older whiskys blended in to give their signature taste.
Brokers buy casks and have the distillery store them, or they store them themselves.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not a high price when dealing with scotch.
Glenlivet 25 is around $300.
Macallan 25 is around $750.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can barely afford Maker's Mark and Vodka with a black Label that says Vodka.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
It'll probably sell out here. Lots of money here in the valley. They had a load of Blantons a couple of weeks ago and it was gone in a couple of days. I got mine.

Yes I know Blantons isn't 40 y/o Scotch.  But it also ain't $700.00.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]

If it is a single cask bottling (and I bet it is) it could be VERY good, or trash.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw them advertising this in my recent mail flyer. I spend enough there already....
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there a scotch out there that doesn't cost several hundred dollars per bottle and doesn't taste like medicine?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there a scotch out there that doesn't cost several hundred dollars per bottle and doesn't taste like medicine?
View Quote

Dalmore 12.  ~$60
Highland Park 15 ~$70

The islay region scotches and some of the Island region scotches have a pretty heavy iodine taste (like talisker.  Talisker is like a laphroaig lite)  Islay also has strong peat.
Try lowlands and southern highlands.   Speysides are a little bit spicier.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
I can only wish that medicine tasted like scotch.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, it's called Bourbon.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*rimshot*

this right is here is as good as it gets, sadly out of stock everywhere at this point.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And had the same price tag.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I would get me some Obamacare!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never personally see a scotch older than 25 years, but then I'm not really a scotch drinker so I've never looked.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like something I must try some day

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mcclellands Highland
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#25]
The Macallan 12 or Oban 14
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never personally see a scotch older than 25 years, but then I'm not really a scotch drinker so I've never looked.
View Quote

These are the 4 oldest I have.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Macallan 12 or Oban 14
View Quote

Oban uses lightly peated malts from Roseisle and the 14 has a pretty distinct  iodine taste.

Oban and Talisker are close in flavor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not calling bullshit but something isn't adding with that product.  Aged for 40 years?

According to the American Distilling Institute, http://www.distilling.com/PDF/chapter4.pdf, a barrel loses 10% of remaining volume each year during the aging process.  It says it is not uncommon for a 53 gallon barrel to only be half full after 15 years.

I ran the numbers and aging a 53 gallon barrel under the normal aging process for 40 years would leave you with only 0.87 gallons.  That is about 4 1/2 of the 750ml bottles and a sale price of $3,145.  A 15 year old whiskey will sell between $75 and $150 a bottle.  The 53 gallon barrel would have 12 gallons left which comes out to 61 bottles.  Even at the cheap price that comes out to $4,575 in sales.  But you are going to tell me a company will wait another 25 years so that they can make less money on it?  There is some trickery going on here.  I'm guessing the product is stored in a barrel for 40 years but not aged.  That way it isn't losing as much alcohol.  Even then I bet what is left has had water cut into it.  The idea of a whiskey aged 40 years sounds great but who knows what you would really be getting.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]

lol.

How many did you get?

eta holy carp!  I just looked this up, I thought it was a misprinted label or something. Nope, it's legit. Over in England it goes for 25,000 pounds(I don't know how to do that funny swirly British thingie). The Costco $20k price is a bargain!

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Someone added two extra nines.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

i'd lick it from the floor if i did
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Toyota Camry or Bottle of Scotch? it's an amusing question of what to do with 20 large. I don't get to rub elbows with the folks that choose the scotch. IIRC something like that is an investment and not meant for consumption but I'd have to lock it away, just too tempting some nights.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mother of God, the last bottle of Glenlivet 30 I bought was less than $150

They can keep the Macallan 25 for that price, too dry and raisiny for my tastes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not calling bullshit but something isn't adding with that product.  Aged for 40 years?

According to the American Distilling Institute, http://www.distilling.com/PDF/chapter4.pdf, a barrel loses 10% of remaining volume each year during the aging process.  It says it is not uncommon for a 53 gallon barrel to only be half full after 15 years.

I ran the numbers and aging a 53 gallon barrel under the normal aging process for 40 years would leave you with only 0.87 gallons.  That is about 4 1/2 of the 750ml bottles and a sale price of $3,145.  A 15 year old whiskey will sell between $75 and $150 a bottle.  The 53 gallon barrel would have 12 gallons left which comes out to 61 bottles.  Even at the cheap price that comes out to $4,575 in sales.  But you are going to tell me a company will wait another 25 years so that they can make less money on it?  There is some trickery going on here.  I'm guessing the product is stored in a barrel for 40 years but not aged.  That way it isn't losing as much alcohol.  Even then I bet what is left has had water cut into it.  The idea of a whiskey aged 40 years sounds great but who knows what you would really be getting.

View Quote

If it says 40, it is at least 40 by law.

With scotch, you can legally have up to 184 gallon casks (700 liters).
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They can keep the Macallan 25 for that price, too dry and raisiny for my tastes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 21 is $150 now.
$180 for my Mac 18.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Macallan 12.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Macallan 12.

Overrated.   Just like Glenmoringie.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not disputing 40 years in a barrel.  I'm doubting it went through the aging cycle of hot and cold temperatures for 40 years.  The profit just isn't there at the price it is selling at.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm not disputing 40 years in a barrel.  I'm doubting it went through the aging cycle of hot and cold temperatures for 40 years.  The profit just isn't there at the price it is selling at.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you there.  These casks were probably bought and stored somewhere else.  
The Angel's share for scotch is usually 2% though, and not 10%.   If the barrel is stored at 60% humidity it will lose alcohol.  Below this and it loses water.   You could store it at a low humidity ( but not low enough to dry the casks) and later cut it with water to bring the ABV to 40%.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lol.

How many did you get?

eta holy carp!  I just looked this up, I thought it was a misprinted label or something. Nope, it's legit. Over in England it goes for 25,000 pounds(I don't know how to do that funny swirly British thingie). The Costco $20k price is a bargain!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol.

How many did you get?

Damn.  You are right.   Not a typo.  Only 200 bottles.   I wonder if they sold them all.  
IIRC JW was charging a huge amount for some limited edition bottling then Diageo ended up discounting the bottles a lot and pissing off collectors.

ETA: It was the JW blue 200th anniversiary.   They discounted it to $500 whosale in 09.       the stuff originialy sold for $3500 and collectors thought it would balloon in price.   Now you can get a bottle for $1700 or so.

http://www.ibuywineonline.com/johnnie-walker-blue-200th-anniversary.html
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine does.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#43]

I'll take 2!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'll take 2!
View All Quotes

I hear they sell the 20yo for $45.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dalmore 12.  ~$60
Highland Park 15 ~$70

The islay region scotches and some of the Island region scotches have a pretty heavy iodine taste (like talisker.  Talisker is like a laphroaig lite)  Islay also has strong peat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dalmore 12.  ~$60
Highland Park 15 ~$70

Balvenie 12 ~ $40

Dalmore and Balvenie are my go-tos for value Scotches.

Back to the OP - like others have said, it's probably a good deal. But there's something really weird about dropping that much coin on a store brand I'd love to taste it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Balvenie 12 ~ $40

Back to the OP - like others have said, it's probably a good deal. But there's something really weird about dropping that much coin on a store brand I'd love to taste it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dalmore 12.  ~$60
Highland Park 15 ~$70

Balvenie 12 ~ $40

Not a fan of Balvienie 12.  

It has a taste and slight finish of the rubber that Legos uses for their tires.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Lol. The grocery stores around here put crown royale and grey goose behind locked cases so they can't be stolen.

Costco puts a $20k bottle out on display with no security. Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol. The grocery stores around here put crown royale and grey goose behind locked cases so they can't be stolen.

Costco puts a $20k bottle out on display with no security. Awesome,
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is what surprised me.  Specs locks up Mac 18.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, it's in a box with plexi screwed over it, and the box looks to be part of the display case. A screwgun would take care of that, but would actually take longer (and probably make more noise) than smashing a glass case
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

*rimshot*

this right is here is as good as it gets, sadly out of stock everywhere at this point.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/de/e7/f5dee720f907fb3acca1d20cfa55ffa2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*rimshot*

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/de/e7/f5dee720f907fb3acca1d20cfa55ffa2.jpg

I just came
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top